100% open

ski14

I was talking to the race director this evening about scheduling an ASRA race at Sno and he told me that they had been planning to really hit all slopes to showcase the mountain for the USSA J1/2 race (that's 'Dude's race) that was supposed to be today, but postponed until Feb.

What we thought looked like a race finish shack at the bottom of Smoke is exactly that. There will be a permanent race venue on Smoke (not that gates will always be set, but the start/finish gear will be there for organized races), which is freaking awesome. Not only does it take training off of Boomer, but Smoke is 1000x better than the Switch NASTAR course...and Smoke is pretty much a waste of time without gates.

All trails open by tuesday, january 23

This IS on their website.

Like a lot of others, I don't believe it either.

Prior to opening, their website said something like their snowmaking capacity could put 1&1/2 feet of snow on the mountain in 1&1/2 days. That may be true IF they could run all of their guns at the same time.

Maybe they are going to make snow only on the trails that are not open yet, but this still seems like a stretch.

Why would they put this on their website if they couldn't do it? Do they talk to the snowmaking crew? What do you regulars think?

Anyway, my son and I will likely be there on Wed. night. I would love it if they had TTB skiing!

The current top to bottom skiing entails making a long skate at the bottom of Mainline down to the NF. Without Upper Fast Track or Upper Runaway, Spike (which is still closed) is the only easy way to connect to the North Face. Right now, it's probably best to do some laps on Switch or Whistler, then go down and do some laps on the North Face. And even if two TTB slopes were open, I'd still tell people to stay off the Long Haul chair and, instead, do Phoebe Snow to Iron Horse...I just don't trust Long Haul not to break down. Bad memories.

As to snowmaking capacity, I'm not so sure the Sno website is just hyperbole...I was amazed at how many guns were firing at once. I've never seen so much snow being made at once at CB, Booter, or any other resort except for Hunter. So far, Sno Mountain LLC has done exactly what they promised---just later, because of the lawsuit.

Locals should appreciate the solitude for the rest of this year, then part of next. There's no way Sno isn't going to more than triple skier visits during the '08 season.

Yeah, Big, it's a little like they've been in panic mode, blowing absolutely everything. The night Sno Mountain Skier had such a rotten night, we all had to walk from the Iron Horse lift up to the shuttle bus after we were done--and they had guns pointed at you where you had to walk. Kind of nuts.

I'm not crazy about skiing through snow guns either. Blue usually does a pretty good job of aiming the guns to one side of the trail, when they can, so you can get by without skiing though a blizzard. They then groom it out the next day.

It seems like Sno is really trying to show their firepower, or uh snowpower rather. Even though they got a late start, with the warm weather and washouts, everyone was really starting from scratch when it got cold last week. They got a lot of coverage in a short time even compared to the other areas who had been open.

When I mentioned TTB, I was referring to Runaway and Fast Track. Never skied those trails. I would think that they had the lifts serviced after the closing so hopefully Long Haul will be not breaking down.

Yeah, Big, it's a little like they've been in panic mode, blowing absolutely everything. The night Sno Mountain Skier had such a rotten night, we all had to walk from the Iron Horse lift up to the shuttle bus after we were done--and they had guns pointed at you where you had to walk. Kind of nuts.

I'll probably hold off for another week and go to JF Tues. I like to enjoy myself when going to different mts. Besides, by next week, there should be more for my money.

Edited by bigdaddyk

They've got piles of snow taller than the lift stations on runaway, the snowmakers tonight said it should be open midweek. They are planning on making more snow on white tonight. They won't be 100% tomorrow, that's not possible. But the firepower up there is insane. Like Ski said, enjoy the empty slopes while they last, because Sno is going to be one of the most popular places around once all the updates are completed.

Are they blowing snow on open trails, while you ski? I was thinking about going on Tuesday, but I'm not a big fan of having my goggles frozen over, while skiing :huh: .

They are, but it didn't really bother me that much. The trails are wide enough that you can go around if you want. I did like the fact that they had ungroomed powder to play in, especially on the headwalls, so that's a real plus for blowing on open trails during the day.

Edited by rme

Really good chance of 95%, they havent even started snowmaking on Easy Street.

Ha, Easy Street...the last time that was open, Ty was still on a leash. Imagine how much effort it takes to blow and groom that goofy little trail...and how much time it takes for the red coats to keep stringing tape at all the entrances and exits when the coverage gets too bad...I bet that trail gets a major change next year.

http://snomtn.com/conditions/trail.htm

It hasn't really been 5 years...but it's still awesome :wiggle

I think it was after the President's day dump in 03' that we went up and got lost in the wood's over there on skier's right.And off of the cliff under the Long Haul.Big fun when there's natural in the wood's over that way!!!

Big fun when there's natural in the wood's over that way!!!

oh no doubt, either last year or the year before i remember hiking over to fastrack after a "dump" when it was still closed and get a full top to bottom run with awesome powder. Yesterday we were hitting the woods on White Lightning, not from a dump, but from all the snow they have been pumping out.

oh no doubt, either last year or the year before i remember hiking over to fastrack after a "dump" when it was still closed and get a full top to bottom run with awesome powder. Yesterday we were hitting the woods on White Lightning, not from a dump, but from all the snow they have been pumping out.

Yea,those tower mounter Wizzard's really pound!I still get nervous around the last 1/4th of WL.Ever since that racer kissed a tree and perished a few year's back.I can't shake that thought out of my head no matter how hard I try when I'm around there. :confused

Edited by YummerzZz