SLC

ectobar

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking into a SLC trip to Snowbird mid Jan.

Anyone ever been and care to give me some recommendations on where to stay?

Additionally, I've read the UTA goes to Snowbird, is that correct? I didnt see anything on their site. Cost?

Stay in SLC so you can hit multiple resorts if a particular canyon road gets closed. Personally I like the Embassy Suites (Big rooms) and the Little America (Cheap) but most of them in the 600 south area are fine.

UTA goes to all of the resorts in BCC and LCC, if your going from SLC you take a surface train to bus transfer station near Sandy and then to the Canyon of your choice. The buses are plentiful in SLC but will be totally full by the time you reach the park and ride lots just outside the canyons. The bus can be ungodly slow depending on the driver you get and you may have to wait at closing time to get on a bus that isn't packed, it doesn't really matter though because you aren't going anywhere anyways. Cost round trip last time I did it was like 6 bucks. Honestly if you can, rent a car as UTA is slow as balls. 20-30 mins in a car is a lot better than an hour 30 in a bus.

If you don't look like a pedophile you can also bum rides up and down the canyons, etiquette dictates that you must pick people up if you have room so you probably won't have to wait too long. I've never waited more than a minute at the 9'oclock rush.

Snowbird is the shit but check out some of the BCC mountains too, you will probably be too slow trying to find your way around to really hit the good shit before it gets tracked out. Snowbird/Alta are the fastest tracked out mountains I've ever seen. Don't go to Park City, you didn't travel 2,000 miles to ride at a large Killington.

Lastly and most importantly don't eat the cheese steaks at the bird, they cost like 8 bucks and are some of the worst things I ever experienced.

Edited by Johnny Law

BCC and LCC stand for what? Never been to Utah...

Only reason I was planning on taking the UTA was to cut down on car rental costs. But as it seems that's not the most time efficient option and I may have more people joining me now, a car might just have to be in the mix.

Hows the nightlife, is there any?

BCC and LCC stand for what? Never been to Utah...

Only reason I was planning on taking the UTA was to cut down on car rental costs. But as it seems that's not the most time efficient option and I may have more people joining me now, a car might just have to be in the mix.

BCC = Big Cotton Wood Canyon.

LCC = Little Cotton Wood Canyon.

Going on Google Maps and just look up Solitude, Alta, Brighton, Snowbird, and you will get a feel for their locations. The neighborhoods in SLC near there are Sandy/Midvale. I've been told staying on Ft Union Blvd in Sandy is the way to go, and I have a list of hotels somewhere but I don't have it at the moment.

I'm deciding between Park City and the BCC/LCC stuff myself, and if it were only about skiing I would go BCC/LCC in a heartbeat but for a more rounded trip Park City has the nicer town.

Looking into a SLC trip to Snowbird mid Jan.

Anyone ever been and care to give me some recommendations on where to stay?

Additionally, I've read the UTA goes to Snowbird, is that correct? I didnt see anything on their site. Cost?

Three seasons ago I booked accomodations through Wasatch Front Ski Accomodations. wsfa.com They had condos located at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon and the Little Cottonwood Canyon. Very reasonable and nice people to deal with. There was a ski shop that sold discount tickets within a couple of blocks. We rented a car (AWD Subby) and the drive up either canyon from the condo took maybe 15-20 mins. (unless you got behind a bus). If you have a group of people the condos are great to stay in. I've also found that Vacation Rentals By Owners vrbo.com is a great source for condo rentals and are cheaper than going through a realtor. Hope this helps. Night Life in Utah?? Pretty scarce and the beer is/was 3.2%.

Edited by rummy

The only nightlife worth considering is in Park City, there are some bars / clubs in downtown SLC but they are nothing to get exited about. If you are really looking for nightlife then why go to Utah?

I agree 100% with what someone said earlier about PC, you can have a great day there but the LCC/BCC resorts are so much better.

I've been every year for the past 3, and usually hire a car, stay in Sandy (lots of reasonable hotels and near canyon sports for cheap tickets), for this year I will only be doing Brighton, Snowbird, maybe solitude and taking one "long" trip to either snowbasin or powder mtn.

Don't believe the BS there is plenty to get wasted on. Harry O's in PC is the best for debauchery, Duffy's is good to get drunk on the cheap, Lumpy's (both of them) are good sports bars, Port o' Call is really good too, Habit's apparently was the place to hook up but I was never there, Shaggy's is fun, Depot is good.

There are a butt ton of places, ask around and have a good time. Lot of house parties too.

Here's the deal on booze in UT.

3.2 beer is grocery store only, liquor store/bar is just like everywhere else. You can drink with no membership if your eating otherwise you have to purchase a "membership". 5 or 10 bucks for the week done deal, its kinda like a cover charge everywhere else.

No drinks on the dance floor - fucking weird but whatever

If you want to get drunk in UT and aren't a complete idiot its just as easy as in PA

SLC is now 40/45% non mormon and it isn't the 1820's its not hard to have a good night in SLC.

P.S. There is a Brazilian meat place down by the mall that kicks ass, the only time I was there I was completely out of my gourd so I can't give you any more info but find it and eat there.

If you are really looking for nightlife then why go to Utah?

Not really going for nightlife at all. Just thought I'd see what the deal is. I'm sure I'd be able to find a good time, doesnt hurt to ask some opinions first though.

Thanks for all the info. Now I just have to pull the trigger and actually start making some reservations.

Don't believe the BS there is plenty to get wasted on. Harry O's in PC is the best for debauchery, Duffy's is good to get drunk on the cheap, Lumpy's (both of them) are good sports bars, Port o' Call is really good too, Habit's apparently was the place to hook up but I was never there, Shaggy's is fun, Depot is good.

There are a butt ton of places, ask around and have a good time. Lot of house parties too.

Here's the deal on booze in UT.

3.2 beer is grocery store only, liquor store/bar is just like everywhere else. You can drink with no membership if your eating otherwise you have to purchase a "membership". 5 or 10 bucks for the week done deal, its kinda like a cover charge everywhere else.

No drinks on the dance floor - fucking weird but whatever

If you want to get drunk in UT and aren't a complete idiot its just as easy as in PA

SLC is now 40/45% non mormon and it isn't the 1820's its not hard to have a good night in SLC.

P.S. There is a Brazilian meat place down by the mall that kicks ass, the only time I was there I was completely out of my gourd so I can't give you any more info but find it and eat there.

Thanks for the good info on bars.

I'm goin to one in Philly tomorrow night. Best place to eat in the northeast.

Care to enlighten?

Don't know that it was all wrong but everywhere we wen't if they sold alcohol you needed to be a member, (usually $5-10 as stated, someplaces in PC were free, go figure), best example would be Molly Green's at Brighton, $5 membership (only for the person paying) for the weekend even if you were buying food with your beer.

Either way, none of this should put anyone off of going to SLC, the resorts are great. I can't wait to get back out there.

Going back to the original question, if you mostly think you will be heading to snowbird and you are renting a car, then stay in Sandy you will be close to Canyon Sports for tickets and you are closest to the mouth of the canyon. Midvale or Downtown might be better if you are going to spread your visits around a bit more.

There are a couple of decent hotels (Holiday inn, used to be comfort suites) within walking distance of canyon sports which makes your "out the door time" in the morning very quick.

If you are only going to snowbird then check out there on-resort deals, they have some good offers.

this is pretty much all wrong

Did I fuck up the location of the Brazilian joint ?

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor_Laws/...g_visitors.html

BTW is the Mongolian joint still around ? It wasn't looking good last time I stopped by.

I'm goin to one in Philly tomorrow night. Best place to eat in the northeast.

That's perfect, I didn't know there was one in the NE.

Whats the name of place ?

I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Did I fuck up the location of the Brazilian joint ?

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor_Laws/...g_visitors.html

BTW is the Mongolian joint still around ? It wasn't looking good last time I stopped by.

There is one in Manhattan too, forgot the name though.

Picanha Brazilian Grill

6501 Castor Ave. 215.743.4647

Awesome joint. It is BYOB so take your own cachaca to have them make you caparinhas. Whenever futbol is on they always have it on the big screen, a real fun place to go during world cup games. People who own it are super nice. We've closed the place down a few times and we usually share whatever beers we have left with the servers and cooks. Also, it is the best deal I've found for rodizio at $20, or you can go by weight. Even the place up by my girlfriends house in Nazareth, PA is more expensive. I haven't had a bad meal there yet. I'll be there tonight!

To get back to the thread, I like Salt Lake a lot. When I'm on ski trips I'm usually pretty burned out from riding so I'll admit I usually don't close down clubs or bars. I've always found good bars to hang out at with decent beer, and thats all I need. The thing that made Salt Lake legit was the biggest party coming into town for a few weeks, the Olympics. The amount of new establishments that opened in Salt Lake prior to the Olympics was insane. A lot of standards or traditions were relaxed for the Olympics visitors, and in many cases kind of just stayed that way because the Olympics were so successful. Add that to what someone else said about an increasing number of non-Mormons in Salt Lake now, and know that while it is no Whistler, it is definitely better than the perception that a lot of people have of it.

How does getting tickets at Canyon Sports go down? Can I get a multi day pass there, or is it just a they get so many tickets per day type thing?

I'm going to get 4 days of riding and was planning on just sticking to Snowbird since everything I've heard about it says its huge and diverse. Are solitude/brighton places I should really consider giving some attention, or will Snowbird keep me plenty busy for 4 days?

Snowbird will keep you busy, but it is real fun to check out some of the other spots. Brighton is well known for its smaller mountain vibe, but still has plenty of fun lines and a fun vibe.

Solitude has been a big favorite of mine in recent years. That mountain rides huge, and there are lots of things that will get you into trouble if you want it. Add that to the fact that no one goes there, and its a great time. If I could go anywhere in Utah after a dump it might be Solitude just because I've never skied it while it is dumping.

Edited by T*Maki

Care to enlighten?

There are plenty of bars that don't require a membership, beer served at 95% of bars is 3.2% unless you are buying cans at a place that has a special licence, all shots and mixed drinks in Utah are 1 oz of alcohol measured by a clicker placed on each bottle but the prices are still the same, it's a felony to have a keg without a licence, the only place you can get non-3.2% beer, alcohol, or wine outside of bars is state liquor stores that close at 9PM (10 on Friday and Saturday) and are closed on Sunday, and I've never seen anyone hassled for having a drink on a dancefloor.

Not that any of this really matters but I figure I'd set the record straight.

Utah is great , you will like it a lot. I second checking out other resorts besides Snowbird, its fun but I had a better time at Brighton and Snowbasin. Brighton was my favorite, lift tickets are cheap and lots of great riding. I am probably going back this year and want to hit Brighton, Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. Stay in SLC and rent a car like everyone else said.