Describe Camelback on a busy day...

setagehtta

So I live close to CB and therefore never go on weekends. Even on weekdays I either go early and leave at 11AM or go at 8PM and stay to last chair. If the 2nd lot is more than half full I will simply turn around and go home.

I see all these other lifts sitting idle and I cannot even fathom how crowded the slopes would be with all those lifts running. Hell, the trails can get crowded with only the Sullivan/Stevenson running.

Curious what CB is like at peak times...Liftlines, trails, lodge, etc.

Edited by setagehtta

So I live close to CB and therefore never go on weekends. Even on weekdays I either go early and leave at 11AM or go at 8PM and stay to last chair. If the 2nd lot is more than half full I will simply turn around and go home.

I see all these other lifts sitting idle and I cannot even fathom how crowded the slopes would be with all those lifts running. Hell, the trails can get crowded with only the Sullivan/Stevenson running.

Curious what CB is like at peak times...Liftlines, trails, lodge, etc.

it's like going to the airport when it snows. people everywhere.

It never ceases to amaze me that even on the busiest days, when there can be a line an hour long at the quads, that looking up to Marjies, Rocket of Asp there will only be 3 or 4 people on the trail at a time. Now that doesn't help because you cant get there and you still have to deal with the cluster-f at the bottom where all the green and black trails funnel together back to the lift.

Busy weekends are horrible, I've only ever tried to put up with it once or twice, it really isn't worth it. Not only is the traffic density that much higher but the quality of the people on the slopes takes a dive too, so there is much more chance of being wiped out by some rental retard.

The rentards pay for our snow, just don't go on MLK weekend and avoid the holiday week too. They all come out in force, it is worse than a normal weekend by far. I don't know what about that extra day that makes everyone come out, but they do. Are people renting houses? Anyway, if I where you I'd drive further to a less known mountain because you will lose all that time in lift lines.

Instead of Mountain Creek do Hidden Valley. (Probably the least crowded of all)

Instead of Camelback, JFBB, Blue do Shawnee.

Instead of Hunter, Windham, do Belleayre.

Instead of Stratton, Mount Snow, Okemo do Magic or Bromley.

Instead of Killington do Pico.

Camelback on peak days is a wild time. You're sure to run into some people who camped in the bar slamming shots for 2 hours and (sometimes the same group of people) the group who hasn't skied for 3-4 years. The lines are awful, but if stay as a single and go to the less busy side of the quad waits are usually shorter than 20 min. Trails get packed and anything without a diamond on it is a death trap. The trails get so beat that by 4p.m. 50%+ of the terrain is unrideable because of whoops and icey chutes down the trails. It's super fun though, and if you have a season pass you should make a day out of it with some friends.

The rentards pay for our snow, just don't go on MLK weekend and avoid the holiday week too. They all come out in force, it is worse than a normal weekend by far. I don't know what about that extra day that makes everyone come out, but they do. Are people renting houses? Anyway, if I where you I'd drive further to a less known mountain because you will lose all that time in lift lines.

Is next week considered a holiday week? Arent the kids in school?

I just got back from CB today, conditions were decent, Cliffhanger was a bit rubbly on the top third but enough chalky manmade to avoid bulletproof ice on the bottom two thirds. The groomers did a nice job with Asp, they've created deeper ravines on the right along the fall line and allowed it to get slightly bumped up in the middle. Rocket was getting icy and the Hump and Margie were unremarkable and skiable with a few icy spots. I called it a day by 1:30 due to the crowds. The new owners are rapidly turning the whole place into a "resort" which only makes CB less attractive to me as a ski destination. I came home this afternoon and opted not to stay another nite to ski Sunday. Elk was decent on Thursday and superb on Friday. They opened an ungroomed upper Tunkhannock which was deep and soft all day long. The freeheelers were out in force and the left side of the hill was Bump central. Friday was as close to a 10 all around. Downside: quite a few trails were closed.

Edited by Moe Ghoul

I just got back from CB today, conditions were decent, Cliffhanger was a bit rubbly on the top third but enough chalky manmade to avoid bulletproof ice on the bottom two thirds. The groomers did a nice job with Asp, they've created deeper ravines on the right along the fall line and allowed it to get slightly bumped up in the middle. Rocket was getting icy and the Hump and Margie were unremarkable and skiable with a few icy spots. I called it a day by 1:30 due to the crowds. The new owners are rapidly turning the whole place into a "resort" which only makes CB less attractive to me as a ski destination. I came home this afternoon and opted not to stay another nite to ski Sunday. Elk was decent on Thursday and superb on Friday. They opened an ungroomed upper Tunkhannock which was deep and soft all day long. The freeheelers were out in force and the left side of the hill was Bump central. Friday was as close to a 10 all around. Downside: quite a few trails were closed.

Its true, with the resort you lose the hardcore clientel and gain the less dedicated patrons. I have to think that in a hard year they are going to want that hardcore guy who will come no matter what the snow in their backyard is, but a day care center brings 100 noobs out that covers what you and I will spend lifetime there, so pissing you or I off matters little to their bottom line. Thats what I worry about what the snow conditions, terrain opening schedule, and lifts are like, and I don't really care what they do with the base. I pass through it on my way up and on my way out, but I hear you they are going for the full deal there.

On a weekend like this, just think that every idiot that pisses you off is paying for the snow we get to ride on alone early season, late season, and midweek.

Its true, with the resort you lose the hardcore clientel and gain the less dedicated patrons. I have to think that in a hard year they are going to want that hardcore guy who will come no matter what the snow in their backyard is, but a day care center brings 100 noobs out that covers what you and I will spend lifetime there, so pissing you or I off matters little to their bottom line. Thats what I worry about what the snow conditions, terrain opening schedule, and lifts are like, and I don't really care what they do with the base. I pass through it on my way up and on my way out, but I hear you they are going for the full deal there.

On a weekend like this, just think that every idiot that pisses you off is paying for the snow we get to ride on alone early season, late season, and midweek.

They're putting in a hotel/timeshare with an indoor water park to compete with great Wolf, a quarter share for the 5th floor club runs 250 G's, or so I heard. They're gonna put it up right in front of the Stevenson Lift. I guess I can't blame them for trying to wring more dollars out of their investment. Ski season isn't their big money generator anyway, the summer season pulls down the big dollars. That's why Elk is worth the extra hour drive for me. I've never been to Sno Mountain, I'm gonna give it a shot before the end of the season if I can rally a few others to drive up there.

All good advice. Have you been to Hidden Valley? We had an ASRA race there a couple of years ago on a very cool slope with two blind headwall breakovers. I liked the place a lot---like a big Tanglwood.

On the busiest of days almost all the lifts to turn but it is absolutly not worth visiting. That isn't just Camelback though, I wouldnt recommend anyone to go to any resort on a holiday weekend. If you go to a recreational facility and your in a parking lot that might require a shuttle bus or it takes you more than 10 min to find a spot you might as well turn around and go back home as you said. It never fails to amuse me how so many people go to resorts on holiday weekends than bitch and cry that the lines are ridiculas when it was blatently obvious that it would be that way before they even set foot out of their car.