Camelback 2/11.

ColoradoHigh

Troll?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is Danger a Troll

• Yes
    • No
    • Whats a troll?

Well, I was sick and still wanted to go skiing. I thought I was in for a good fun time at Camelback, I was right, but not that right. For the first few runs, I had a blast, but then the clusterfucks started to appear. At about 10:00 AM, there was SO MUCH ICE and hardpack on every trail. It wasn't pleasant at all. And the fact they closed all Pocono Raceway for a stupid race, really made me mad. I didn't even see it on the website that there was a race.

If you guys think Blue Mountains grooming sucks, then go to Camelback. Its even worse.

Edited by Glenn

It was a bit crunchy this morning, suffering I'm sure from a large saturday crowd, but icy? give me a break Chippy. If you think that's icy you shouldn't be skiing in PA.

I was there from 8-10 today with my 6 year old and we had a great time until the crowds (liftlines rather than trail traffic, why is that?) got too much.

What trails did you try?

Do you have edges?

I can't disagree more with Chippy. I was there there this morning and i felt the snow was in great shape. Note however that i did stay on the Nile side of the mountain so i can not comment on the front four. It is true that it is always disappointing when the raceway is closed because it is such a fun trail. Cliffhanger was in fantastic shape. I must say that when Cliffhanger is in good shape it is my favorite trail in the Poconos.

Hardpack? Ice? Where do I sign up???? :rock

Its more fun than slush.

Gotta agree 100% here. We were at CB on Saturday and we thought the conditions were fantastic. I did spend a lot of time Friday night waxing and sharpening our skis and that made a huge difference.

We felt the hard pack was great at holding edges - no slipping/skidding around. Far better than the soft snow we had earlier in the season.

And as for ice....on Saturday we didn't really see it until after 2pm. And the snow on the edges of the trails was just fine. You just have to expect that things will ice up.

Big Pocono was its usual mix of people that shouldn't be on that trail along with tons of ice.

Marjies and Rocket were fine. Yeah, they get icy but there's enough patches of snow to make your turns. Neither one of them bumped up at all.

Never did get over to Nile Mile. We really like the bumps on Lower Cleo. Its funny to see the ruts get big enough at the end of the day to swallow a kid.

I like slushy spring snow better than hardpack..maybe that's attributed to the time I spent living out west but to me there's nothing quite as fun as flying through piles of soft crud...plus you don't get that irritating scraping sound...it looks like we have a few more weeks until we get some sa-weet spring conditions...for bumps spring snow is also ideal to me unless there's powder.

You shouldn't get that scraping sound no matter what you're on... Try using an edge or 2. :banghead

Gotta agree 100% here. We were at CB on Saturday and we thought the conditions were fantastic. I did spend a lot of time Friday night waxing and sharpening our skis and that made a huge difference.

We felt the hard pack was great at holding edges - no slipping/skidding around. Far better than the soft snow we had earlier in the season.

And as for ice....on Saturday we didn't really see it until after 2pm. And the snow on the edges of the trails was just fine. You just have to expect that things will ice up.

Big Pocono was its usual mix of people that shouldn't be on that trail along with tons of ice.

Marjies and Rocket were fine. Yeah, they get icy but there's enough patches of snow to make your turns. Neither one of them bumped up at all.

Never did get over to Nile Mile. We really like the bumps on Lower Cleo. Its funny to see the ruts get big enough at the end of the day to swallow a kid.

I know this is the Sun thread but here's my take on Sat too. (Where IS the Sat thread?)

I was there Sat from 9 AM til close and it was pretty nice in the AM and as stated it got a little scraped off in the middle of some trails but the sides were very nice. They were doing race training on Asp and it was groomed very hard and pebbly. If you stuck to your edges it was ok, otherwise yowieee! Cliff was looking pretty good and Big Pokeahoe was looking decent but was most noobful. Nile was really nice. Pharoh and Bactrian were pretty good too. Margie's and Rocket were good to the sides. Hardpack in the middle but you could edge through it. Cleo was still in good shape as was Lower Cleo. Still no bump runs set up on more difficult terrain. Gotta take what comes up naturally.

I was planning on going Sunday since Sat day and night were so nice but had a change of plans. Sounds like Sunday was decent but not as good as Sat.

Looking forward to some freshness comming our way on Tues!!! Next weekend is gonna be sweet!! :yes

Edited by Skizilla

I agree, leave poor danger-chippy alone.

it's not as if he doesn't have enough problems getting that baklava out of his hair....

He's entitled to voice his opinion regarding CB's conditions, doesn't matter who agrees with him.

Danger, you should try and get to CB earlier on the weekends, or on a weekday if you really want decent grooming, once the mob gets there it's going to deteriorate pretty fast because the trails are quite narrow and alot of people tend to stick towards the centre.

I like slushy spring snow better than hardpack..maybe that's attributed to the time I spent living out west but to me there's nothing quite as fun as flying through piles of soft crud...plus you don't get that irritating scraping sound...it looks like we have a few more weeks until we get some sa-weet spring conditions...for bumps spring snow is also ideal to me unless there's powder.

I find the slushy stuff tires out the muscles faster. That and it makes my skis feel like lead weights. Yeah, I agree about the scraping sound - it does sound threatening when you hear it coming up behind you.

(que the Jaws movie menacing sound here)

I ski on all-mountain skis that does better on the hard pack.

But you don't get any natural bumps on the hard pack.

Danger, you came into the CB forum and posted a report, which no one else who rode that day agrees with. You included "if you think blue mountain sucks ride CB", then later made excuses why your report wasn't accurate.

The poll is funny to me, and apparently 7 others.

Edited by Glenn

I find the slushy stuff tires out the muscles faster. That and it makes my skis feel like lead weights. Yeah, I agree about the scraping sound - it does sound threatening when you hear it coming up behind you.

(que the Jaws movie menacing sound here)

I ski on all-mountain skis that does better on the hard pack.

But you don't get any natural bumps on the hard pack.

Lead as in slow or snow stuck on top or what? Slush wax will make it just as fast as hardpack and I'd be suprised if you get much snow stuck on top of skis - but on a board wet snow can really pile up if the top isn't smooth (Burton Dominant/Ride Kink that means you!)