Should i go to COC?

k2instructor

im 18 ive been skiing for about 12 years. In the past 3 years i recently got into park skiing. I can hit the jumps and boxes. But need alot of work... I wouldn't even consider myself good at the park.. but i want to get better. Should i go to the camp or would it be a waste of time. I'm not scared by the size of the jumps, rails, pipe. I've tried almost every park feature that i could get near. But im willing to spend the money but need some feed back on the camp. It says if your new to park skiing to come.. but is that true?

Thanks guys,

chris

If you are willing to lay down the cash, I say go. We went to Dave Murray ski/ride camp last summer and it was great. I hear COC is the best in Whistler. The only reason we didn't pick that camp was because my kids were too young to meet the age requirements. Whistler itself is a great place to visit. All the camps have off snow activities such as: bungee jumping, ziptrek, paintball, wakeboard, mountain biking etc. Everyone who is there loves to ski or ride so you will make friends fast. PM pappasteeze for more info, he has sent his kid there at least twice.

All summer camps are good. Chances are, that if you go once, you will return another time.

In my Opinion..............Summer Park Camps are more about the experience than they are about coaching and skills progression. The coaches at COC in my opinion, are more celebrities than they are trained instructors. If you are adamant about going to a summer camp to learn, then I would make it very clear to your coach on the day you arrive of what tricks you want to learn, then stay on his ass if you feel you are not getting attention. Matt Sterbenz will likely be your coach. Start with a list of goals or tricks that you want to learn this season, then make a new list for camp.

My son has gone to COC for 3 years now and will be there under the pro camp program next summer. he can be a good teacher when he isn't distracted. I know he is always looking for people to ride and film with. He would be stoked to know that you are from "home".

Go to a summer park program for the overall experience of having fun first, go to learn new skills second.

Momentum is the camp that has the best reputation for instruction, for the park. But that is second hand info. COC is the biggest and the best and the most expensive, they have doubled the amount of terrain in just 3 years and are continuing to grow. It won't surprise me if they run the whole glacier in the years to come..

According to Transworld Snowboarding, Whistler Blackcomb has the fifth best park in the world. The word by all our coaches and visiting pros when they rode the 2007 COC Park, "COC - The best park in Whistler for two years in a row

Thank you guys.. i think im going to sign up... i may have to sell a kidney but ill do it haha.

It is expensive, no doubt. but by paying for it now will make the experience that much sweeter then.

This is a forum that you will want to visit when the time gets closer. It is dead right now.

Camp of Champions Forum

IMO any of the summer camps are not worth it. For the same price you can have a solid week of skiing anywhere out west. It's not the summer, but I would much rather ski epic winter conditions out west than a bunch of melting rails and booters on a glacier in the summer. If you really want summer skiing, then don't forget you could always plan a South America or NZ trip, where their winter is our summer so powder days will happen. Most people forget to mention the fact that sometimes they have rain or ice storms on the glacier as well. My friend went to Windell's and lost 3 days of skiing because of that. Glacier skiing is way unpredictable to pay well over $2k just for a week. I know that includes instruction, but that is a trade off for planning your own trip obviously.

Keep in mind that you're 18. Do you really want to go to a summer camp with a bunch of kids? I know they have adults that go there, but think of all the nazi rules you'd have to follow.

I went through this last year, I was going to go to COC last summer. Then after calculating airfare, spending money (dinner is not provided), all on top of the camp price, I decided to save my money for an adventure out west. If I did go then I wouldn't be going to VT over winter break for sure.

So justin, you haven't ever been to a camp before, have you? Most kids that I know that have been to camp, if you give them a choice. They will choose a week on the glacier in the summer over a week anywhere else. Tough decision on paper unless you have experienced both extensively in person.

In response to Justin's post...camps do have adult only sessions. I believe if you are 18 or over the "nazi" rules do not apply since you are legally an adult. Plus I don't think the point of spending that amount of money to go to Whistler is to smoke pot and get trashed in your hotel room. Camp is a great overall experience. I wish they offered it when I was that age.

Just my two cents... If you have the cash, DO IT.

I always wanted to go, and probably could have while I was still in high school. However, I was too froogle and did not want to spend the cash. I still want to go, but don't have the money. Not to mention, the older I get the harder it is to shell out that much money. So I say do it while you can. Go out and have a freaking blast. You are going to meet so many people and make so many friends. Then when winter rolls around after camp you are more then likely going to know people all across the country that you can meet up with and crash at their place and ride their local mountains. Do it man.

So justin, you haven't ever been to a camp before, have you? Most kids that I know that have been to camp, if you give them a choice. They will choose a week on the glacier in the summer over a week anywhere else. Tough decision on paper unless you have experienced both extensively in person.

I've went to Woodward skate camp for 6 years. Instruction has always been a joke there, I only learned stuff from skating with my friends and just skating a lot in general. But skateparks are a lot different than snow parks, for one they don't melt in the summer. Good skate spots are consistent any time of the year basically.

Like I said, I've went down the COC road before. It's just not worth it to me. I'd much rather have a week skiing in perfect winter conditions, with a pristine park, than skiing melted hits on a glacier with unpredictable weather. But hey, everybody's different.

Nevertheless, with all the research I've done, COC is the best camp out there if you plan on doing it, and Papasteeze will confirm this fact. I just think that summer skiing camps as a whole are not worth the money. It's $1300+GST for the cheapest session, which is only 3 days on snow, with the weather at your mercy. Oh and this still doesn't include airfare. Atomic Jeff was telling me how he got 7 days/5 ski days in Jackson Hole, with airfare, ground transportation, and slopeside lodging for the same price of $1300. So just consider that fact as well.

And in response to the nazi rules post, if I'm paying all that money to go on a ski vacation, I'm doing whatever I want. If I want to go out and enjoy myself after a day of skiing, I wouldn't want someone telling me I have to be in bed at a certain time, or even wake up at a certain time for that matter. But like I said everybody is different...thats my view on summer camps. If going to COC will make you happy, then go for it. She asked for feedback and opinions, and she got mine.

I went for five days over the summer and had the best time of my life sooo yeah. I'd say it was worth it. Whistler is straight up unbelievable. I'm going back next year for sure. Oh, and yes it's expensive..really expensive, but they give out a ton of free shit, (everyone gets a bag of.."goodies" at the end of the session with free stuff in it. Nice jackets, goggles, etc.) and the only meal you need to take care of is dinner. They provide super good breakfast and lunch for ya. You meet so many people, and everyone is really chill. So much fun. Oh, and as far as instruction goes..everyone helps eachother. Fellow skiers, riders, coaches, you name it, they help.

Edited by k2fujative

Plus I don't think the point of spending that amount of money to go to Whistler is to smoke pot and get trashed in your hotel room.

Exactly. You can do that on any ski trip. :banghead

Ski trips in the summer vs ski trips in the winter isn't apples to apples. Sure JH is $1300 during the winter, but what would you pay to ski, for example, JH in the summer? For jibhonks, they don't care how much vert or terrain is open, they just want their hits and jibs, and to do this in the middle of the summer is worth it, on top of the instruction. If you can afford it, why not? Go big or go home.

if youre not too great at park coc will be a pretty large waste. like said before, you can ski out west for a solid week for the same price. Since the parks out west are 1000 times better then anything here it would essentially be like riding at camp anyway. i say go out west during winter/spring, save some money, ride some dope ass parks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you are more interested in the learning part and not the experiance of summer camp part did you look at South Shore Soldiers? It is spring break instead of summer, at Heavenly, it is cheaper, and it is aimed at an older crowd. I bet it is more "serious" about instruction too but I don't know anyone who has gone. I'm thinking about going eventually, I'm not sure if you have to be 18 or 21 to go.

• 2 weeks later...

i went to momentum 2 years ago and it was crazy fun. most coaches there actually cared about teaching and it was a great experience. they also have their own t-bar, COC uses the public t-bar so its generally a longer wait to ride. all the camps on the glacier have real nice features, but i guess you can always poch other camps if your bored. but if you have the money i say look into all the summer camps, theres a section about the best camps in the new freeskier, and definatly go, you wont regret it.