22 foot zaug is in

dwy33

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'll be damned. It is brand new too.. And this cutter will remain at Sno...... Any ideas of what that cost?

When is the best guess of having a pipe cut and open to the public? Or is this going to be like Mountain Creek?

Assuming the weather is favorable for snow blowing, assuming that the farming of the snow will be complete and that it will be sufficiently benched in to allow it to be cut.

I am assuming that ryan or someone on his crew are the only qualified ones to run it. When are they due back?

Well I'll be damned. It is brand new too.. And this cutter will remain at Sno...... Any ideas of what that cost?

When is the best guess of having a pipe cut and open to the public? Or is this going to be like Mountain Creek?

Assuming the weather is favorable for snow blowing, assuming that the farming of the snow will be complete and that it will be sufficiently benched in to allow it to be cut.

I am assuming that ryan or someone on his crew are the only qualified ones to run it. When are they due back?

Hahahahahah!!!!

Great pics, dwy33. Sno management sure does seem to want to get it right. Congrats on the new toy....

Don't be hating..Sno is the only mountain with the ballz to build a 22 foot halfpipe..put that in your halfpipe and smoke it..If they build it..They will come..imagine Danny Kass and DHarrisburg at Sno..I'm bringing my autograph book!!!!!!

DH spinnin' to win! I'd be rooting for him!

Looks like Sno made another poor decision. And wasted lots of money in the process.

Way to go guys!

Seriously, why do you even care? Your previous postings indicate that you seem to despise Sno ...

There are plenty of mountains in the area for you to go to (and bitch about).

Seriously, why do you even care? Your previous postings indicate that you seem to despise Sno ...

There are plenty of mountains in the area for you to go to (and bitch about).

I don't despise Sno. I just want them to get better and they aren't doing a good job of it despite all of their claims. I would prefer to ski at Sno when I'm home b/c its closer than boulder or creek, but it's never worth the 15 minute drive. I just think they are making many poor decisions when it comes to "improving" the mountain. And I also don't know what they think a 22 foot pipe is going to do for them. I understand it may initially bring in some people who are not local to Sno and it would be sick if it actually turns out nice and they maintain it. But honestly, there may be 5 kids in all of PA who will be able to air out of a 22 foot pipe, or even make it within 4 feet of the deck. I ski Park City on a daily basis which has arguably the best park in the world, and they only have an 18 foot pipe. Guess how many people are in the pipe during the week. None. And on the weekends there may be 4 or 5 kids throwing down in it. And much like Sno will have the only "good" pipe in PA, PC has the only nice pipe in Utah. Although there are many good skis at Sno and all throughout the tri-state area, the talent pool at PC is much greater. Therefore, I foresee hardly anybody using the 22 footer at Sno.

I'm just voicing my opinion about the decisions that Sno is making, since obviously they aren't putting much thought into them. I really would like to see them get better, but they need to start trying.

I don't despise Sno. I just want them to get better and they aren't doing a good job of it despite all of their claims. I would prefer to ski at Sno when I'm home b/c its closer than boulder or creek, but it's never worth the 15 minute drive. I just think they are making many poor decisions when it comes to "improving" the mountain. And I also don't know what they think a 22 foot pipe is going to do for them. I understand it may initially bring in some people who are not local to Sno and it would be sick if it actually turns out nice and they maintain it. But honestly, there may be 5 kids in all of PA who will be able to air out of a 22 foot pipe, or even make it within 4 feet of the deck. I ski Park City on a daily basis which has arguably the best park in the world, and they only have an 18 foot pipe. Guess how many people are in the pipe during the week. None. And on the weekends there may be 4 or 5 kids throwing down in it. And much like Sno will have the only "good" pipe in PA, PC has the only nice pipe in Utah. Although there are many good skis at Sno and all throughout the tri-state area, the talent pool at PC is much greater. Therefore, I foresee hardly anybody using the 22 footer at Sno.

I'm just voicing my opinion about the decisions that Sno is making, since obviously they aren't putting much thought into them. I really would like to see them get better, but they need to start trying.

If I had park city to ski at on a daily basis I wouldn't be wasting my time on park features.... just me though

Pa kids have lots of reasons why to ski the park / pipe

"If you build it they will come"

I thought that was Rodney Dangerfield that invented the tindy....no wait that was the triple lindy... my bad

Fair enough ... This is the second year for Sno under private ownership. It seems like the new owners are making an earnest effort at turning this place around. They need something to set the hill apart from all the the rest (and help drive ticket sales). Perhaps the 22 foot pipe will have some draw. I'm not sure what their business plan is, but I hope they succeed ('cause it's a damn long drive to Elk). If the 22 foot pipe doesn't work out they can probably sell the Zaugg to somebody else (like Park City).

Fuck off, hater. How many ski areas do you run? Pffffttt...

I actually don't run any ski areas, and I clearly stated that I wasn't hating. Some people just want Sno to improve rather than being satisfied with how it is currently. Nothing good will ever come to Sno without progression, I just feel that they need to take smaller steps to progress. They should make what they already have better before they undertake a huge new project that will consume a great amount of time, money and snow.

I actually don't run any ski areas, and I clearly stated that I wasn't hating. Some people just want Sno to improve rather than being satisfied with how it is currently. Nothing good will ever come to Sno without progression, I just feel that they need to take smaller steps to progress. They should make what they already have better before they undertake a huge new project that will consume a great amount of time, money and snow.

Blah, blah, blah...you have no fucking clue. Do you know the price of the 22' Zaugg being purchased now as opposed to the '09 price? Running a business is a little more complicated than you are able to understand, apparently. They have an extensive business plan and execute certain purchases at predetermined times. Different departments and various projects are given separate budgets that you aren't privy to. And then there are people who talk out their butts just to hear their butts talk. Eh, that's you, KyleA. If you can't look at at Montage two years ago and Sno today and get some hint of ENORMOUS progress, then you're fucking blind.

You tell'em Ski, Guys this is only the second year! you cant just throw it all out at once, its a process (which i don't know too much about) but i can understand that the people who took over the mountain SAVED IT!!! You guys remember how much montage sucked some times i remember nf being incredibly horrible, right off the bat they bought all those snow guns, which was a very big investment and drastically improved the quality of the snow. Idk anything about their master plans but i can tell you this, the owners didn't become successful enough to be able to invest in something like this without having a pretty good business sense. These things don't happen over night, ya just have to be patient.

Blah, blah, blah...you have no fucking clue. Do you know the price of the 22' Zaugg being purchased now as opposed to the '09 price? Running a business is a little more complicated than you are able to understand, apparently. They have an extensive business plan and execute certain purchases at predetermined times. Different departments and various projects are given separate budgets that you aren't privy to. And then there are people who talk out their butts just to hear their butts talk. Eh, that's you, KyleA. If you can't look at at Montage two years ago and Sno today and get some hint of ENORMOUS progress, then you're fucking blind.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you knew everything there is to know about skiing and sno mountain. I don't know how much a 22 foot zaugg will cost next year and actually, I don't know how much one cost this year. I'm pretty sure it was quite a bit of money though. They probably had to raise the price b/c they realized nobody needed one. The question is, do you know the uselessness of a 22 foot pipe? How big was the pipe in the x games? Ohh thats right 18 feet. So if the best riders in the world are riding an 18 foot pipe, why does snow need a 22? (And I'm not suggesting that an 18 foot pipe would be any better for sno.) Also, from what I hear they can't maintain a 13 foot pipe, so what makes anyone think they will maintain a 22? And an ungroomed 22 foot pipe can definitely do some damage to anybody. And you're right, I probably don't know how to run a resort, but I'm talking from a park skiers point of view rather than an old man who knows nothing about a half pipe point of view. Not many people can ride a 22 foot pipe especially in PA. And the only progress I see that Sno has made thus far was a name change, some snow guns that they don't use enough, a new lodge with over priced food, and a water park that didn't open when it was supposed to. I do have pretty bad vision though, so I may be missing some of it.

KyleA, Dude you really have no clue what has been going on, do you have any idea how much it costs to operate the lights guns and lifts? sno needs to make every penny they can and if you don't want to spend the money for a burger in the lodge you can drive down the hill to Wendy's and back up and use $5 worth of gas doing it, plus i really doubt the price of the zaugg will go up because of a lack of demand, thats another thing you have absolutely no clue about, the cost of raw materials and transportation/energy costs are going up, and everybody knows when demand goes up so does the price! maybe nobody in the area knows how to hit a 22ft pipe BECAUSE THEY DIDNT HAVE ONE BEFORE!!! Think before you talk man...

Did you see anything before thursday? everything was tilted, falling over all the takeoffs were gone, all the lips for the jumps were washed out, we pretty much had to rebuild the whole park in one night. I'm just wondering, have you even seen the park lately?

KyleA, Dude you really have no clue what has been going on, do you have any idea how much it costs to operate the lights guns and lifts? sno needs to make every penny they can and if you don't want to spend the money for a burger in the lodge you can drive down the hill to Wendy's and back up and use $5 worth of gas doing it, plus i really doubt the price of the zaugg will go up because of a lack of demand, thats another thing you have absolutely no clue about, the cost of raw materials and transportation/energy costs are going up, and everybody knows when demand goes up so does the price! maybe nobody in the area knows how to hit a 22ft pipe BECAUSE THEY DIDNT HAVE ONE BEFORE!!! Think before you talk man...

Did you see anything before thursday? everything was tilted, falling over all the takeoffs were gone, all the lips for the jumps were washed out, we pretty much had to rebuild the whole park in one night. I'm just wondering, have you even seen the park lately?

You're completely right. Sno's park is and has always been awesome, and the 22 foot pipe is going to be a great success.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you knew everything there is to know about skiing and sno mountain. I don't know how much a 22 foot zaugg will cost next year and actually, I don't know how much one cost this year. I'm pretty sure it was quite a bit of money though. They probably had to raise the price b/c they realized nobody needed one. The question is, do you know the uselessness of a 22 foot pipe? How big was the pipe in the x games? Ohh thats right 18 feet. So if the best riders in the world are riding an 18 foot pipe, why does snow need a 22? (And I'm not suggesting that an 18 foot pipe would be any better for sno.) Also, from what I hear they can't maintain a 13 foot pipe, so what makes anyone think they will maintain a 22? And an ungroomed 22 foot pipe can definitely do some damage to anybody. And you're right, I probably don't know how to run a resort, but I'm talking from a park skiers point of view rather than an old man who knows nothing about a half pipe point of view. Not many people can ride a 22 foot pipe especially in PA. And the only progress I see that Sno has made thus far was a name change, some snow guns that they don't use enough, a new lodge with over priced food, and a water park that didn't open when it was supposed to. I do have pretty bad vision though, so I may be missing some of it.

You must recognize that Sno is now an actual business. Prior to that it was a black hole for taxpayers money. There are many factors that dictate when and how they do certain things (like run snow guns, hire/fire people, etc.) The new owners are dumping a lot of cash into this venture. And yes, the snow guns are a huge improvement. The quality and quantity of snow seems better than the old style guns. Go to some of the other mountains that are still using the older equipment and compare. As far as properly maintaining a pipe is concerned, I'm sure there is a significant learning curve involved (much like learning to ski, drive a car, etc). You just have to give folks time.

Now the outlay of cash for the new Zaugg is probably pretty steep. I think I saw a price quote for an 18 foot 2003 model Pipe Monster at $70,000.

I think you need to be patient and less harsh in your judgment. I think constructive criticism is good, but disingenuous sniping not really helpful. Let them work through another season or two ...

I'm confused why a 22 ft pipe is harder to ride than a 13? Maybe scarier, but the bigger the pipe (from what I've ridden) the easier. Everyone here at WP said when they cut the pipe to 22 feet at the end of last year it was so much better, easier and more fun to ride than the 18 foot pipe that we normaly have. Bigger transitions means easier transitions, and more room to land if you don't air it out too far away from the deck.

I would be super stoked to ride a 22 foot pipe, and the fact it's in PA... even better.