Has anyone skied/boarded Elk

messr2006

I thinking about going up to elk this weekend and i was wondering if anyone has ski/boarded there and if so how was it.

elk is amazing. plain amazing. But they only have two diamonds open, and they aren't even the best diamonds (they have a lot).....But elk is a great experience, especially w/ the secluded trails, those two are wide open cruisers...

i love elk :wub:

frankly i LOVE the fact that they don't have lights! It means less people ski on the snow each day, which preserves snow quality. and the location? couldn't be better, its nowhere near anything! Elk is a great mtn, that will make you feel like you're skiing in vermont :D

they do, however, seem to have limited snowmaking power

I do agree that for the quality of the mountain, the drive isn't bad.

The lights however... I wish the entire mountain had lights so that I could get more time on those blues on the right side of the mountain. And out of the places I've been night skiing at, I defintely have the hardest tme seeing at Elk... even with light amplification lenses.

never night skiied at elk, would never want to, there are only a few lighted trails anyway. The mountain is pretty expansive, there are trails i still haven't skiied there. The amount of diamonds is amazing, and the feeling that you get when you're skiing there, its soo much differnet then skiing at blue mtn or anywhere else. It feels like the trees overhang all the trails, like the trails are there, they werent cut...i dunno, its a great place :)

never night skiied at elk, would never want to, there are only a few lighted trails anyway.  The mountain is pretty expansive, there are trails i still haven't skiied there.  The amount of diamonds is amazing, and the feeling that you get when you're skiing there, its soo much differnet then skiing at blue mtn or anywhere else.  It feels like the trees overhang all the trails, like the trails are there, they werent cut...i dunno, its a great place  :)

Yep, yep.

2nd day back from Elk I went to Bear Creek with a co-worker. All I was thinking all day was... Is this the end of the trail already?? And blacks at Bear seem so easy compared to Elk.

Limited snowmaking

Slow lifts

Poor night skiing.

You can look at it either way...Its either a bad mountain, or a great mountain. If you get there a day after a snow storm, where it is not freezing it will be great. If you are there in the rain sitting on the lift for 12 minutes each run, hitting thin/bare spots...It won't be a great day.

Elk is a great freeriding mountain, the best in PA. Right now they only have a few trails open and is not worth going to. If you like to do some park riding than stay away, their park is terrible, it consists of about two jumps which suck.

elk is amazing. THE best freeriding place in PA, period. I went there last year around feburary, mostly open, the trails were great. like atomic said, there are no lights or tower guns or anything - just you and the mountain. even though they are a little slow on snowmaking and there are minimal lighted trails, their quality makes up for that. besides, i rarely go night riding anyway. the lifts are a bit slow, but you have to remember, the runs are much longer so its worth the wait, its not like you wait 10 minutes on the lift and you go down a run that lasts 2 minutes. im trying to go this season but i dont know with all if this rain and warm weather, its crazy. oh and for their park, i didn't even venture into those waters - i just had a feeling it would be bad....

they have 1 quad which take u tot eh most prime stop on the mt

hat place so much fun

best freeriding ever

and after a fari dump go unger the lifts which have openings i the trees that just urge u to go under the lift

aand no rangers and not manjy sk partolers

well both their bump runs are under the lifts, though the one in the base area is a good "learn to ski the bumps" trail, even though its sorta tight under there, bumps aren't that narly, though the ones on tunkhannock are pretty big sometimes

well both their bump runs are under the lifts, though the one in the base area is a good "learn to ski the bumps" trail, even though its sorta tight under there, bumps aren't that narly, though the ones on tunkhannock are pretty big sometimes

Last time I was up there in early March they had let Wyalusing (or maybe it was Chippewa) get bumped up. I found that a good place to work on my bump skills without being a spectacle for everyone on the lift.

If you get there a day after a snow storm, where it is not freezing it will be great. 

Last week we were up there right after it snowed 2-3" the night before and it was snowing throughout most of the day. Gotta admit that those were possibly the best conditions I've ever experienced at any PA mountain.

One more note... it gets REALLY cold and windy at the top of Elk.

Last week we were up there right after it snowed 2-3" the night before and it was snowing throughout most of the day. Gotta admit that those were possibly the best conditions I've ever experienced at any PA mountain.

One more note... it gets REALLY cold and windy at the top of Elk.

especailly when you get off the lift, and hang a right...i've been almost blown backwards on that trail <_<

especailly when you get off the lift, and hang a right...i've been almost blown backwards on that trail  <_<

LOL!

I was almost pushed down one of the blacks by the wind. This was last year when I started snowboarding. Could've ended up being pretty ugly, but I decided to sit on my ass and use my board to stop myself before reaching the edge of the black (point of no return).

elk has a very odd location also

as you drive to elk all there is are smmal rolling hisl and flatfarm land and u can somtimes see the snowmobile track along side the road

then all of a sudden theres els s huge hill outa no where

i have to say elk is one of the better mountains b/c in a way they hae preserved the old school sking idea of just carving and what sking started out as