USCSA GS @ JF Day 1

AtomicSkier

I had a GS at JF today. Conditions weren't ideal for racing. Snow was grippy, but too soft, imo. Some holes formed the second run on a reset course, and caused 10+ people to blow out. It was slightly on the chilly side, but not too bad. Since this was my first race w/ Lehigh, I started pretty much last (5 back from last), which kind of sucks. The top guys are freakin GOOD, so they'll tear the course up, and I was like the 65th guy to run, after 50 girls had skied on it. After Run 1, two guys from Lehigh were in the lead. My run was pretty clean. I set up the "headwall" too much. I could've taken a much more direct line, but at least it was clean and safe. Got slightly late, but the course was pretty rythmic and not that much offset, so I recovered. I ended up in 14th place out of 70 my first run, so I was pleased. The only better position to be in then 14th after the first run, is 15th. Since they reverse the top 15, then go 16+, I was the 2nd guy to run, which meant a rut free / hole free course. I took advantage and cut 2 seconds off my time, though that really wasn't good enough to move up to the top 10. I ended up with a 1:16:xx (forget) for two runs. The winner was at 1:11:xx. I went down 1/2 way to gate keep for the rest of the men, so I got to watch t3h carnage at the bottom of the headwall with a gate in a compression with a hole in the turn, which blew so many people out. After all was said and done, I finished 13th overall. Not bad. We'll see how I do tomorrow.

I think it's a SL at MC next week :banghead

I had a GS at JF today. Conditions weren't ideal for racing. Snow was grippy, but too soft, imo. Some holes formed the second run on a reset course, and caused 10+ people to blow out. It was slightly on the chilly side, but not too bad. Since this was my first race w/ Lehigh, I started pretty much last (5 back from last), which kind of sucks. The top guys are freakin GOOD, so they'll tear the course up, and I was like the 65th guy to run, after 50 girls had skied on it. After Run 1, two guys from Lehigh were in the lead. My run was pretty clean. I set up the "headwall" too much. I could've taken a much more direct line, but at least it was clean and safe. Got slightly late, but the course was pretty rythmic and not that much offset, so I recovered. I ended up in 14th place out of 70 my first run, so I was pleased. The only better position to be in then 14th after the first run, is 15th. Since they reverse the top 15, then go 16+, I was the 2nd guy to run, which meant a rut free / hole free course. I took advantage and cut 2 seconds off my time, though that really wasn't good enough to move up to the top 10. I ended up with a 1:16:xx (forget) for two runs. The winner was at 1:11:xx. I went down 1/2 way to gate keep for the rest of the men, so I got to watch t3h carnage at the bottom of the headwall with a gate in a compression with a hole in the turn, which blew so many people out. After all was said and done, I finished 13th overall. Not bad. We'll see how I do tomorrow.

I think it's a SL at MC next week :banghead

Is the trail any better this year for racing, since they put all of those fans on it, or didn't you race it last year??

Is the trail any better this year for racing, since they put all of those fans on it, or didn't you race it last year??

JF has the slowest snow in the world. It's grippy, but too slow. A mountain that flat needs fast snow so you can set an offset course, but you pretty much HAVE to set a tuck course on it.

We just got back from steamboat and the quality of snow is phenonemal at JFBB, I will say with conviction that it is comparible. Believe it!.. deal with the ruts, whiny baby... :wiggle

BTW - it held up suprisingly well for the j4'S 2 weeks ago.

There were no ruts, there were HOLES. J4's dont weigh 180 lbs, and they aren't as good as the top guys college guys.