How to take the bus from Philly to JFBB

Robert2

There's been some car pool banter so I figured I'd throw this out there.

MARTZ bus line leaves the greyhound bus station at 10th & Filbert at 11AM

and drops off at Route 940 and 476 Mcdonalds at exit 95 off the turnpike.

Round trip ticket is $56.

Local cab service is called Jim Thorpe Taxi (570) 325-5466

which charges $3 to get in the cab plus $1.75 a mile.

Mcdonalds is 6 miles from JF.

MArtz returning to Philly daily is 1:45 pm and on Fridays and Sundays is 4:50 PM

so I don't see any way to day trip this in just one day.

There are local motels withing 5 miles of JF and BB.

$200 should cover transportation and one night stay.

wow that is totally not worth it. i'd ride with some random long before dropping 200 to ski JF before lift tickets.

Sometimes renting a car is not an option. Some people don't drive.

Sometimes timing is no good for car pooling.

But

if you really want to get here Saturday and have $200 to blow on the hotel and transportation

you WILL get to ski a night at BB and a day at JF and still make it to the bus home on Sunday afternoon back to Philly.

$200 is a lot cheaper than trying to get to play at other ski areas.

When I tried to get to Vermont and out west this year I found transportation and

hotel costs to be way over $1000.

I'm something like any 15 year old kid.

I don't drive so I have to figure out how to get around and not depend on anybody else

to make sure it works out for me.

Just to get from an airport to a ski resort can cost $200.

I would just drive and need be crash at the knights inn on 940 right by 940 snowboards....we payed $50/night for a three bed room

That Knights Inn is 3 miles up 940 from the MARTZ bus stop at McDonalds.

So one night and transportation could be done for less than $150.

Could be down to $100 if you split the room cost 3 ways.

I was exaggerating..anyway Robert..you should be happy you live nearby so you don't have to take a bus from Philly. I wish things were like in Europe where there are trains going everywhere.

Oh...exaggerating ...

OK

I thought someone had a good lead on some travelocity gnome deal or something.

Not sure how easy it is for you to access amtrak but they have pretty good prices headed into fraser. The schedules might be kind of screwy on the weekends because of the ski train though. The bus we take getting back from the 40 runs to-from fraser.

I would just drive and need be crash at the knights inn on 940 right by 940 snowboards....we payed $50/night for a three bed room

I'm down with splitting these rooms with you , Dennis, or anyone else on here almost every weekend this season. I'd even pay extra for my own bedroom.

Robert-

Don't sweat getting a ride to JFBB. We'll get you covered. I put together 2 groups this weekend and it's only the beginning. We should have cars going to JFBB every weekend and we have 2 vans headed to Vermont in December. Shoot me a PM with your contact information and I will keep you posted. I usually don't drive through center city, but I don't mind making a stop to pick people up.

Edited by TT C6

I'm down with splitting these rooms with you , Dennis, or anyone else on here almost every weekend this season. I'd even pay extra for my own bedroom.

I'll let you know next time we do it, that place is mad cheap so its probably gonna happen again sometime soon

Robert-

Don't sweat getting a ride to JFBB. We'll get you covered. I put together 2 groups this weekend and it's only the beginning. We should have cars going to JFBB every weekend and we have 2 vans headed to Vermont in December. Shoot me a PM with your contact information and I will keep you posted. I usually don't drive through center city, but I don't mind making a stop to pick people up.

I don't think Robert lives in the city.. I think he was just offering up an idea for those that can't drive and need a way to get to JF/BB on how they could do it if in a desperate situation. I may be wrong here, but thought he said he took the bus from Jim Thorpe - JF in a different thread before..

Robert-

No thank you. I don't need a ride. I Live near BB JF now and I ride the Timmy bus to JF daily weekdays.

I posted this MARTZ bus info because I figured somebody may be screwed for a ride some day

and nobody really shows how to pull this off with public transportation.

I take buses to Philly a few times a year.

We just started having cab service in Jim Thorpe last year that cover the

Split Rock, BB, JF ...Blakeslee.. area.

Without the cab service you could not really do BB or JF without a car.

Which meant you couldn't do it by bus if the closest you could land here was 6 miles from JF with no hope of seeing the slopes.

Once we got cab service the game changed.

You can get near here by bus then take the taxi for 10 minutes.

Its snowing real heavy now in Jim Thorpe.

Edited by Robert2

Its snowing real heavy now in Jim Thorpe.

NICE!

Whenever we needed a ride to a bar when we were stuck at a ski resort with no taxis, I'd call the local pizza place and order a pizza for delivery. When it got there, I paid the driver to take us to the bar. (even if it took multiple trips for him) Yes, it's true. The last time I did it was at Okemo. :)