Congrats to the 'Dude!!

Ski

The 'Dude raced a slalom today at Killington against the best skiers in the East and some of the best in the US.

Pennsylvania racers head north in the early season to lower their "points", which is like a golfers handicap. The better the competition, the lower you can get your points. His scoring today was the equivalent of a top 20 finish at a PA race, so he earned himself a better start bib when his PA races start.

Congrats little dude! You make us all proud. We'll be sponsoring you soon, you can wear all PASR stuff. but I will mention that he came in 89 out of 96, which just shows how GOOD the compeition is, considering that 89/96, is equivilent to a 16th place at the race Greg, I and Ski999 watched skidude ski in.

Just a pic to remind Greg about that day when he messed his arm up, we got pulled over for speeding in paradise, and I mowed a girl over. Skidude did decent in the race.

adam2s.jpg

Where you place doesn't matter, especially racing out of state. It's how close your time is to the fastest racer. Like NASTAR in a way, since in NASTAR nobody really knows what placed they finished, only what their handicap was.

In Vermont races, you may have 40 guys within a second of each other on a 50 second course. The better the competition, the more clumped together at the top they are.

USSA racers are racing against every other kid in their age group in the US. 'Dude started this season the 3021st ranked slalom racer in the US among 15 to 19-year-olds. There are 6000 or so in his grouping. He probably moved up 150 spots with today's finish.

The advantage to being a PA racer is that the top 2 or 3 earn invitations to the Junior Olympics. Although they are heavy underdogs when they get there, it's still an opportunity to have the race of your life and get looked at by the US Ski Team.

Where you place doesn't matter, especially racing out of state. It's how close your time is to the fastest racer. Like NASTAR in a way, since in NASTAR nobody really knows what placed they finished, only what their handicap was.

In Vermont races, you may have 40 guys within a second of each other on a 50 second course. The better the competition, the more clumped together at the top they are.

USSA racers are racing against every other kid in their age group in the US. 'Dude started this season the 3021st ranked slalom racer in the US among 15 to 19-year-olds. There are 6000 or so in his grouping. He probably moved up 150 spots with today's finish.

The advantage to being a PA racer is that the top 2 or 3 earn invitations to the Junior Olympics. Although they are heavy underdogs when they get there, it's still an opportunity to have the race of your life and get looked at by the US Ski Team.

Ski, just to bring you up to speed, once he hits J2, JO's will be even less likely. There is now only the National JO's, no regional JO's once you hit J2 and above. The reason I am told is that the best racers at that age are doing FIS races at that time and were skipping regional championships. The result was the best racers weren't at the JO's anymore. So, now there are just the National JO's this year. That is the word from our coach out here anyway.

Sorry, Sib, I meant to say "Finals" (March 11-17, at Okemo), but thanks for bringing me up to speed. JO's used to be just national, but they created regionals since so many racers couldn't travel out west. I believe they've left J3 JO's alone as regional.

Yes the Asra I won in my age group...I also came last in my age group....And well in all the middle spots....(I was the only kid under 21 racing if you didn't pick up on that yet).

As for the "real" race... Ehhh I felt a lot better than in all the other SLs I skied...But still am not smooth enough. Hmmm it was going to be a GS race, then it got switched to a SL. Anyway that course was mad fast.....It was straight, then they put most of the technical gates in, then it got straight again.... It felt to be the speed of a GS race ;)

Anyway the points looked like they went down about 50 points, which is better than nothing I suppose.

Well its only 10 days til Swain...Lower them a little more there hopefully.

And Ski999....I heard rumors that the whiteface race got cancelled...Is that true?

Yep:

Jr I-II Whiteface Races Rescheduled Due to weather conditions the WF events have been rescheduled as follows - Wed Dec 15th - SL and Thurs Dec 16th - GS. Please let NYSEF know if you would like to stay in the race or would like to be pulled. NYSEF will be making refunds for the Alumni Opener that was supposed to be held on 12/11/04, 12/12/04, 12/13/04, and 12/14/04.

• 9 months later...
Sorry, Sib, I meant to say "Finals" (March 11-17, at Okemo), but thanks for bringing me up to speed. JO's used to be just national, but they created regionals since so many racers couldn't travel out west. I believe they've left J3 JO's alone as regional.

12416[/snapback]

I have so much to learn...

Read the comp guide cover to cover, attend meetings, ask questions. Sit down and try to suss out what the HECK they are doing with race points, and penalty points and those other things, World Cup points. Explain it all to your kids. Then, look ahead and help to map out how they can achieve their dreams. This involves not only talking to your coaches, but college coaches, regional coaches, etc. See if you can find out where PARA meetings are and go to them. Sure you may keep your mouth shut in embarassment at not knowing what they are talking about, but after a few meetings it kicks in.

Thanks for the advice Sib. I think I'll hover in the background for now. I live 2 1/2 hours form the nearest PARA meeting. On top of that, I am content to find out how Ridge does this year on his own, in the USSA system. My plan is that in the event he contnues to excel the way he did last year, is to "turn" him over to the professionals, ie schools next..