did you ever notice....?

Justin

did you guys ever notice that when any pa resort builds a starting jump to a rail, they always make the jump level with the rail, so you can just ride on smoothly? why dont they actually build a JUMP to a rail so you actually have to ollie on the rail, it makes it that if you can do one rail, you can basically do every rail.

Edited by justin

one word... liability

if thats true then thats stupid, i mean why should they make their stuff easier for liability. if something is out of someone's ability level, then they shouldn't do it. if they do and kill themselves, then its their fault, they signed a waiver AND seen the sign posted before the terrain park. i mean having every rail that requires no ollieing what so ever is stupid. i especially hate those stuck up kids who say "i can do waist high flat rails" when they didn't even jump onto it.

Just because you sign a waiver doens't mean that you can't sue. You cannot give up your rights by signing a piece of paper. It makes it harder for you to win in a law suit if they have the waiver you signed, but it still costs whatever mountain everytime they have to go to court. Additinally, and I maybe wrong on this part, but, it seems to me, you could win a case if there was something on the mountain of exceeding danger or risk. IE if there is a bomb under a trail that a mountain knows about it, and someone gets blown up by it, you better believe that they family of the blown up person will win the case. It certainly would not fall under "certain risks involved in the sport." So really, the mountains need to find the line of "certain risks" and stay behind it. And to be on the safe side of things, many mountains will stay WELL behind it. Espeacially on the east coast, with mediocre riders, less trail level before expert, and the lawsuit happy community that is so prevelant on the east coast.

Although, this does not mean I'm not as mad about it as everyone else, just trying to help you understand the mountains pov. In my opinion gap to rails are easier, thy are more indimidating maybe, but I feel like I have a lot more control when I can launch and position myself over a rail, rather than slide on, and slide around on it. Just MHO.

Edited by dthmtluncrn

Unfortunately, no government can pass laws that give people common sense. Though Vermont has done an incredible job protecting their ski resorts. They passed some very definitive legislation that dictates when and when not people can sue. The only times people can sue is if the mountain had obvious negligence like dthmtluncrn said. For example, if they don't service their lifts and a chair falls off or if one of their snowcat drivers runs someone over. So far it's worked great and prevented unecesary lawsuits while letting meritable cases go to court.

Unfortunately, no government can pass laws that give people common sense.  Though Vermont has done an incredible job protecting their ski resorts.  They passed some very definitive legislation that dictates when and when not people can sue.  The only times people can sue is if the mountain had obvious negligence like dthmtluncrn said.  For example, if they don't service their lifts and a chair falls off or if one of their snowcat drivers runs someone over.  So far it's worked great and prevented unecesary lawsuits while letting meritable cases go to court.

Maybe they through the case out, but my understanding is you can ALWAYS make a civil law suit. Criminal is different, but from what I have learned anyone can make a civil law suit against anyone for any reason. It's just a matter of whether a judge will hear the case, whether they will win etc. The point is, even the preliminary stuff like setting a trial date (or seeing if there will be a trail), still takes some time and energy, which equals money, for the mountain.

I doubt that will be the judges first question unless he skis/rides. Even if he does ski/ride I still wouldn't count on the question, and who would say it wasn't within their skill range?

That whole skill range thing is b.s. anyways. If you never went above your skill range you wouldn't progress.... of if you did, it wouldn't be very fast. Additinally, how are you to know ahead of time, how far something is out of your skill range until you give it a try. I remember the first time I took a black. I had the blue courses down pretty well, so I figured I would give the black a whirl, but ended up sliding on my backside for a large portion of the trail. It was certainly well out of my range, but how was I to know. The more time you spend in the sport, the better you are aware of the dangers, possilibities etc. We get mad at the ignorant people who end up on the wrong trails etc, but really, how can you get mad when they don't know any better? Most of us were there at one point too (whether or not you want to remember :nana)

Edited by dthmtluncrn

• 2 weeks later...

Was up at Bear Creek yesterday and they have quite a few gaps to rails. Including a gap to flat down box that was fun and a few of there straight rails had gaps onto them. I got wrecked on a gap to a picnic table, I landed to far forward on my board and crashed pretty hard and got yellow paint all over my pants. My helmet probably saved me from a concussion, oh well conditions were awesome yesterday up there and it was quite fun. I'll be up there tomorrow, the picnic table won the battle but it will not win the war.

COC is full of little rich kids, and a lot of stuck up kids. I went this past summer and the jumps were pretty shitty,  nice rails though.

Thanks for the very helpful comments. I'm sure your positive contribution will be considered by all. :) #1, it's summer, and it's expensive, of course there will be more fortunate kids there. That was a very nice first post

btw, Welcome! :D