Snowaking Update

BC-Mark

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no hes saying that PA has ALWAYS been like that. not just the past couple of years

Gosh i'm stupid...

But Like three years ago we had a couple snowfalls that were like 1 to 2 feet snowfall.. its just the last two years that were SUPER warm during early january, and last year only like 5 inches all year.... ....or maybe its just were I live :angry:

But i guess PA does have crappy winter weather...

looks like they didnt have to stop early... they still had them on a few minutes ago... i think now there turning them off

I thought they said they were trying to keep them on till this afternoon? :huh: guess the weather got warming then they'd expected.

is there going to be anything else added to the parks by thursday

I doubt it, because there calling for rain tonight and tomorrow...

I would only expect new park features by this weekend.. when they can add some more snow..

PA weather is very fickle, and Bear Creek is in the worst spot for it down in Southeast PA. Every now and then we get a very good winter, but snow is more the exception than the rule most of the time.

Ya i know, but i love there tarrain park, and its the closest resort to me... :rolleyes:

This rain is a killer! We had plenty of snow stockpiled to open 100% of our trails on Friday assuming the rain did a normal amount of damage.

This rain is exceptionally warm and we have had nearly 1" as of 1:30PM. We still have big piles out there but they are going faster than we could have imagined.

Right now, Thursday night snowmaking seems out of the question with rain in the forecast from 10am Thursday to 3am Friday.

We are hoping the Friday/Saturday forecast does not change and plan on making snow for as much of that time period as possible.

We also anticipate reopening Friday morning but please check back for updates.

In the meantime, I will try to keep myself from jumping off a lift tower!

This rain is a killer! We had plenty of snow stockpiled to open 100% of our trails on Friday assuming the rain did a normal amount of damage.

This rain is exceptionally warm and we have had nearly 1" as of 1:30PM. We still have big piles out there but they are going faster than we could have imagined.

Right now, Thursday night snowmaking seems out of the question with rain in the forecast from 10am Thursday to 3am Friday.

We are hoping the Friday/Saturday forecast does not change and plan on making snow for as much of that time period as possible.

We also anticipate reopening Friday morning but please check back for updates.

In the meantime, I will try to keep myself from jumping off a lift tower!

Thats awful.

Mark I'm not looking for the number, but is it possible for you to quantify how much snow is lost after a storm in volume or dollar amount? I always wonder at what point is it cost effective to do something to actively protect the snow from rain events. I was thinking something along the lines of a baseball tarp unrolled over whales prior to them being groomed out during this time of year. It would be a lot of labor costs, but at some point it might break even.

I feel ya mark... well i dont think completely.. but man. lets hope this works out! the weather keeps pulling a fast one. :-(

and ya i think we should just make a huge dome over bear creek and have it open all year!. haaha ya right!

i'm liking this dome idea. bake sale? i'll make brownies.

don't worry mark, we love you and BC no matter what stupid mess the weather pulls. hang in there.

That is a good question. Each 24 hour session costs us about $16,000 in labor and electric. That figure does not account for any other equipment costs, fuel for the snowmobiles and cats or depreciation on capital purchases.

Over a 24 hour period with a 24F wetbulb, we can make approximately 57 acre feet of snow (enough snow to cover 57 acres with 1 foot of snow).

I would estimate that we will lose approximately 60 to 80 acre feet of snow from today's rain. This is on the high end for winter rain events due to the relatively high temperature of the rain and the air and the extended duration of the event.

Using 80 acre feet as our loss estimate, we will lose $22,456 in snow today. This does not account for lost revenue as a result of the closure which could be considerable.

I have not investigated the cost of tarps to cover a trail or piles, but tarps to cover the magic carpets in the summer, 700' x 5', ran about $3,000 each. Our average trail width here is nearly 300' so you can see that this could add up pretty quick. The other issue would be storage and the logistics of deploying the tarps in a timely manner. I am definitly open to suggestions if anyone has ideas.

i'm liking this dome idea. bake sale? i'll make brownies.

"I make a mean toadstool sandwhich!" I'm in!

And OMW mark! i'm so sad about the loss of money, even more then i'm sad about how i can't shred :(

but like ket said, we'll stick with ya! i'll keep buying those season passes to make sure you keep Making money! :P