How to Backflip

EAZY-Emuntz

I've been thinking of trying one for a while now, but first I want to hear from others for tips on how to do a backflip. The problem is I'm only 14 and still in middle school but I am much better than all of my friends, so obviously I have no help from them. I hear that its pretty much get the balls to do the jump and look back and follow through, but I wouldn't know. So now i just need a few tips from my friends at pasr on what to do and maybe some wristgaurds and I think I'll be set

Sh*t I somehow posted it multiple times

Edited by EAZY-Emuntz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to try these in feb. when the conditions are all powder and everything, but i do backflip on land... so i know quite abit...

This should help you allot...

If the jump is big: There are a few diffrent ways you can do this, a few methods... The most used is just to throw yourself backwards, *up* not out... leading with you head... Although, for a medium size jumps, around here... another way is to *drop* one of your shoulders back... This may cause you to spin abit, but it should not totally kill you...

Don't think about underspinning, or you will... think about overspinning, Don't tuck until you KNOW you need it, and you will see, when you do tuck, how damn fast you will spin when in full tuck...

If its a smaller jump, or large mougle... I'd say go full tuck. This includes grabbing your calf's... Don't really split your legs, because it will make your skis go out more.. The biggest thing with smaller jumps, is to jump UP!!!!! NOT OUT!!!! jump up HIGH, because you need the highth for your skis to clear at 270...

Idk, i tried, its kinda hard to explain because i've never done them with skis, i'd say just don't freak out in the air... actually, next time your in the park, stand at the top of your jump (on the lip) with your skis off, and backflip with your boots on off the lip, onto the deck of the jump... just to feel a flip...

Idk if i sound like an ass from my point of view, or a pro, but i tried...

EDIT! http://www.newschoolers.com/web/content/videos/id/159960/

That MAY happen if you drop your shoulder, you'll realize its happening FAST and be able to fix it, like nip does, but on purpose...

Edited by Mike Piccoletti

I was just learning them the other day and after a few attempts i had the rotation pretty much down and then went balls out on one, under rotated by only a hair and dislocated my shoulder. I know that this may not sound helpful but i learned one lesson from it that i will follow through with the day i get back on the snow with a healed shoulder. That lesson is grab your board. if i had grabbed nothing would have happened to my shoulder other than a quick ouch. Heres some other tips, do not hesitate when setting up. as any hesitation will lead to under rotation keep your head looking back until you can see your landing. throw yourself as hard as you can into it on the first try. And most importantly, do a grab.

The key to a good backflip is you just need to have the balls and fully committ. I was about 14 or 15 when i landed my first 1 and b4 i landed 1, i landed on my stomach a couple times and on my head. Look for a jump with a really lippy takeoff and about a 15 ft gap (that is necessary for your first time). most jumps are built for spinning and have a more mellow takeoff. I was up at bear this past week and the two jumps at the bottom of black bear right next to the up rail would be your best bet for ur first flip. If ur regular stance, just committ and throw ur right shoulder down and your left shoulder up really hard. If you have the opportunity try it on a trampoline to get comfortable with the rotation. Its not a hard trick it just takes balls. Wear a helmet and goodluck.

alright bruuuuhhhh a backflip is as easy as a whore, your crazy spinners your talking about are harder than that shit

and if you mean straight backflip like a wildcat thats thats rediculous, noone does wildcats anymore and i wish they would

alright bruuuuhhhh a backflip is as easy as a whore, your crazy spinners your talking about are harder than that shit

and if you mean straight backflip like a wildcat thats thats rediculous, noone does wildcats anymore and i wish they would

Rodeos are just as easy as back flips and look much cooler. Instead of flipping backwards over you back sholder, you open up and flip backwards leading with your front sholder and the rest of the rotation just follows.

opening up your front shoulder would mean your doing a fs rodeo

this is a real fs rodeo not the gayflip 180's your talking about

and here is a good angle of a bs rodeo

the thing your talking about is this

it just aint the same duuuuude

opening up your front shoulder would mean your doing a fs rodeo
No shit, you're pretty quick. Its also called an underflip, but you probably knew that. That also makes it very similar to a backflip.

this is a real fs rodeo not the gayflip 180's your talking about

That "gayflip 180" as you called is a FS rodeo. You know the basis of the trick you just posted.

and here is a good angle of a bs rodeo

And? Who said anything about BS rodeos?

it just aint the same duuuuude
What isn't the same? You hit you head or something? All I said is rodeos are just as eay to do as backflips and look much cooler. Even explained how to do them. Maybe try comprehending things you read before posting...it will prevent you from looking like a retard in the future.

burton71 just got raped by that beautiful post by dw
Uhh...no. Edited by burton71

Oh man, this thread got even better. If you honestly believe that a frontside rodeo is better looking than a straight up layed out backflip then I really don't know what to say to you.

Also, for the record, that youtube link of a "front rodeo" isn't really a front rodeo at all, he's just spinning off his toes and leaning into the spin. He's never really upside down at any point during that trick.

Oh man, this thread got even better. If you honestly believe that a frontside rodeo is better looking than a straight up layed out backflip then I really don't know what to say to you.
You can say you have no ideo what style is. Straight front and back flips are lame. Have you ever even seen a snowboard video in say the last 10 years or so? Edited by burton71