Neck injuries from helmets???????

Glenn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she fell, the story is sorta strange but what i'm telling you is what was told to the rental shop when they got the helmet back.

Somehow 5 students got on the chair lift(nothing against the lifties) and when they were over the second turn of pharoh(the second one that you go over on the lift, right by race way) the chair shifted, and as soon as they were right next to the rocks she droped, i was there the night after it had happened and i saw the helmet(the rental shop holds them and gives it to the manufacture or something like that) and it was totaly saturated in blood. i believe she suffered two broken legs fractured skull, and broken wrist i think...not to positive on the injuries.

she fell, the story is sorta strange but what i'm telling you is what was told to the rental shop when they got the helmet back.

Somehow 5 students got on the chair lift(nothing against the lifties) and when they were over the second turn of pharoh(the second one that you go over on the lift, right by race way) the chair shifted, and as soon as they were right next to the rocks she droped, i was there the night after it had happened and i saw the helmet(the rental shop holds them and gives it to the manufacture or something like that) and it was totaly saturated in blood. i believe she suffered two broken legs fractured skull, and broken wrist i think...not to positive on the injuries.

Yeah you're not putting anything on the lifties, but I bet they got a pretty servere punishment and or fired. CB might have even seen a lawsuit.

They probably did for that one...Hence the reason that now they tell you things like wear a helmet, BUT your neck....

When I was up at Kmart this weekend...like 5 people (that I heard) fell off different lifts at different times....how bad can people be at getting on and off?

They did it at S'Bush too.  I think it's the law in Vermont...

:banghead:banghead

Man, that means its not long till it makes its way everywhere. When I was in NY a lifty riding on the other way back down the mountain yelled at me, but I figured it was just cos we were on the bunny slope (we kinda got lost, I wasn't really riding the bunny for fun... well maybe a little :P )

I think it's the law in most places.  And plus it's just stupid not to put it down.  Skidude and Racerchick can tell you, when you ride with me, THE BAR GOES DOWN!

The bar is annoying, the little rests get in the way of my board, its never saved me, and I really don't think about it unless someone else brings it down.

More importantly, I can't count the number of times someone has hit or almost hit me in the head with the bar because the didn't check to see my head wasnt in the way, or at least give me heads up it was coming down. My roomate has been hit three times as mean times cos he always dusts off his board when we get on the lift.

well I always let people know its comming down, but at camelback especially, I was on the Stevenson, just got on, and it went flying out over that canyon thing, and then it JERKED to a stop. I always flew out of my seat. It's nice to rest your skis on, and plus you drive w/ your seatbelt on, why not ride w/ the bar down? :D

I always ride with the bar down. The one time I was at blue on the quad and the guy next to me wanted to raise the bar the third tower from the landing and 2 ski patrollers were on with us and the woman slammed the bar down and said how the week before someone fell off onto the rocks about the same place. She then added that they were unsure if she would be ok (she was also medivaced out of there)

Another time it was just me and this old guy and he REFUSED to put down the bar so when he wasn't looking I slammed it down and pushed it down with my feet so he couldn't get it back up.

I think it's the law in most places.  And plus it's just stupid not to put it down.  Skidude and Racerchick can tell you, when you ride with me, THE BAR GOES DOWN!

Hmm it has been the law in VT for a while, but ehh no cops around :P

I don't care if it goes down, just with me (or other people who don't care) I am just too lazy to put it down.

More importantly, I can't count the number of times someone has hit or almost hit me in the head with the bar because the didn't check to see my head wasnt in the way, or at least give me heads up it was coming down.

That happens A LOT around here. It gets mad annoying, and that is the closest I have come to falling off a lift.

Just say 'coming down' or something like that...Its not that hard :nono

lol, i don't mind putting it down, but i have like bar ophoiba(sp) and it goes up with like 2 lift towers to go, and if you really wait till the last minute i start flippin

:rofl

Out here I have to ask if it's alright if I put the bar down. Very few people do it, although I've had a few who said THANKS.

When you're on a chair that rises 2100 feet, then that's a lot of time for your legs to be dangling and it's tiring.

I hate places that have the bar but no foot rest!!!

well I always let people know its comming down, but at camelback especially, I was on the Stevenson, just got on, and it went flying out over that canyon thing, and then it JERKED to a stop.  I always flew out of my seat.  It's nice to rest your skis on, and plus you drive w/ your seatbelt on, why not ride w/ the bar down?  :D

I generally dont get in accidents with other chairs... or anything else for that matter when riding the chairlifts... if I did, I might consider it.

Rarely, the lift goes haywire and falls backwards. It's disaster for anyone without the bar down. I always put it down if it's windy or I'm riding with idiots. And usually put it down anyway. Once in awhile I forego it, figuring that a runaway chair isn't likely.

Rarely, the lift goes haywire and falls backwards.  It's disaster for anyone without the bar down.  I always put it down if it's windy or I'm riding with idiots. And usually put it down anyway.  Once in awhile I forego it, figuring that a runaway chair isn't likely.

I always thought about that... espeacially with the detached lift setup... it seems like is a definate possibility.... although I'd never heard of an actual case.

After some research...

http://www.algor.com/news_pub/cust_app/skilift/skilift.asp

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...55E1702,00.html

Note: the second article says 75 were stuck in their seats... prolly with the bar down :D

I have looked up at what is attached, and I don't think the chairs woudl slide even if they didn't fully attact to the cable again, atleast not slide fast. Also in that case, I would be worried about the chair downhill (that gets run into) more than being on the chair that slides.

I have never heard of a case where a chair would come off the cable 1/2 way up HOWEVER, up at killington last year I was getting on a gondola leaving the station when another one came in and never slowed down, it slammed into the one infrount of that, and there was a nice little chain reaction...good for about 20 minute inspection. And its not even like there was ice on the cable or anything, it was nice weather.