Stowe Report 12/23/07, Day 2

Justin

Just got back from the cushy 9 hour drive....

Left the hotel at the usual 6:30. Decided to skip breakfast at the diner and headed right to Stowe. Stopped in the Mobil in town and grabbed these awesome fresh sausage breakfast sandwiches and 2 Red Bulls. Pulled up to the Mansfield Lodge at 7:30 on the dot. Booted up and got third chair, the Fourrunner opened late.

Conditions in the morning were OK. Everything was nicely groomed from top to bottom, but as expected most of Lord was very hard from the sleet the night before. The snow softened up as we got closer to the base though. Got into a lapping pace today, hitting Lord to North Slope then the park on lower North Slope. The park hits were in awesome condition. Snow was perfect consistency in the park. It's amazing how much easier things are when the snow is nice and the hits were groomed and built properly. As the day went on the snow softened up a lot on the whole mountain, but around 10 the incoming rain storm had been covering the mountain, causing some pretty nasty wind and a little rain. From the peak I hit some very tight tree run between Lift Line and Lord and wound up getting stuck halfway. I had too much speed and tried to slow down, but the run was packed down so I got my skis stuck inbetween the packed trail and the loose snow deep in the trees. Dan got a picture of me looking like a noob. We decided to hit up Toll Road for a nice last run of the weekend and then head out for the long drive home. Dan (vincent vega) decided to hit the shred button and turned into a tree riding machine. He found at least 4 or 5 really nice, fast, and fun tree runs off the side of Toll Road. As we approached the bottom, he found an amazing untracked nook between TR and Easy Mile. He took the far right and wound up getting stuck. I took far left and skied it out pretty well, until about 1/2 way when I lost speed and fell over trying to make a turn. I was in chest deep powder, my entire park pole was covered (38" long) so I'd say 45" of snow at least. I managed to somehow roll over onto my back and back on my skis and spit out onto Easy Mile. We rode the incredibly slow TR lift then skied back to the lodge and headed out around 10:45.

i suck at interwebz

heres the pics

top of the gondi

stowe014.jpg

obligatory stowe shot

stowe020.jpg

random church in the middle of toll road

stowe018.jpg

steep and very deep

stowe016.jpg

justin noobin' it up in the trees

stowe022.jpg

"doug said their would be fresh on the side of chin clip" only it was nast bumps

stowe002.jpg

the storm on its way

stowe024.jpg

Edited by vincent vega

where did u guys stay?

The Hilltop Inn in Berlin/Montpelier. It was $69/night, but if you're looking to stay somewhere I'd check out either the Alpenrose or Mountaineer Inn which are both in the village of Stowe. The place we were at was 35-40 minutes from the mountain. The two in Stowe are around $70-90/night.

Nice TR and nice pics guys. Even though I've only been there once, Stowe is my hands down favorite place to ride on the east coast. Looks like you got a nice weekend to go out there with all the snow.

Here's my obligatory Stowe shot from last year.

MountMansfield.jpg

Edited by Schifdawg