Snowaking Update

BC-Mark

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using tarps to protect snow and glaciers is pretty common in Europe these days, http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1266299,00.html .Say what you want about global warming,either natural or man-made,we are definitely in or possibly near the end of a warmer cycle.For sure cutting down all the forests/rain forests and polluting as much as we do is not good for nature or man either way.

I would envision a system where your white/reflective tarp would be stored on a roll,just like you see carpet for sale at Lowes on those big rolls.You could then use a snow cat to pull the tarp up,down or across the slopes.Another idea that would need some thought would be using something like Snow Gel on a grand scale, http://www.backyardterrainpark.com/3b-snow...ming-green.html ,along with carpet.Or just using Neveplast (dry) on all your slopes.

The ultimate form of snow protection would be something like the hard chocolate coating on a ice cream sundae.Something that you could spray on with a snow gun or spread around with a cat that would be water activated and form a hard layer of protection for your snow cover/base.Obviously this has yet to be invented,but maybe sometime in the future?

Edited by YummerzZz

The weather looks like they will be able to get some good snow making in tonight and tomarrow. Hopefully they blow most of the day saturday, even though it sucks riding with the guns on. I would just like to have enough snow on the ground to last through next week too.

The weather looks like they will be able to get some good snow making in tonight and tomarrow. Hopefully they blow most of the day saturday, even though it sucks riding with the guns on. I would just like to have enough snow on the ground to last through next week too.

i dont mind riding while there blowing snow so much.. it kinda gets annoying cuz when yo ugo inside your all stiff and you have to melt all the ice... but if you got the right gear its not much colder or anything...

But ideal would be without them on :rolleyes:

I'll ride in blowing snow ALL day if it means they'll be open all week next week.. gosh this winter isn't cooperating already!

yeah they are.. opening today with 9 out of 21 trails open is not bad at all considering the storm we had... with the snow they got down today any ideas if anything else will be open tommorow?

black bear should be open tomorrow, not sure with what, bu either way it should be fun.

Its in the 60s in Philly right now. I have my window open and t-shirt on and I feel quite comfortable.

ya its around there here in lancaster... i got a beater on.. and i'm fine.. :-\

i heard that its gunna be down to the mid twenties tonight though.. is that true? will they be able to snowmake tonight?

61 degrees right now in Allentown..going down to 36 degrees tonight with rain..then 30s and 40s with rain Tuesday and Wedneday...no snowmaking temperatures until the weekend..

+++++VIBES++++++

to BC..the snow must be melting like crazy..hopefully they can salvage the Holiday week..

i left denver yesterday morning and it was 5 degrees and snowing.

i tried so hard to bring it back with me, i really did.

i stepped out of the philly airport last night and realized i didn't need my coat. for a second i thought it was nice. then i remembered that this was in fact, very very bad.

sigh.

What a rollercoaster ride lately! I went in this morning on my day off to do some riding and couldn't believe my eyes when I drove in. I fully expected to see all trails but Extreme and Sasquatch open and what I say stunned me.

The warm temperatures and showers last night into this morning combined with the water saturated snow to cause melting at a rate I have never seen. The groomers said they could watch the snow melt last night.

On the plus side, the snow was really fast but still grippy enough to get an edge in. The forecast is all over the place for the next few days. I just noticed they have posted a winter storm watch now with the possibility for a few inches of wet snow/ice between rain events tonight and Wednesday night. I guess we will just have to ride it out and see what happens.

By the end of the week, the weather seems to get cold for more than a couple nights so we should be able to make more snow.

it amazes me how much information mark posts on here for everyone to read. it's really nice to see that someone at the top is taking into consideration what the customers are really interested in instead of just seeing the bottom line. i don't think many other ski areas would be so open about that, especially with dollar figures.

it amazes me how much information mark posts on here for everyone to read. it's really nice to see that someone at the top is taking into consideration what the customers are really interested in instead of just seeing the bottom line. i don't think many other ski areas would be so open about that, especially with dollar figures.

yeah i feel the same way... its really great especially for those who have a far drive to BC, they can get detailed conditions and set-ups for parks from alot of forums on here before even heading to the mtn.