Snowaking Update

BC-Mark

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks dudee

Heres some tips for you.

The 850mb line to watch is the 0 line. That is where it will be below freezing in the upper levels of the atmosphere. At the 500mb level, the 540 line is typically a good indication of the rain snow line. On the precip maps.. remember that the fallen precipitation is from the PREVIOUS amount of time (3-6-9-12 hrs). There's more but those are some basics. Like i said, google.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/

I suggest you also google a little reading on understanding what these models do. It will help you to understand the output better. That said.. here's what I'm seeing

Sunday's storm will be more freezing rain that anything. Sucks cause its going to ruin some good conditions..

Wednesday's also looks more liquid.. the storm track is way too far inland. That said.. the period from the 13th on looks nice.. with a Alberta Clipper system about every 36 hours.

Wish i had better news

wow your a pro... so you think you can do like a bidaily update for the weather?

Ed Hanna would be jelous hahaha

Edited by sanchezzz

wow your a pro... so you think you can do like a bidaily update for the weather?

Ed Hanna would be jelous hahaha

If you guys want it.. I can do it. I don't know about twice daily... but i can try for every day. i'm not a meteorologist (wanted to be when i was a kid tho), but i can give it a shot when theres snow

Good news though.. it looks like Sunday night/Monday looks to be little more than just showers/lighter rain, probably no more than a quarter inch. Nothing BC can't handle. It will warm up though.. so no snowmaking tomorrow night (oh well, we've had a good run). Monday night looks promising for snowmaking..

Wednesday could be a real problem --- right now the GFS shows a lot of warm air being pulled up cause the low pressure passes to the west of us. For snow here.. you want these storms to run about 100 or so miles off the coast of Jersey. That's not happening here yet.. and the energy transfer -- where the low pressure to our west dies out and transfers its energy to the coast happens way too late for us and we get a good deal of rain. (did that make sense -- you've probably heard Ed Hanna talk about this lol?)

After that the model looks to be suggesting the coldest weather of the season so far.. we're talking 20s for highs and single digits for lows for the middle of next week..but thats far in the future.

Overall, save for maybe 4 days or so over the next 2 weeks BC and others should be able to make snow nightly. Too bad we just can't get any of the real shit. Eh, this is better than nothing..

The past few nights of snowmaking have yielded some great conditions and I would expect today to be no different.

We have a few marginal nights coming up but after Wednesday we look great again for the remainder of the forecast period.

post-791-1231075843_thumb.jpg

The past few nights of snowmaking have yielded some great conditions and I would expect today to be no different.

We have a few marginal nights coming up but after Wednesday we look great again for the remainder of the forecast period.

Nice Mark -

Great job! I'm a newb.. but trust me when i say the conditions lately have been very good to learn on.. you're doing great work.

FWIW guys... things are looking up for some type of snow event for Saturday.. not real big but it has the potential to be the first significant -- but not heavy -- snow of the season down here. This is the storm that will usher in the real cold stuff and a reinforcing shot in the Tuesday/Wednesday time frame (with more lighter snows) and again sometime late next week with another bout of lighter snow.. cross your fingers...

We had a good night of snowmaking last night and should get great production tonight as well.

Hopefully we will get real snow tomorrow to add to our own home grown. The remainder of the 10 day looks excellent.

I would highly recommended skipping out on all your obligations next week to come enjoy the great conditions during the day when the slopes are relatively empty and the snow is fresh!

Great production last night and we have natural snow falling as I write! The snow is supposed to pick-up throughout the day and we are forecast to get 4" to 6" of natural snow by tomorrow morning.

We will not be making snow tonight but will be pounding the mountain Sunday night. The park crew will be rebuilding Cascade park Monday morning and fine tuning it Monday night so we will not be making snow Monday night. The remainder of the week looks like great conditions to bury every trail!

post-791-1231595090_thumb.jpg

sickk.. cant wait..

Great conditions tonight.. little if any ice (a little slow obviously due to the fresh stuff). A shame we got a little freezing rain at the end there of this storm. Oh well.. more real stuff mon night/tue and wed night/thursday.. then the coldest weather in about a decade.. highs in the mid teens and lows near zero even down here for a couple days. Its gonna be a fun week!!

What's the word, was snow made last night?

Nope.. that i didn't understand at all.. it was more than cold enough. and the real stuff fizzled out.. i hope they make snow tonight.. the hill needs some fresh stuff.. fake stuff will have to do.. pray we get something substantial Saturday into Sunday...