Split Board

nick malozzi

I posted a topic about picking up some teleskis earlier in the year, because I want to start hitting up the backcountry out here. After actually holding a few pairs of skis mounted and in a size appropriate to me I decided you skiers are out of your lids. One fatter ski practically weighs as much as my entire set up. I also then put on a pair of ski boots for the first time in my life, and I am certain that you guys are nuts.

In addition, Glenn has gotten me addicted to powder by taking me into the trees and side country all season. I seriously have very little interest in park riding anymore (anybody want to buy an 06 154 Burton Dominant with about 15days on it, haha?).

So I've been researching split boards, and I think I'm going to pick one up. I'm planning on taking my avalanche safety classes before next season starts up. I know that many PA guys probably don't have too much experience with split boards, but if you do please post any opinions or anything of that nature up.

I found a used Burton S Series Split Snowboard, with a Voile Split Decision Kit, and Voile SD Tractor Skins. All in fairly new condition (the board looks flawless in pics). The whole set up is $700, and that seems like a pretty killer deal.

Lets get some tele/splitboard talk going here. Some backcountry stoke in the off season!

Edited by nick malozzi

Only thing i really know is that Never Summer makes the best splits around. Everyone i hear that has one raves about it. But unfortunately they run fairly expensive. They don't advertise them at all, you have to call up the factory and place a special order, and they have a guy that makes them in house.

Only thing i really know is that Never Summer makes the best splits around. Everyone i hear that has one raves about it. But unfortunately they run fairly expensive. They don't advertise them at all, you have to call up the factory and place a special order, and they have a guy that makes them in house.

Yea, I heard you can call them and pretty much they will make any of their boards into a split. I don't have the cash to buy any board as of right now. So I think if that Burton I was talking about isn't still around when I can afford it I may give NS a call.

aren't they at least $900? i still dont really get how they work...it splits into two for easy hiking, and then can be ridden down as a snowboard?

yea they are pricey...

that is pretty much how they work dead on, haha.

http://www.splitboard.com is the best resource I have found on how they work.

The never summer boards i think are pushing 1300 if i remember correctly.

And Yes splitboard.com is an awesome site. The guy who runs that site is a super nice dude.

Edited by Dan-

The never summer boards i think are pushing 1300 if i remember correctly.

From what I can tell they will split any of their boards and toss the Voile Split Decision Kit on for the price of the board +500. I can't seem to find out though if that includes skins and crampons. Cause that would get quite expensive once you factor in polls, probes, shovel, and beacon.

Edited by nick malozzi

and skiers are nuts?!?!? sounds like a major pita

Not as much of a PITA as learning how to ski, when I can already ride pretty well, haha.

Plus if I got a pair of teles I'd be buying boots, bindings, and skis. With a split board I can use my existing boots and bindings.

Edited by nick malozzi

I posted a topic about picking up some teleskis earlier in the year, because I want to start hitting up the backcountry out here. After actually holding a few pairs of skis mounted and in a size appropriate to me I decided you skiers are out of your lids. One fatter ski practically weighs as much as my entire set up. I also then put on a pair of ski boots for the first time in my life, and I am certain that you guys are nuts.

In addition, Glenn has gotten me addicted to powder by taking me into the trees and side country all season. I seriously have very little interest in park riding anymore (anybody want to buy an 06 154 Burton Dominant with about 15days on it, haha?).

So I've been researching split boards, and I think I'm going to pick one up. I'm planning on taking my avalanche safety classes before next season starts up. I know that many PA guys probably don't have too much experience with split boards, but if you do please post any opinions or anything of that nature up.

I found a used Burton S Series Split Snowboard, with a Voile Split Decision Kit, and Voile SD Tractor Skins. All in fairly new condition (the board looks flawless in pics). The whole set up is $700, and that seems like a pretty killer deal.

Lets get some tele/splitboard talk going here. Some backcountry stoke in the off season!

Uhh tele only good for the worst part of the BC, going up.

I used to ride park all the time to and then you get to some real mountains with real snow and it just doesn't seem as fun. The adventure aspect of the BC is just so much better.

I don't know a ton of stuff about splits as I don't really snowboard but I know a bunch of guys who do. Take a look at Prior stuff. Sometimes they have demo splitboards for sale on their site, as well as blems normally they go on sale around October. Though the split kit isn't a bad idea, I heard it is hard to do though and if your in icy conditions people have been known to have problems getting them back together. Are you going soft for pow pow or hard for everything else ?

Crampon wise the Grivel G10W will work with all boots including the softs, I know its CO and crampons may seem unnecessary but trust me you will want them eventually.

Skin wise your good the Tractors are supposed to be the best. Stay away from the ones Burton made they peel back.

Beacon wise watch out if you buy and S1 and use your phone alot, the phone will cause ghost signals and if you have a Iphone it can really screw with the beacon.

If you want a beacon that is relatively

Uhh tele only good for the worst part of the BC, going up.

Eh, i dunno, i've always dug how it looked to drop a knee through a turn. i don't want to have to learn how to ski though.

Take a look at Prior stuff. Sometimes they have demo splitboards for sale on their site, as well as blems normally they go on sale around October. Though the split kit isn't a bad idea, I heard it is hard to do though and if your in icy conditions people have been known to have problems getting them back together. Are you going soft for pow pow or hard for everything else ?

I was reading the reviews on the Prior stuff, and they seem pretty solid the Khyber seems pretty sick.

Crampon wise the Grivel G10W will work with all boots including the softs, I know its CO and crampons may seem unnecessary but trust me you will want them eventually.

Yea, dude Grivel is one of my favorite companies. Their axes are so sick looking. I have no idea how they perform as I haven't gotten into ice climbing just yet, but I grip those bad boys up at every shop I see them in, haha.

Skin wise your good the Tractors are supposed to be the best. Stay away from the ones Burton made they peel back.

From what I've been reading the only thing Burton did an all right job of in the Split Board realm was the boards. They have quit making the plates/bindings/etc.

Beacon wise watch out if you buy and S1 and use your phone alot, the phone will cause ghost signals and if you have a Iphone it can really screw with the beacon.

If you want a beacon that is relatively

I just found out that the REI in Boulder sells Prior Split Boards. I'm so buying one there then. I can't wait to see my REI dividend check next year, especially since I just applied for the REI Visa. So I get 5% of every REI purchase and 1% and other time I use it. At the rate I've been buying gear there I'm gonna have a couple hundred to burn at the Co-op sale!

Wow, JL, you gave me another 5 reasons to avoid BC, lol.

Dosen't living in Philadelphia, PA give you enough reason? haha

Edited by nick malozzi

I just found out that the REI in Boulder sells Prior Split Boards. I'm so buying one there then. I can't wait to see my REI dividend check next year, especially since I just applied for the REI Visa. So I get 5% of every REI purchase and 1% and other time I use it. At the rate I've been buying gear there I'm gonna have a couple hundred to burn at the Co-op sale!

Dosen't living in Philadelphia, PA give you enough reason? haha

HAHA! True, but it makes me appreciate ski country that much more when I get away from here.

i dont know whats going on

in my first post i mentioned that i thought skiers were nuts because a fat ski in my size mounted practically weighs as much as my entire snowboard set up, and that ski boots are nuts.

i believe he was calling me nuts for wanting to buy a 1000+ dollar snowboard and all the avy gear.

i believe he was calling me nuts for wanting to buy a 1000+ dollar snowboard and all the avy gear.

nah, our sports come at a premium for sure and the avvy toys sound kinda cool, i just hate messin around with equipment, i just like to click and go! one of the things that turned me of of boarding was the sit and buckle thing, i can't imagine putting a board together on the ede of a cliff or cornice!