JFBB's freestyle program

Barb

I emailed a few people asking about the program and got no response. I called the other day and the lady did not really have good info. They only advertise for the racing team on their website. Anyone taken advantage of this program or know anything about it?

Shawn ran the FS progam out of JF last year, he jumped ship and is now at the CMS (camelback) a couple of core members followed him there, however I doubt they will return next year. Just my guess..

I would hope that the next step in the progression of Boulder is a bonafide program, there just seems to be a huge lack of marketing info. Contact Paul at ski school and tell him of your interest, let me know how you make out.

not to be disrespectful to the FS team instructors, because some of them are friends of mine, but they are all just kids running the program with no real FS training or even PSIA certifications. The crazy thing is, when PEAK took over, they stopped offering incentives for instructors to become certified. That is all fine and dandy for the snow monsters program, but if they want to have a decent reputation on freestyle training, they are going to need to shell out some more money for some real instructors. Pretty much any random kid that has been skiing park for a year or two could teach your kid the same things he or she will learn in the freestyle program.

Jordan

not to be disrespectful to the FS team instructors, because some of them are friends of mine, but they are all just kids running the program with no real FS training or even PSIA certifications. The crazy thing is, when PEAK took over, they stopped offering incentives for instructors to become certified. That is all fine and dandy for the snow monsters program, but if they want to have a decent reputation on freestyle training, they are going to need to shell out some more money for some real instructors. Pretty much any random kid that has been skiing park for a year or two could teach your kid the same things he or she will learn in the freestyle program.

Jordan

good points worth a bump

Jordan

So what? There are plenty of PSIA "ceritied" instructors that can't teach, or don't care to. There are some that are great. Likewise I'm sure there are uncertified instructors (and even friends :o) who can can help you improve a bunch.

It's freestyle not open heart surgeory. Do the instructors teach kids how to ride cool features and help them progress? Won't the progression not the certifications determine the quality of the program?

by your reasoning, elementary ed teachers should not have to be certified either right? I mean, teaching times tables isnt open heart surgery or anything.

I never said you cant learn anything from people who lack training in how to teach, but I know for a fact that I would not be the skier I am today if it wasnt for PSIA certified instructors. It is like night and day. I can observe a lesson for 5 minutes and know without a doubt if the instructor has had any training. Kid instructors with no training are totally fine for getting you started, but if you want to get good, you need to have someone teaching you that knows what they are doing.

Jordan

Edited by jordan

by your reasoning, elementary ed teachers should not have to be certified either right? I mean, teaching times tables isnt open heart surgery or anything.

Jordan

And you yourself said it was fine to not have certified members in the snow monsters program. A teacher who sees a classroom of students 5 days a week to track development for 25 students. They right lesson plans for multiple subjects and are involved with the mental, emotional, disciplanry and social development of a child. A ski/board instructor teaches someone who to ski/board better for what a few hours every week. They aren't on the same plane. I think just about anyone can help a kid with their multiplication tables if they understand them by themselves. It doesn't require a degree or certification to tutor at any level.

And I'll say I wouldn't be the snowboarder I am today if it wasn't for the countless times I just rode with someone who was better than me, could field questions and point out cool features. I've had certified lessons as well. Some were good, some weren't worth my time. So in my experience, certifications mean little in terms of what leaves a lasting mark.

I stick by what I said before, teaching kids how to have fun on features and having a progressive program are way more important than certifications.

Edited by Glenn