PA'S Best Pipe

Ski4Food

I'm not big on the park, but I love skiing Halfpipe!

I'm looking to make it to PA a few times this winter and want to maximize my trips.

What mountains have the best pipes?

Also it'd be great if they have a good pipe, steeps, and trees!

Let me know!

Thanks ahead of time guys!

If there is one thing that Josh from Snowgrind can do, it is cut a pipe. Blue's pipe was a hidden gem for a solid 3-4 weeks last year. However, werd on the streets was that Seven Springs pipe was dope last year. Not only that, but they had 2. One with perfect 18' walls and the other setup as an intro type pipe. For now it sounds like seven springs is the place to be for a pipe in PA. I'm tryin to get out there at least once this year cuz the girl is in Pittsburgh.

Man that Seven Springs Pipe does look nice. I'd don't know if I'd go as far to say best in the east, but it's proabably the best non Vermont Pipe I've seen in a long time. Okemo, Mount Snow and Stratton all have excellent pipes and it would be a toss up between those three as the best in the east. But I'm looking forward to getting down to Seven Springs and taking a few laps in your U-Ditch!

I am sorry!! I forgot about 7S... I wish they were closer. Yeah by far they have the best pipe in the entire region to the best of my knowledge. I am trying to remember who in NY for that matter has a decent pipe. I am not sure we can inlcude MC cause well, is it ever been open the last 2 years?

Sno Mountain is supposed to have pipes this year, but I know nothing about the grading or cutters or who is running them.

Sno Mountain is supposed to have pipes this year, but I know nothing about the grading or cutters or who is running them.

http://www.planetsnowdesign.com/

Sno might be in the running with their pipe(s) in a couple of years, but i'm guessing this year it will just be a quickly thrown together 13 footer just like last year, didn't appear to be anything special to me. We'll see if that 22 footer develops..

Straight from the Planet website:

So Which Mountains have the New 22

The 3 super pipes in the mid atlantic are

7 Springs

Mountain Creak

Sno

7 Springs is awesome every year, but far from here.

Mountain Creek's was perfection 2 years ago, but not open last year. Who knows what the fate of it is (as well as the Grand Prix) and it always opens after the GP which is late in the season so, not 2nd best.

Sno - never had a superpipe before, so who knows, but with a 22 foot Zaugg it has the potential to be down right nasty. We will see. Worth hitting once it is open. That is going to take a hell of a lot of snow though, I hope they have some dirt underneith - it takes Mountain creek 3 weeks of blowing with pole mounted fan guns to make enough snow + tripod guns, a week for it to settle and get kneaded, and a week to groom/cut it. Hopefully with their elevation Sno will have better conditions to make snow for it.

Blue, Camelback, and Hunter have decent pipes but they are medium sized. I would say I wouldn't want anything smaller than those 3 but they are usually half decent. There where times where all 3 where crappy and all 3 where good.

Shawnee's pipe is a joke, does JFBB even have one? Word is this year Mountain Creek is going to try and open two, a small one and the superpipe, but with the superpipe now disconnected from the terrain park, the only thing making them open it will be the Grand Prix, and you will be hiking it on foot all day since the lift line is nuts, and now there is no park above to make it worth it. But damn is it gorgeous.

It will probably be worth the trip mid season, throw some money their way the management has been doing a good job. I bet the high speed lift issue will change soon, this is only their second season - the first was battling some guy in court until like a week before and they still have managed to cut new trails, build a new snowmaking system, and overhaul the park in about 14 months.

Man that Seven Springs Pipe does look nice. I'd don't know if I'd go as far to say best in the east, but it's proabably the best non Vermont Pipe I've seen in a long time. Okemo, Mount Snow and Stratton all have excellent pipes and it would be a toss up between those three as the best in the east. But I'm looking forward to getting down to Seven Springs and taking a few laps in your U-Ditch!

no vt area had a better pipe than we did last year and that is a straight up fact. the only way you could argue that is if you had the opp to ride the US open pipe at stratton DURING the us open. it was crap afterwards and it was non existant before the event.

im not saying that we have always had the best pipe in the east, but last year we did.

this year should be amazing as long as we get the weather and I hope that some of you can come out to check it out for yourselves.

Yeah I didn't have a chance to ski the Stratton pipe last year, but it sounds like I wasn't missing anything. I had the oppurtunity to ski Aspen's pipe right after the X-games last year and man oh man was that perfect!

Steamboat has a pipe that has more Vert than most NY and PA resorts so that's a good time, and it consistantly has 20 foot walls with a sweet quarter pipe at the bottom.

I would concur with the president of Zaugg though. Park City and Heavenly do both contend for the best pipe in North America.

I skied Hunter a few times last year and whenever I was there the pipe was awful, but I do set the bar pretty high.

Bristol in NY has the best pipe in my area. Greek would have an awesome pipe if they'd just put it on the run that I want. When they do things right it can be great... it just hasn't been open for 2 years.

Someone around here should build a jump like they did in Aspen for the TGR Anomally shoot, that thing was sick and looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I'll be sure to make my way to Seven Springs this year. How's the rest of the mountain, a good variety or terrain? It's a long way to drive for a pipe, but I know it'll be worth it.

What trail is Sno putting the Superpipe on?

From what i understand..snowtubing is staying where it was last year..a pipe is going next to it though so that it can be accessed by the magic carpet. Snowtubing and the halfpipe sharing the same magic carpet is brilliant too by the way. Then since the racing seems to be moving towards smoke, i would assume that would mean a pipe would be going onto switch. There was never a pipe on switch.. I don't even think they know what the plans are at this point, so i'd take everything with a grain of salt.

From what i understand..snowtubing is staying where it was last year..a pipe is going next to it though so that it can be accessed by the magic carpet. Snowtubing and the halfpipe sharing the same magic carpet is brilliant too by the way. Then since the racing seems to be moving towards smoke, i would assume that would mean a pipe would be going onto switch. There was never a pipe on switch.. I don't even think they know what the plans are at this point, so i'd take everything with a grain of salt.

So wait, I'm confused, are there any pipes graded at Sno? Is the tubing hill steep enough for a super pipe?

I don't have much to add on the pa pipe scene that wasn't already stated. I will say that Whiteface has a legit superpipe every year. They are one of the olympic training areas, and as such have an olympic superpipe.

Other than that, whiteface is pretty out of the way for most people.

Wow if they haven't graded a pipe with dirt, it is going to take them FOREVER. A 22' pipe is going to take enough snow to cover several trails top to bottom. Have you seen how much dirt is under the mountain creek pipe, even the mammoth and park city pipe have dirt underneith.

Very good point! That could very well become the most expensive pipe in the country! Goodluck Sno!