Peak Resorsts (what should we expect)

motionus

Now that american ski company has finally sold Mount Snow, what should we expect from peak resorts. ASC has basically ignored Mount Snow in Vermont. We have seen very little in the way of improvements. The lifts are old and the snowmaking sucks. Mount Snow is close to getting finaly approval for access to Somerset Resorvoir which would give them unlimited water to make snow. Will Peak Resorts spend the money to build the pipleline and add additional snowmaking? How does Peak Resorts keep their other mountains, do they put money into their properties. It seems like they did a good job with crotched in New Hamphire. Looks like Mount Snow will be their flagship resort.

Now that american ski company has finally sold Mount Snow, what should we expect from peak resorts. ASC has basically ignored Mount Snow in Vermont. We have seen very little in the way of improvements. The lifts are old and the snowmaking sucks. Mount Snow is close to getting finaly approval for access to Somerset Resorvoir which would give them unlimited water to make snow. Will Peak Resorts spend the money to build the pipleline and add additional snowmaking? How does Peak Resorts keep their other mountains, do they put money into their properties. It seems like they did a good job with crotched in New Hamphire. Looks like Mount Snow will be their flagship resort.

I can only hope ASC gets rid of killy, if it hasnt happened all ready. ASC blows

Killingtonzone has lots of rumors as well that K-mart is being sold but no rumors to who. I highly doubt that Peak would be able to afford Mount Snow, Attitash, AND Kton. I don't know what Powdr would do with KMart (all though they turned Boreal into an all park mountain recently, not that they would do it at K-Mart but I would expect improved parks) If you look at Peak's holdings JFBB is their largest resort (perhaps Crotched is bigger but I bet less expensive) although I am unclear about the ownership situation at JFBB - does Peak own it in full or just run the business? Based on the money Peak dumped into JFBB I would expect them to dump a bunch into Mount Snow. Also based on Peak's previous mountains - which are all in marginal temperature places (midwest and midatlantic) their focus is always on snowmaking. If the pipeline is allowed, I would think Peak would spend the money to do it where as ASC didn't have the money to do it. The biggest questions I have are

1) The lifts - I'm not sure what Peak's style is on lifts, they didn't replace any at JFBB but Mount Snow has some horrendous lift lines on the 3 main face lifts, we're talking Mountain Creek length on the weekends. I would love to see them replace the fixed grip quad with a 8 passenger gondola for the cold days. Considering they don't run the fixed grip when they put the other one on wind hold most of the time anyway, the uphill capacity would be worth it and on a cold day a gondola would be nice.

2) What are they going to do with snowmaking? Almost all of Peak's other mountains have a bunch of SMI fan guns because of their efficiency in lower temperature - but they are fixed guns. Mount Snow is a lot larger, and has a totally air/water tripod gun system as far as I can tell. I have seen few if any fan guns other than on the bunny slope and tubing park. I wonder what Peak's past relationship with SMI will end up doing to Mount Snow. Will there be fan guns lining Canyon next year? Will they open the "name this park" earlier with a bunch of fan guns on it to make a massive amount of snow? Will they pump out the snow for the superpipe in a timely manner?

I think you will see snowmaking upgrades first and lift upgrades 2nd. I also think they will get some more money in the parks although the park scene is solid and entrenched (I don't think their jibs are as nice as BC IW or the Jiblab/ParkLogic ones but they've been made by the same guy for years so thats not changing, and he makes a killer pipe)

I'm very intrigued to see what will happen

If JFBB is any indication - you can bet that good things are in the making, especially the snow making if that has been a problem. If Mt Snow takes jesse from BB I will be pissed though.

Wow...I am not even going to start on this topic.....

Blue ridge retains ownership of JFBB. It is my understanding that peak has JFBB on a lease.

thats correct Jordan

Edited by syd harvey

I'll take a educated guess at what will happen to JFBB.For the umpteenth time,JFBB is currently leased for 25 years by Peak Resorts,with a stipulation to invest 5 million dollars by 5 years into it,which has already been completed.Now,at the fifth year of the lease,there is a escape clause built into it if certain requirements are met.I would say with the purchase of Mt. Snow and Attitash by Peak,Peak will escape the JFBB lease at the end of the fifth year,so that would mean 3 more full seasons after this current one of Peak operating JFBB.Upon initial observation,JFBB is very similar in layout/amenities to Mt. Snow and Attitash,but on a smaller scale.Therefore,I would assume Peak is using JFBB as a sort of training ground/dry run(my military mind at work here) to get the JFBB management team trained and up to speed to run Mt. Snow/Attitash by the time the fifth year of the JFBB lease is up.Afterwards,JFBB would revert back to Blue Ridge management.Keep in mind most of the Peak management team at JFBB is very young and inexperienced,and some are also family members of the owners of Peak.So this would all seem to make tons of sense,well to me anyway.It most definitely fits their philosophy of cross-training and assimilation of knowledge.This would also explain why they don't seem to care much about the circumstances of things at JFBB.In summary,I wouldn't expect nothing too grand at JFBB in the next three seasons and most of the capital dollars spent on upgrading Mt. Snow/Attitash,phewwwwwww!!!

I'll take a educated guess at what will happen to JFBB.For the umpteenth time,JFBB is currently leased for 25 years by Peak Resorts,with a stipulation to invest 5 million dollars by 5 years into it,which has already been completed.Now,at the fifth year of the lease,there is a escape clause built into it if certain requirements are met.I would say with the purchase of Mt. Snow and Attitash by Peak,Peak will escape the JFBB lease at the end of the fifth year,so that would mean 3 more full seasons after this current one of Peak operating JFBB.Upon initial observation,JFBB is very similar in layout/amenities to Mt. Snow and Attitash,but on a smaller scale.Therefore,I would assume Peak is using JFBB as a sort of training ground/dry run(my military mind at work here) to get the JFBB management team trained and up to speed to run Mt. Snow/Attitash by the time the fifth year of the JFBB lease is up.Afterwards,JFBB would revert back to Blue Ridge management.Keep in mind most of the Peak management team at JFBB is very young and inexperienced,and some are also family members of the owners of Peak.So this would all seem to make tons of sense,well to me anyway.It most definitely fits their philosophy of cross-training and assimilation of knowledge.This would also explain why they don't seem to care much about the circumstances of things at JFBB.In summary,I wouldn't expect nothing too grand at JFBB in the next three seasons and most of the capital dollars spent on upgrading Mt. Snow/Attitash,phewwwwwww!!!

Thats all probably very true. There aren't many worthwhile investments left at JFBB anyway - the snowmaking was #1, lifts aren't all that important because there aren't really lift lines, the decentralized layout means that one lift upgrade won't make a damn difference at all so that probably won't happen.

I doubt they will take any park staff from JFBB up to Mount Snow (maybe they should bring PL back for up there? ha just kidding on that one) because Mount Snow has a good park staff. I think these are all long term decisions though, I don't know if anything will happen up there for next season.

Afterwards,JFBB would revert back to Blue Ridge management.This would also explain why they don't seem to care much about the circumstances of things at JFBB.

Why would Blue Ridge want JFBB back? If they wanted to operate JFBB they would not have entered a 28 year lease, but a 5 year instead.

This would also explain why they don't seem to care much about the circumstances of things at JFBB.

What circumstances are you referring to? I think the snowmaking upgrade was HUGE! If Blue Ridge was running the place, they would not have opened till mid January. The Big Boulder Park idea seems to be drawing in the customers too.

Why would Blue Ridge want JFBB back? If they wanted to operate JFBB they would not have entered a 28 year lease, but a 5 year instead.

one thing is for sure, Blue Ridge doesent want JFBB back, they don't want to be bothered running ski areas. The only reason they didnt flat out sell it is because they want to make sure the ski areas stay open to increase property values, because their real business is selling real estate. That said, Peak might opt out of the deal after 5 years now that they own a real deal ski area (mount snow)

,I wouldn't expect nothing too grand at JFBB in the next three seasons and most of the capital dollars spent on upgrading Mt. Snow/Attitash,phewwwwwww!!!

I do not think other then some of the Dee Dee Dee's that have pipe dreams, no one really does expect anything grand from JFBB....I believe though Sno Mtn. got a few tricks up their sleeves to just show how dominate they are in the ski industry at least round here in the Poconos...Guess only time will tell

one thing is for sure, Blue Ridge doesent want JFBB back, they don't want to be bothered running ski areas. The only reason they didnt flat out sell it is because they want to make sure the ski areas stay open to increase property values, because their real business is selling real estate. That said, Peak might opt out of the deal after 5 years now that they own a real deal ski area (mount snow)

The only flaw in that logic is that for Peak - JFBB is their 2nd biggest mountain until the Mount Snow/Attitash buy AFAIK, and they didn't sell the smaller ones when they moved on. I think it is a horizontal expansion rather than a "climbing the ladder' type of buying up of mountains. Especially after just having invested the money, the return on investment for that kind of snowmaking system is not 3 years, it is going to be longer. I also don't see why they would want to back out of the JFBB deal after 5 if they were making money, sure they can be training managers here and putting them at Snow, but there are more people in the world to be hired to fill positions here, its not like Peak has 100 guys and only 100 guys and will never have more. Investors love to see growth (until like the ASC and Ford debt and entitlement obligations overwhelm everything and debt management becomes the primary focus), so buying one mountain and selling another profitable one - that won't generate a sale price if they are only leasing it - doesn't make any sense.

JF BB is a unique set up - don't expect that it will go any where in Peaks portfolio - with current trends being an indication.. BB PARK will be come exactly that and JF will have its niche under the same lift ticket. They had a banner year, no reason to sell it especially if it is generating revenue for the parent company.

Attention good citizens of Mt. Snow and Attitash.Do not be afraid.Resistance is futile :bow .You have been assimilated :sex into the Peak Resorts Collective :welcome: .Our cybernetic implants and nanoprobes are very good for you,it is fun to be a Peak Oompa-Loompa,you will live forever in happiness from here on in and feel better than you ever have before.Although we have encountered fierce fighting from the Federation in the JFBB sector and are forced to temporarally retreat in three years,we will return stronger after this new acquisition to force the Federation forces into defeat.Thank you and have a nice day,this is all :) .

Attention good citizens of Mt. Snow and Attitash.Do not be afraid.Resistance is futile :bow .You have been assimilated :sex into the Peak Resorts Collective :welcome: .Our cybernetic implants and nanoprobes are very good for you,it is fun to be a Peak Oompa-Loompa,you will live forever in happiness from here on in and feel better than you ever have before.Although we have encountered fierce fighting from the Federation in the JFBB sector and are forced to temporarally retreat in three years,we will return stronger after this new acquisition to force the Federation forces into defeat.Thank you and have a nice day,this is all :) .

WOW! Obviuosly you dislike Peak Resorts, but this thread has just gotten ridiculous and time to be deleted!

My god Capitan, Main power is offline, Aux engines are at 24%, the lines are squeaking, casualties coming in from all lifts..The commander at F-lift says he needs back up support NOW.....call in the shuttlecraft ski patrol, have them lay down ski pole cover fire....We're not giving up this mountain with out a fight, we got to at least hold them in the neutral mountains zone....

320x240.jpg

naaaaa - it's a good thread. for more fun, go to SAM

That is interesting..........

I know I like the changes at JFBB. Not paying for lift tickets is not cool! If I pay for mine, so should everyone else. As far as the "altercation", there is one thing I know for sure. There are 3 sides to every story:

1. Managements

2. The kids

3. The truth