World Cup Results from Today

Ski

Bode absolutely smoked the field in what's generally considered the second most prestigious downhill event, The Lauberhorn, in Wengen, Switzerland.

Here's the story from Eurosport:

American Bode Miller won the classic Lauberhorn downhill with a dramatic finish line crash that he said he had planned all along.

"I pretty much knew at the start of the race that I was going to crash at the finish," Miller told reporters after picking up his fourth World Cup win of the season, and the 25th of his career.

Miller said he had decided to go flat out coming through the course's final s-shaped turns and over the last jump despite knowing that it would throw him directly into a large dip in front of the finish.

"You can ski slowly through the final (turns) and stay standing but I wanted to carry my speed. I knew that would mean ending up all the way down in the compression and that if I tried to match my body angle to the pitch I could go flat on my face.

"So I went off the bump (leaning) back a bit and just kind of sat down. It felt fine."

Miller has earned a reputation for crazy stunts in the past -- most notably when he lost a ski during the downhill stage of a world championship combined race, but decided to complete the course on one leg.

His apparent decision to include a fall in his pre-race tactics met with similar incredulity on Saturday, with his fellow skiers seemingly in no hurry to copy Miller's approach.

"I think if you have to take that kind of fall to win, then I don't agree with that kind of thinking," said Switzerland's Didier Cuche after finishing the race upright, and in second place behind Miller.

"I'm ready to take the risk of falling but I'm not ready to plan doing it beforehand and risk getting injured.

"If it was Bode's absolute plan to fall like that, then all I can say is he was lucky and I just hope he stays healthy until the end of the season."

U.S. head coach Phil McNichol was treating Miller's claim with a little more scepticism.

"Maybe it had been in the back of his mind that he might have to fall and then it became a bigger thing in his mind after it actually happened," McNichol told Reuters.

"I doubt he really thought about it until he was on the course and feeling fatigued and then just thought 'I'm going really fast, let's give it everything and who cares if I fall?'"

Italy's Peter Fill finished Saturday's race in third place, a distant 1.47 seconds behind Miller, after taking a similar spill on the final section of the sapping 4.5-km long course.

The Italian said tactics had played no part in his own tumble.

"My energy was just completely gone at the end," said Fill. "That was the only reason."

Nice try, Bode. We all know you fell because you were hungover.

How often have you told people to shut up for making pointless posts? If you were paying attention, you'd know that Bode's been doing great in most speed events, including leading the WC in Super G.

What is this question about "cap times"? Saw that before and had no clue. Is it like par in golf or something?

It's just a NASTAR thing, Sib...it's the time it takes to straight run a NASTAR course, without using turning gates. It's AKA as "tuck time", "terminal velocity", and a few other names. If that time is too close to the par time, then it means the course is too straight. It's also suggested to not have the par time too far from the cap time, which means it's too turny. In over 20 years of NASTAR, I've seen it checked five times...

I've been told repeatedly that I don't know what it is, though, so you might want to check for yourself... :rolleyes:

No cap times, Grilled. They use homologations...it's pretty complicated, so maybe alpine racing expert 1st Grade can step in and explain them.

A homologation report states all the specifications of the venue. If you are running a scored race it must be done on a homologated hill. The report states everything from length, width, pitch, vertical drop, areas that need to be fenced and various other specs. As Ski stated, it is very in depth.

:ph34r:

Is Google where you learned to be an Astronaut?

I didn't know those things were on par with being an astronaut!

Is it that hard to believe that I was a sports writer, as well as a photographer? Is it such an amazing accomplishment that I also was a starter for PA Cup races? That's somehow hard to fathom?

I was a staff sports writer at the Bridgewater Courier-News, which is a mid-size daily newspaper, just down the road from Metzy...

Get out and do things, 1st Grade...stop being jealous and angry. There are doctors and lawyers and cops and photographers and computer people that are traveling the world right now on this MB...if it's what you want to do, then just do it. It's that simple.

I didn't know those things were on par with being an astronaut!

Is it that hard to believe that I was a sports writer, as well as a photographer? Is it such an amazing accomplishment that I also was a starter for PA Cup races? That's somehow hard to fathom?

I was a staff sports writer at the Bridgewater Courier-News, which is a mid-size daily newspaper, just down the road from Metzy...

Get out and do things, 1st Grade...stop being jealous and angry. There are doctors and lawyers and cops and photographers and computer people that are traveling the world right now on this MB...if it's what you want to do, then just do it. It's that simple.

That's nice Neil.

:ph34r:

Mrs. Garrett is one hot bitch...thanks alot Ski..now I have the theme song to the Facts of Life stuck in my head..

You're welcome! Is it the first season, season two through five, or the credits? Hey, something to sing in the Hobacks!

Seasons 1

There's a place you've got to go for learning

all you want to know about the facts of life

the facts of life.

When books are what you're there about

and looks are what you care about

the time is right,

to learn the facts of life.

When the world never seems

to be living up to your dreams

it's time you started finding out

what everything is all about

When the boys you used to hate you date,

I guess you best investigate

the facts of life you gotta get'em right

the facts of life,

the facts of life,

the facts of life

Seasons 2-5

You take the good, you take the bad,

you take them both and there you have

The Facts of Life, the Facts of Life.

There's a time you got to go and show

You're growin' now you know about

The Facts of Life, the Facts of Life.

When the world never seems

to be livin up to your dreams

And suddenly you're finding out

the Facts of Life are all about you, you.

It takes a lot to get 'em right

When you're learning the Facts of Life. (learning the Facts of Life)

Learning the Facts of Life (learning the Facts of Life)

Learning the Facts of Life.

End Credits

You'll avoid a lot of damages

an enjoy the fun of managing

the facts of life;

they shed a lot of light

If you hear them from your brother,

better clear them with your mother

better get them right,

call her late at night

You got the future in the palm of your hands

all you gotta do to get you through is understand