22 foot zaug is in

dwy33

Its cool that they got a 22ft pipe and all this new stuff in the park, but the website totally blows... It hasn't been updated since last year! WTF!!! How is any non-local supposed to know what the deal is with this mountain! Yeah I'll drive in from NY, but I want to see some pics on the website and read the updates. I think I may have made their website in when I was in the 5th grade computer club on my apple IIc. I was at the Street Sessions at Union Square this week and some dude standing next to me was telling me about this mountain in PA that has a 22ft pipe. Great advertising! I hear Hunter, Camelback, and Boulder commercials at least once a day here, but no word on Sno. Maybe one of these years they can work a webmaster into their park budget to get the word out that they are up there in the park dept.! Anyway, enough complaining... I can't wait to check this place out! I'm super stoked. Is there any local park rat crews from sno with a website thats updated regularly?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one more thing santa, if you cut the 13 ft pipe every morning like youre supposed to, rain wouldnt have ruined it because it would be freshly cut. I dont think sno understands the amount of labor it takes to have a good park/pipe (im not saying i understand but i have a good picture). PC grooms each of their parks and cuts their pipe every morning, and it shows because they are arguably the best park in the U.S.. Sno is too lazy to put in that much effort into a park because they are trying to do to much at once. take baby steps, make a good park, then worry about a pipe because right now neither of them are up to par.

They need to make revenue from the waterpark first.

No offence to the new owners of sno, but their business plan seems out of whack. They're working on a waterpark when the mountain still needs some work. But hey, i didnt buy the mountain so nothing i can do about their plan

Just one more thing santa, if you cut the 13 ft pipe every morning like youre supposed to, rain wouldnt have ruined it because it would be freshly cut. I dont think sno understands the amount of labor it takes to have a good park/pipe (im not saying i understand but i have a good picture). PC grooms each of their parks and cuts their pipe every morning, and it shows because they are arguably the best park in the U.S.. Sno is too lazy to put in that much effort into a park because they are trying to do to much at once. take baby steps, make a good park, then worry about a pipe because right now neither of them are up to par.

Ok i'll try to explain it a little, The Zaugg which we all know, is an attachment for the cat (duh) but it has to be hooked up when it has to be used, right now there keeping it on one of our cats but it cant always have its own designated cat and it kinda takes some time to set up. grooming a park is a lot different then just grooming a trail, there is much much more time in grooming the takeoffs and landings and such and a very large amount of skill is required, now we have a couple guys who are learning how to do it, and from riding with one all night i can tell you first hand that it is a skill that has very many variables and a talent none the less. Just give it a chance man, think it about it this way man, "What if" your park becomes known all over the country for having the only 22ft pipe on the east coast, what if it does bring in the pros and does eventually live up to the hype, Just try to be optimistic guys give us a chance, i can see why you would be frustrated, but just try to look forward to what we may have in the near future.

Just try to be optimistic guys give us a chance, i can see why you would be frustrated, but just try to look forward to what we may have in the near future.

If they're the type to be frustrated this early in the Sno's ownership.. it's likely they're the type to never be pleased.

I'm still amazed at how patient you are with these guys.

the only reason im frustrated and impatient is because i have been so hyped about how good sno was gona be the past 2 seasons and ive been let down, i just want a good park soon or else im gona spend my 400$+ at boulder where i know i will have a great park everyday. I really want sno to be good and i hope they do become well known all over the country and the pros come in. If their plan is 5-10 years thought, i wont be in PA to see it considering i plan on being in Utah or Colorado for college in 5 years.

I'm confused why a 22 ft pipe is harder to ride than a 13? Maybe scarier, but the bigger the pipe (from what I've ridden) the easier.

DING DING .. you are correct.

Not that it matters I am still confused on this delivery date. Why so late in the season. It really doesn't look like it will be open and if it is - it will like get hurried and be of poor quality. That is a shit load of snow that they have to farm.

ANYWAYS..... Are there plans of grading it out of dirt this summer?

maybe nobody in the area knows how to hit a 22ft pipe BECAUSE THEY DIDNT HAVE ONE BEFORE!!! Think before you talk man...

YO! Santa, you need some more experience with park stuff, really.... and so you know.. The Park at SNO has sucked and is sucking and this is coming from people who have been there and who do know parks. so really....

22' pipe is nothing but better for the larger tranny for those who are skilled on an 18'..

What I need to know is the best guess for opening it. WHat is it looking like now for a date?

it will like get hurried and be of poor quality. That is a shit load of snow that they have to farm.

YO! Santa, you need some more experience with park stuff, really.... and so you know.. The Park at SNO has sucked and is sucking and this is coming from people who have been there and who do know parks. so really....

22' pipe is nothing but better for the larger tranny for those who are skilled on an 18'..

More from the know-it-all hater. It's gotta suck 'cause it isn't at BB. The park sucks 'cause you say so and you parrot all the little bitch complainers. Rob, how many hours of footage of preteen boys would you say you've accumulated? You don't ski park or pipe and I've seen you can't carve a turn. What is it that you're really up to? Just curious...

More from the know-it-all hater. It's gotta suck 'cause it isn't at BB. The park sucks 'cause you say so and you parrot all the little bitch complainers. Rob, how many hours of footage of preteen boys would you say you've accumulated? You don't ski park or pipe and I've seen you can't carve a turn. What is it that you're really up to? Just curious...

You really are an ass. I am a realist, no hate, I know what it takes to build a quality pipe. I don't have to name drop to you or anyone else for that matter, however I do lead a group of 300 members who are fiercy dedicated to see skier half pipe in 2010 - so please get over trying to degrade or downplay what I post.

I just posted another artcle on how many cat hours along with approximate dimensions that it took to build Mammoths' 22' pipe, last season. Even if SNO has 3 cats dedicated for 400 hours - it is going to take at least a week if three Cats work around the clock. if they don't farm the snow in, it going to be crappy quality. CB screwed up their 13' pipe last season because it was hurriedly shaped.

Key to a quality pipe is farming the snow. do you know what that is? 500 hrs of cat time is extremely expensive, especially when you consider that they are building it with out dirt grading. Copper Mountains pipe for the USFO took 3 weeks to build for example - there is a photo news article on their build if you want to learn somethin. The park builder from SnowPark NZ did the Copper cutting. I watched them every other night tweaking it for the USFO comp. If Sno does it quicker than the big boys with out an experienced operator(s), what do you think will happen?

I know the facts about pipe building, do you?

DING DING .. you are correct.

Not that it matters I am still confused on this delivery date. Why so late in the season. It really doesn't look like it will be open and if it is - it will like get hurried and be of poor quality. That is a shit load of snow that they have to farm.

ANYWAYS..... Are there plans of grading it out of dirt this summer?

What I need to know is the best guess for opening it. WHat is it looking like now for a date?

Ok Pappastleezy, if Sno's park sucks so much then why don't you just not come here, you don't come here anyway, You don't see me on boulders threads saying shit, just mind your business, and this thread is about the Zaugg, there's no need to attack me personally and since your did, Rumor has it that you locked your kid in your hummer for an hour because he didn't do a trick you told him to? Dude you take this way too seriously man.

Ohh, and when our snowmakers are ready to focus just on the park, it will only take about 4 days of constant snow making to get enough snow for the 22ft pipe, so that leaves us with plenty of time to cut it, and the planet guys will be doing the cutting for the pipe. We are planning on doing dirt work this summer.

Ok Pappastleezy, if Sno's park sucks so much then why don't you just not come here, you don't come here anyway, You don't see me on boulders threads saying shit, just mind your business, and this thread is about the Zaugg, there's no need to attack me personally and since your did, Rumor has it that you locked your kid in your hummer for an hour because he didn't do a trick you told him to? Dude you take this way too seriously man.

Ohh, and when our snowmakers are ready to focus just on the park, it will only take about 4 days of constant snow making to get enough snow for the 22ft pipe, so that leaves us with plenty of time to cut it, and the planet guys will be doing the cutting for the pipe. We are planning on doing dirt work this summer.

i'm really excited for this to happen. all the talk about it and then nothing happening made me a non-believer. but now that things are starting to happen i'm getting pretty stoked. i just need to find time/money to make it up there this year or next.... whenever it opens.

All we are sayyyyinngggg, is give peace a chance...

PS. Santa don't let yourself get wrapped up in the exchanges between Ski and Papa. Its not worth getting worked up about in the least, and it never looks good when an employee of the mountain is taking the bait and talking shit back.

Oh shit, this thread started off great, you guys actually got the cutters, some hater was pointing out that as demand decreases price goes up ( I hope you didn't take Econ 101 ), and that bigger pipes are too hard (count me in the group that can air out of an 18 and will be stoked for a 22 because it is easier )

But there is NO WAY you can make the snow in 4 days. If you think you can make the snow in 4 days, then it will suck. If you DO make the snow in 4 days it will suck. Having been a local at Creek through all the years of trials and tribulations with their Superpipe from planning to shitty execution to amazing execution to canning it, I saw every year that it took a minimum of 4 weeks to get it done. Mount Snow took a similiar time frame this year, and that was also for an 18 foot pipe.

Could you even make the snow you need in 4 days? Do you have any idea how much snow you are going to need? You need an area the size of the pipe, more than 22 foot deep, all the way across. More like 25 since obviously the middle needs some base. And you don't build the walls up and leave the middle empty, you make a solid block and carve the middle out. There is just no way to have any kind of consistancy with the snow otherwise. So how do you make that much snow? And Creek they had the two trails above the pipe and the pipe itself with monster fan guns running for huge amounts of time and they would push all that extra snow downhill (farming it). It has the advantage of getting a lot of the air out.

Then you have to let the snow settle for a few days, let the water drain out.

Then you have to kneed the snow just pushing it up and down and around for a few days, (Blue could use that, their pipe has so many air pockets). And then you finally start shaping the snow with a cat, and then finally you cut it, and then it takes a day to set. Oh and lets hope NO WHERE in that 3 week period is there bad weather because who knows what will happen.

And mind you, all of that was at Mountain Creek which was an 18' pipe, with dirt underneith instead of 100% snow, and with the pressure of a HUGE competition coming to down that had millions of dollars no the line, and they blew it and lost all of that becuase they couldn't get it done last year. It can just be impossible no matter how much you want to do it if the weather is bad.

Sno may be colder, but without dirt I would say it is an equally difficult challenge. At least they are grading it this summer, with that it will be possible to get it done every year after, but for this year, without dirt, you will be lucky as hell. It might happen but it will be entirely dependant on weather, you need a lot of snowmaking time, and a lot of time with a cat.

But next year, when that baby opens I'll make my first trip to Sno, and thats why they are building it, becuase nothing else they can do would make me drive 1.5 hours to Sno compared to 1 hour to Boulder,Camelback, Mountain Creek. No matter how good the free riding is, it is only 2 hours to Belleayre/Hunter/Windham, so I'd rather just head up that way. But a 22 foot pipe? Shit I would have to drive 4 hours to Mount Snow to get near a good pipe now that Creek gave up on theirs, I would drive to Sno for that.

All we are sayyyyinngggg, is give peace a chance...

PS. Santa don't let yourself get wrapped up in the exchanges between Ski and Papa. Its not worth getting worked up about in the least, and it never looks good when an employee of the mountain is taking the bait and talking shit back.

Excellent advice. :)

Guys this topic is all over the place... Let me try to help with some facts..

Everyone is saying a 22 is too big right? We only have a 13' pipe right now. We wanted to upgrade, so why go to an 18' pipe when we could of got the only 22' on the east. Does it cost alot to build a 22' ? Hell yes. Can we do it in 4 days? Hell no. Do we already have the snow stock piled and mostly pushed into place for one of the walls? Yes. Do we have 3 huge jumps sitting next to it that can be used for the walls ? Yes Was there dirt work done? Yes We couldnt get the walls built out of dirt but we graded the trail to perfection so we dont waste any snow that we dont have to. When construction resumes on the water park this summer it will produce fill that we can use for the dirt work on the walls of the 22'.

With this all said the summary is that we already started along time ago making snow for the 22' and if weather cooperates we will have it in less time than you would think becuase we are not starting from 0. Ryan guys will be teaching our guys how to build it. We are not as dumb as some people seem to think. We do have a plan and as some people have said " give us a chance" . No one believed us when we said we are getting a 22" We got bashed on here for saying it. Guess what? We came true with our promise. We are a young resort but we do know what we are doing. I hope some of these facts help out.

Edited by liftguy

Ok maybe i might of exaggerated a little about the making all the snow in 4 days it was something that i herd from somebody else and i shouldn't have said it. As for Pappa, I was a little pissed because of what you have been saying and you have to understand that from all the time i've been putting into this park i've grown to take it personally and from now on i will stay out of personal things in these posts, I do have to say one thing Pappa, i do think it is pretty awesome that you're trying your hardest to see that your son is the best he can possibly be and i'll admit that i'm a little jealous that i didn't have the opportunity that you're giving him, so for that i'll give you props... I'm hoping that we can end this feud man, When we have our pipe i hope your son can enjoy it, but until then just please be patient okay... So for all of this I am saying Sorry.