Bear Creek Halfpipe

snorovr

As a Freeride coach and a member of a park crew, I hate to criticize parks too much because I know how much work goes into features, how hard they are to build/maintain, and how much it sucks to get negative feedback when you've busted your ass trying to make something good.

That being said, Bear Creeks pipe should not have been the site of a competition tonight, let alone open for riding. I think its a total bummer that Bear does such a great job getting sponsors, publicizing their competitions, creating a great vibe, and then holds them on terrain like we saw tonight. It has been cold long enough now to have a great pipe, and to cut it on the day of the comp and then let the public ride it all day just doesn't seem to bode well for keeping comp entrants stoked and people coming back. I want to see Bear do well because I've loved riding there in the past, which is why I'm so bummed tonight and felt like I had to say somethin'.

Anyone else?

i dont like to hate a lot, and like trevor said...bear's been a lot of fun most of the time, but tonight was the worst comp of the year so far for sure. the pipe was horrible. bad snow, inconsistant height and shape of either wall.again i agree with trevor, they should have not had a comp on that thing.

this is what ive been saying bear creek has had many many nights of very cold weather to take care of this, the pipe really is not that important of a feature in a terrain park i guess. it sucked though because the people who were in the comp hardly even got a chance to practice their shit. im very dissapointed with what went on tonight. and it would be nice for some kind of explanation on it.

Pipes are one of the most time consuming features to create. Not only do you have to make a lot of snow, for a good pipe the snow has to sit and drain and compact for a few days and kneaded over with a snowcat like bread the whole time. Rushing that part is what gives you the pipes with the air pockets and crackiness - which melt faster and don't hold their shape well. Then cutting it is a whole different issue. Getting a pipe straight and even is a lot harder than setting up a jib because if you screw up you have to basically start over, which usually isn't an option. Not sure what happened with Bear Creek's pipe but thats one of those things that needs to be dealt with on an annual basis, once the pipe is made it is very hard to fix without pushing out the snow and starting over.

i would rather have a crappy pipe than no pipe

look at mountain creek, they have had the best pipe in the east for a long time and then this season killed it

they arent even going to try to build a pipe, and they hold the grand prix's that a big contest to turn away

so it could be worse you couldnt have a pipe all season

B)-->

QUOTE(Matt B @ Feb 19 2007, 01:12 PM) 136618[/snapback]
i would rather have a crappy pipe than no pipe

look at mountain creek, they have had the best pipe in the east for a long time and then this season killed it

they arent even going to try to build a pipe, and they hold the grand prix's that a big contest to turn away

so it could be worse you couldnt have a pipe all season

there is no reason creek couldnt have had a pipe

there is no reason creek couldnt have had a pipe

Werd. The things that I have heard about Mountain Creek from passholders about the mountain's commitment to opening terrain and other things have been entirely negative. Certainly a far cry from Bear Creek, which regularly gets props from locals and visitors, and although they have had a bit of a rough string with PASR's lately, they certainly know their stuff and will get things back on track if they haven't already.