New waxing technique

Glenn

So I'm riding a lift with a really talkitive guy, and he starts going on about needing to get his skis waxed because in the slush hes not moving fast enough. Then he says "Oh, and you can try this too, I've done it myself a couple of times, you go into the bathroom, and put the handwash soap on your base, it works for about 3 runs. It will really get you going in the runout" Hahaha, thats got to do a number on your base. Just thought I would share.

Ha, when I first read this thread I didn't even know what to say. I mean, waxing isn't to grease your skis, it's to allow the water/snow/ice to efficiently pass under your base without friction.

I did see a TV documentary on prison life where the guys had a special use for that kind of soap...and the little packets of butter, too. :sex

Ha, when I first read this thread I didn't even know what to say. I mean, waxing isn't to grease your skis, it's to allow the water/snow/ice to efficiently pass under your base without friction.

I did see a TV documentary on prison life where the guys had a special use for that kind of soap...and the little packets of butter, too.  :sex

:lol:lol:lol I saw that documentary as well. Then agian, maybe all prison documentary's contain the "I'm lonely in prison" segment :P

• 10 months later...

im not sure it would do anything at all, harm or good. plastic is pretty impermeable at room temperature, and if its something skin safe, i dont think it would do much harm. however, we can agree that it would not help much. the superficial slick layer of soap would be worn off skating to the lift. in his defense, perception is reality, and the psychological effect does exist.

^^^ Except our boards are not really made of plastic....

Ski and snowboard bases are made out of polyethylene, which is a thermoplastic material composed of polymers of ethylene. Even if it's a high end graphite base, it's still just graphite added to the polethylene pellets.

So I suppose you can call it fancy plastic :)

Hmmm, after skiing, can he ski across the living room to shampoo the carpet?

:yes

Edited by ski999

^^^ Except our boards are not really made of plastic....

Ski and snowboard bases are made out of polyethylene, which is a thermoplastic material composed of polymers of ethylene. Even if it's a high end graphite base, it's still just graphite added to the polethylene pellets.

So I suppose you can call it fancy plastic :)

thanks. youll learn one day, kiddo!

Haha, speaking of lift rides with people who have no idea what they are talking about; Justo8484 and I were on the gondola this weekend at Killington and this guy got on with a pair of like 190 straight skis that were straight outa the '80s. Normally you would just think that this is someone who just doesn't want to buy the new gear and learn how to use it, but the first thing the guy said was, "wow look at all that fancy gear out there" in reference to the skis hangin on the doors. He went on to say how he goes around to different garage sales and buys old skis for $5 a pair and has over 20 pairs of these fantastic skis. He told us how he put circuit boards and batteries on one pair so that he could tell little kids they they were computer skis and they did the skiing for him and how much the little kids loved it. It made me think he might want more attention from little kids than would be appropriate. He loves the way his straight skis ski, and even though he bought some of those crazy parabolic skis and still has a pair from the early 90's, he will never be a convert. Rock on straight ski diehard! :rock

that man was a nut, for sure... but abou the waxing stuff, i am not so sure how liquid soap works, but in a pinch, a bar of soap will work, but it wears off quickly and leaves your bases really dry.

wow, lets hope my stock comes in and that never has to be the case, haha.

i guess thats similar to the "crayon" waxing method. does anyone use that? ive never tried, bu i dont think it would sufficiently heat up the wax and the base.

Crayon and cork are a good quick method of waxing. Nowhere near as god as a hot wax, but much better than a wipe on. The heat comes from the friction of the cork. A lot of racers do it before their second run. On warm days, cork is used to rub in pure flouro overlays like PTFE, which is Telflon. The Teflon doesn't melt, so you are heating up the wax and mixing in the overlay.

Atomic and 'Dude were nice enough to help me test a new brand of pure flouro at Belleayre, Sunday. People thought we were a little odd with our skis laid out at the top of the run, corking in PTFE.