JF TR 2/29/08

Hey all,

I got home earlier from a great morning session at JF. I left here at 5:30 AM and got off the NE extension at 8:09. I know it was 8:09 because my wife called to ask me if I took a sick day, family sick day or personal day, because my Vice Principal called my house looking for my cell phone number. She asked people at work, but they all played dumb. Everyone who knows me knows that my business line which is very easy to remember rings directly to my cell phone after the 3rd ring. Anyway I took a personal day, so I was in the clear. It appears that the substitute went to the wrong room and did not find my student teacher, since she was in the right room. I called school and talked to my secretary and she solved the problem. Problem solved, so I started booting up when Kragan pulled in at about 8:20, we both managed to score spots in the first lot. On the way up I saw several cardboard box sleds traveling up the NE extension and new today was going to be a real shit show.

We hit the snow and worked our way over towards the East Mountain, lapping each trail twice. Conditions were perfect and the best I have experienced all season. When we hit the East Mountain it was in great shape. I started skiing JF in the 1980's and today the East Mountain was in its best form ever. We spent a couple hours lapping it and then worked our way back towards the center of the mountain. By 12 the place was turning in to a mess so we called it a day.

On the way out on the access road traffic was backed up to 940, I have never witnessed this before in my 25 plus years visiting the Poconos. The scene in the parking lot reminded me of when I attended IUP and used to go to Ground Hog Day in Punxatauney. Tons of tailgating and 90% of the people had no intention of skiing, just like 90% of the People have no intention of seeing the Ground Hog. I wish we could have stayed, but drinking 50 beers and driving home 160 miles would not set a good example for the younger members of PASR or Doug. We decided to do lunch at The Terra Cottage, I busted up a Monte Christo and KR had a short stack with fresh scrapple.

After lunch I drove through Briar Crest, where Barb lives and looked at a couple of places for sale. Me buying a place there in the near future, if my kids take to skiing is pretty much a definate. From there I headed to CB to get my board waxed and sharpened. The dude did it in less than 20 minutes and CB picked up the tab, as it was part of my gift package from the beginning of the season. I hit the road to come home at 2:00 and did not get home until after 6:00, because i got stuck in traffic.

I would like to thank:

Kragan for taking off work and skiing with me.

Ski for the advice on the new skis I just bought.

Kragan for being one of, if not the best dude on skis at JF today and getting me stoked to get back on the sticks.

Lauren, my student teacher for baby-sitting 5th graders while I was having fun.

The staff at my school for lying to my Vice Principal.

Craig from CB for hooking me with the free tune.

WMMR for the cheap ticket.

Edited by poconoceancity

Wow...awesome TR..you are a serious road warrier..Is there a direct route to the beach from Camelback or did you have to go back to the Northeast Extension?

I don't mind the ride up, but I'm getting sick of the ride home. When I was a weekend warrior, I would go up Fri., come back down on Sun. and I didn't mind it at all. No Direct route from CB to OC. 80 East, to 33 south, to 22 West, to NE south.

I don't mind the ride up, but I'm getting sick of the ride home. When I was a weekend warrior, I would go up Fri., come back down on Sun. and I didn't mind it at all. No Direct route from CB to OC. 80 East, to 33 south, to 22 West, to NE south.

Agree, its 80mi to JFBB from my house, 180+ from school and going up your stoked to get up there but the ride home is brutal, some times I have to pull over and nap because I get really tired and I'm usually driving home alone.

I agree that I HATE the drive home.

That's wht I started & thread back in the fall about getting a group together to share a house for the season

Too bad it didn't happen.

I didn't hit the slopes at JF till around 1pm and conditions were going south.

The WMMR carboard race was a lot of fun. Especiallt watching the 3 story cardboard reproduction of the "Liberty One" skyskraper building flying down the hill. That thing was HUGE. 20 ftx20ft?

It was unbelievable.

The lodge was packet. A lot of happy people' many of them drunk.

No attitudes or drama though. It was a good time and I stayed till AFTER 6pm.

TONIGHT WAS THE BEST NIGHT OF BOARDING I EVER HAD !!!!

It started snowing in the afternoon

and there was some accumulation.

Conditions were perfect and the jump landings were like pillows.

Crowds were minimal and the fireworks was a nice bonus too.

I can't wait to get the 1st chair at JF tomorrow!

...I can't wait to get the 1st chair at JF tomorrow!

You have an unlimited season pass, for first tracks at 7:30?

I didn't bother to go. I was exhausted from skiing four hours of powder at Bell on Thursday. When I woke up, it was also 0 degrees. Four hours of that on Thursday also beat me. I will be there in 7 hours and 45 minutes :yes

You have an unlimited season pass, for first tracks at 7:30?

I didn't bother to go. I was exhausted from skiing four hours of powder at Bell on Thursday. When I woke up, it was also 0 degrees. Four hours of that on Thursday also beat me. I will be there in 7 hours and 45 minutes :yes

It was cold, but with zero wind and a sunny sky all was good.

After lunch I drove through Briar Crest, where Barb lives and looked at a couple of places for sale. Me buying a place there in the near future, if my kids take to skiing is pretty much a definate.

i have a house in that neighborhood and i deffinatley suggest looking into getting a house in there. everyone is real friendly and its a really good neighborhood to have a vacation house in. Oh and if anything goes wrong with your house they're usually pretty good about calling you and letting you know.

My son and I got there around 9:15 and stayed till around 3:45... I've never seen so many people on a ski mountain in my life.. After the cardboard classic the sno chute was funny as hell with 1000 people all at once going down it... The liberty one was cool, but the double decker school bus with 18 people on it kicked ass.. My son made it down every trail for the first time ever so I was really stoked about that.. There was a LOT of icy spots and mad people but the lift lines really moved along well and we never had to wait more than a minute or two for a lift.. I think the most crowded thing at the mountain was the bar and the parking lot. All in all a great day...

Nice TR's guys...I'll just echo everyone else by saying it was the crazy busy. I saw the jam going down to 940 and I couldn't believe my eyes. Good for JFBB. I'm sure they made a killing even at 9.33 a ticket.

I think next year is going to be out of control. Once something like this gets rolling it just grows bigger and bigger every year.

Next year I'm going to get there early, ski till noon and then tailgate and watch the box sled thing.

That pretty much was our plan... just got off to a slower start than usual and intentionally skipped the beginning of the cardboard classic as the trails got super dead with everyone watching it...

i have a house in that neighborhood and i deffinatley suggest looking into getting a house in there. everyone is real friendly and its a really good neighborhood to have a vacation house in. Oh and if anything goes wrong with your house they're usually pretty good about calling you and letting you know.

I love the location and privacy of Brier Crest but as far as the people being friendly, I disagree. When we first got the place I took the kids to a few of the community "socials" and basically got snubbed and treated like shit by all the local ladies I tried to talk to. But I am not there to make freinds, just to take the kids skiing. The only friend I have there is the guy who plows the driveway and delivers the firewood, he is clutch.

They are not allowed to put for sale signs on the houses per the community rules. Check out century 21 or pocono resorts realty or just the pocono mls. If I see any interesting places for sale I will let you know. Then we can carpool next ski season (just kidding)

I love the location and privacy of Brier Crest but as far as the people being friendly, I disagree. When we first got the place I took the kids to a few of the community "socials" and basically got snubbed and treated like shit by all the local ladies I tried to talk to. But I am not there to make freinds, just to take the kids skiing. The only friend I have there is the guy who plows the driveway and delivers the firewood, he is clutch.

They are not allowed to put for sale signs on the houses per the community rules. Check out century 21 or pocono resorts realty or just the pocono mls. If I see any interesting places for sale I will let you know. Then we can carpool next ski season (just kidding)

weird. everyone is nice to our family. although we've had the house there for 20 years.

Don't worry Barb I already know 3 families that have homes in there, 4 including you. If I buy back there I'll throw a huge bash and we will snub all the local ladies with there 8th grade educations. :D

Don't worry Barb I already know 3 families that have homes in there, 4 including you. If I buy back there I'll throw a huge bash and we will snub all the local ladies with there 8th grade educations. :D

sounds good to me!

I should learn the proper use of "their" before making fun of the women of Briar Crest.

WMMR days are always a real crapshoot.

The first one in the season got rain this year and last year so

everyone gets drunk, wet, then quits skiing and goes into the bar. The bar smells like wet dogs.

BUT

this is not a bad thing...because then THEY ARE NOT in the lift line with me. More smooth sailing in the lift lines. (remember sking..... isn't that why we are here?)

I don't know about you but I drink when I get done , not when I ride on the slippery white slopes.

Then you have the February cardboard races that atract one hell of a party and why not....it is a lot of fun to just watch this

go down. February usally has real cold... teens... single digits...

so even with the WMMR ARMY camping on the tubing hill,

I wasn't really bothered by crowds in the lift lines...

I still got my 30 runs in on Friday.

There was no more of a wait with WMMR people than we had Presidents day weekend.

Hey did anyone see the accident in the terrain park around 9:30 AM? A skier went off a jump and landed on some snowboards in the blind spot? By the way, that skier was me. I'd like if someone could explain to me what happened as I hardly remember anything from that day. I was apparently taken down on a toboggan, then medi-vac'd to LV hospital with a server concussion and a fractured left humorous.

I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER THE HELI RIDE. So I some one could fill me in, that would be great. And yes, I was wearing a helmet, and you should too. It probably saved my life.

~PS Vicodin is some pretty intense stuff.

Hey did anyone see the accident in the terrain park around 9:30 AM? A skier went off a jump and landed on some snowboards in the blind spot? By the way, that skier was me. I'd like if someone could explain to me what happened as I hardly remember anything from that day. I was apparently taken down on a toboggan, then medi-vac'd to LV hospital with a server concussion and a fractured left humorous.

I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER THE HELI RIDE. So I some one could fill me in, that would be great. And yes, I was wearing a helmet, and you should too. It probably saved my life.

~PS Vicodin is some pretty intense stuff.

We were on te East Mountain and heard the Medi-Vac. Glad to hear you are alright.