Who offers the best kids program?

dc00

some people think it's best to put a bike helmet on their head, put a leash on them and put them in the half pipe...thats not a good idea. now as for best program i really don't know, CB's is good, but it's also the only one i really know. just some tips, dress them in layers, don't push them, and if they want to take a snack/potty/rest break let them, it will make ur day alot nicer then if u push them. my parents rule of thumb was 4 runs then a 5 min break(this was from the time i was 18 months, till i was 4) unless i said i wanted to keep going.

Firstly, most Pocono ski areas have pretty good ski programs for kids, since they rely on lots of beginner/intermediate families...an amazing number of kids that we teach at our small hill are kids whose parents don't even ski/board. So if price is an issue, you can use the links to the ski areas on this site to shop around and you'll probably have a good experience no matter where you go.

That said...I'll share my personal knowledge that comes mostly from friends that have had kids in them....

CB has a reputation of a very good system, with very friendly instructors. A friend took a very shy 1st grade girl to them and she ended up loving her instructor and went back four or five times. The only complaint was they were a little overwhelmed by the number of people and said it felt a little like a Saturday at Sesame Place. Bottom line: she graduated to being able to make it down green circles pretty fast.

Shawnee: Also a high volume program, we had friends that weren't thrilled with Shawnee. But they also went during a scout weekend, so it may not be a fair critique. Bottom line: their two kids had fun, but the parents didn't feel they improved much.

Montage/Sno: I have first hand knowledge that the instructors are a mix of Willy Wonka and Mary Poppins...eh, I mean that in a good way. If you drive the extra distance, you'll find the least crowds---so the most personal service---and some of the most fun instructors in the region. The only downside was the lack of a magic carpet lift, which I believe the new owners are installing.

Alpine Mountain: the entire hill is about families and kids programs. Maybe not known for a cutting edge system---friends rented really crappy 80cm skis at the mountain---but if you can get there when it's non-holiday, you'll probably have a great time at a great price.

Elk: I don't know much about Elk's program, but you'll probably get an instructor that's been doing the same job (and loving it) for 20 years.

JF/BB: again, I don't know much about their programs, but their junior race program is first rate. In fact, their J4/5 are always among the best in PA, although the limited difficult terrain holds back the training for the older kids.

Maybe someone else can throw in their 2 cents regarding Blue, BC, Twood, and any other places...

JF/BB: again, I don't know much about their programs, but their junior race program is first rate. In fact, their J4/5 are always among the best in PA, although the limited difficult terrain holds back the training for the older kids.

I've watched some of the instructors at JF teaching and they seemed to be really in touch with the kids. Both sides seemed to be having fun at what they were doing and the kids looked like they were really having fun.

My son as a 4 year old went through a series of weekday lessons at Blue, and since then has had follow on lessons at both Blue and Camelback. My Daughter also took snowboard lessons at CB.

The quality of the instruction at CB (IMO) is inconsistent and on busy weekends it's more like daycare, my son learns nothing.

The program at Blue is excellent, I have posted on here many times before how impressed I have been by their "explorers" program.

Both of mine have taken the "private lesson" option at CB as well as the normal "ski-school" and this has been a good experience for them, CB does have some great instructors.

My kids have had instruction at jfbb the last 2 seasons. And for 3 hours of on the snow instruction (and babysitting) you can't beat it. My older son has made friends with several instructors and they stop and say hi every time they see him in the lodge (he feels cool haha).

My kids were 6 & 8 when they first learned to ski. Their first lesson was a group lesson at CB. This sounds obvious but the key to a good first lesson is the instructor. My daughter really struggled and the instructor did a very good thing - he asked another instructor for advice on why my daughter was having a problem.

The other instructor took all of five seconds to realize my daughter had her knees touching. Voila - problem solved and daughter very happy.

Another cute memory I have is the instructor hoisting my daughter over his shoulder to walk her back up. My daughter shrieked with laughter.

After that we went with private lessons. I think you get a price break when you have more than one signed up for a private lesson (or something like that).

So if CBs your closest mtn then give their ski school a try.

That's great that you want to get the kids going at an early age!! At Camelback they would both be in the Sugar Bears Childrens program. You can get the specifics off of the website (www.skicamelback.com).

All ski areas in the Poconos have great learning programs and I am confident that your kids would have a great time at any one resort. If you are new to skiing, I would reccomend that you call (the ski area of your choice) in advance and get the low-down on times of instruction and an idea of getting through the "process" -- purchasing lift tix, lesson and rentals -- and the ski school meeeting area/childrens learning center.

Thanks for thinking of Pocono skiing.

Edited by SkiCamelback

Hi,

I'd like to introduce my 6 and 4 year old kids to ski this year, once we actually see some snow. Wondering which ski resort in the area offers the best program for kids? Any inputs or tips would be greatly appreciated.

JFBB.. has the snow and has really stoked and proud employees in this rather dismal winter. The Pocono's are well known for being great with kids. There is great information in this thread. Best advice is to call ahead and get all the information you can. My kids learned at Shawnee at 2 & 3 years old, but that was 10 years ago.

My 3 kids 8,12,14 are all Blue Explorer (it was ski-wee i think when the oldest did it) grads and i thought they did a great job. They have conitnued off and on with group lessons for skiing/boarding at blue and overall its been great. My middle child has some special needs/abilities (she's a heart transplant recipient) and they have been very accomodating. If you time the group lessons right you can get a small group or even a private. We have had bettter instructor experiences at the summit ski school than the valley although the bunny slope/lift is nicer at the valley...

Thanks for all the feedbacks. Seems like they are all pretty good. Price is not an issue but I guess they are all similar. Which resorts have the carpet-like ride for kids? I think that would make it easier for them.

Another thing is to avoid the crowd. I guess farther way from NJ/NY means less crowd. :)

We just went through the same thing for my 5 yr old and 7 yr old daughters. Our experience is limited to Jack Frost and CB:

JF - 3 hour sessions for $70 (weekend w/ rentals) - It was good for them to have this much time vs. a 1.5 hr lession at CB to start out. About 2.5 hours on the snow. Both progressed well and were riding lifts and blues (Easy rider & Janes Lane) within 1-2 lessons. Great instructors. Smaller classes than CB (1-4 people, we had several lessons there that ended up being private as no one else showed). Also, a big factor is that there are a lot less people on the greens and the greens are more segregated at JF than at CB so there were not a lot of people blowing by them as they were learning.

CB - Choices are 1.5 hour lessons ($25 + ticket + rentals) or full day ($110 w/rental). We had ours in 2 of the 1.5 hr lessons per day after they started at JF. Some points here are that you spend a lot of time getting in, evaluated and out on the snow during the lesson so much less real teaching time on the snow in 3 hours worth of these lessons vs. 1 JF 3 hour lesson. Also, importantly once they get on the greens (Meadows) there are lots of people dropping in at speed from the back/blue/green runs up above and it's really quite dangerous (for everyone) to have beginner children out there. It really turned out that the instructors were just trying to make sure they didn't get killed by someone from above (including from me). That said, once they get skilled enough to confidently ride the blues, the full day lesson might be great for keeping them out there longer with more on snow instruction than JF.

Bottom line - I would start them at JF and see what they like better for more advanced lessons (JF 3 hr or CB full day) once they can ride the blues at JF.

We just went through the same thing for my 5 yr old and 7 yr old daughters. Our experience is limited to Jack Frost and CB:

JF - 3 hour sessions for $70 (weekend w/ rentals) - It was good for them to have this much time vs. a 1.5 hr lession at CB to start out. About 2.5 hours on the snow. Both progressed well and were riding lifts and blues (Easy rider & Janes Lane) within 1-2 lessons. Great instructors. Smaller classes than CB (1-4 people, we had several lessons there that ended up being private as no one else showed). Also, a big factor is that there are a lot less people on the greens and the greens are more segregated at JF than at CB so there were not a lot of people blowing by them as they were learning.

CB - Choices are 1.5 hour lessons ($25 + ticket + rentals) or full day ($110 w/rental). We had ours in 2 of the 1.5 hr lessons per day after they started at JF. Some points here are that you spend a lot of time getting in, evaluated and out on the snow during the lesson so much less real teaching time on the snow in 3 hours worth of these lessons vs. 1 JF 3 hour lesson. Also, importantly once they get on the greens (Meadows) there are lots of people dropping in at speed from the back/blue/green runs up above and it's really quite dangerous (for everyone) to have beginner children out there. It really turned out that the instructors were just trying to make sure they didn't get killed by someone from above (including from me). That said, once they get skilled enough to confidently ride the blues, the full day lesson might be great for keeping them out there longer with more on snow instruction than JF.

Bottom line - I would start them at JF and see what they like better for more advanced lessons (JF 3 hr or CB full day) once they can ride the blues at JF.

A "full day" at CB ski school doesn't get them much more time on the snow.

They have a 10 o'clock start, 1.5 hours on the snow, lunch, another 1.5 hours and they're done by 3pm which is pick-up time.

Did they allow you to put your kids in "normal" lessons (the $25 ones) at 5 and 7? I was told they would have to go into the ski-school (at $115 now) even though they have season passes and their own gear.

A "full day" at CB ski school doesn't get them much more time on the snow.

They have a 10 o'clock start, 1.5 hours on the snow, lunch, another 1.5 hours and they're done by 3pm which is pick-up time.

Did they allow you to put your kids in "normal" lessons (the $25 ones) at 5 and 7? I was told they would have to go into the ski-school (at $115 now) even though they have season passes and their own gear.

Yes, they went into the $25 1.5 hour lessons starting at 10.15 am and 2 pm.

Quoted from the CB web site at http://www.skicamelback.com/instruction.php - "At Camelback, families and first-timers will be enjoying the mountain in no time. Our instructors offer classes for all ability levels