Elk expansion?

AndyEich

... have there ever been serious rumblings of Elk expanding?

The east face of south knob looks legit, and depending on the configuration, it could add a couple hundred vertical feet. Looks like it has a good water source, too.

From reading the posts here it seems that the current owners are financially conservative, but it's fun to dream.

The east face of south knob looks legit, and depending on the configuration, it could add a couple hundred vertical feet. Looks like it has a good water source, too.

From reading the posts here it seems that the current owners are financially conservative, but it's fun to dream.

i think you could have made one thread that said "is every mountain in PA going to expand..ever?"

If they ever expanded that way it would really be like skiing in Vermont without the drive. but I can't see that happening. We can dream though.

I talked to one of the PR guys through some emails a couple years ago when I was doing a little research for an article I was writing for dcski, and I asked if there would be anymore lights added, and he said there wasn't enough night business to justify it... So naturally, I suggested that maybe adding more lights and making it more of a night time destination would increase business... He said that may be the case, but it just wasn't logical... At the time, I was younger and thought that was a good way of saying we don't want or don't have the money to spend... Even if that is the case, I see his point... Midweek most of the night skiiers are locals no matter where you go... And if they aren't, they are vacationers.... Unfortunately, the nearest hotels are nearly 20 minutes away if not farther, and you can get a pretty good workout during the day at Elk... I love Elk, and would therefore love to see an expansion, but I don't know when that is likely to happen... If there were more hotels closer and it was more of a destination area instead of a weekend warrior area, I think you would see more of a desire to do so... But, the last expansion, which I believe was the addition of the quad and a couple of trails off of the quad, occurred in 97' If that is the case, maybe some small expansions are due (ie a trail or two), but I unfortunately dont see them spending any massive amounts of dollars in the next few years...

• 2 months later...

Elk is a well run ski area. The improvements they made this year made sense and added to the quality of the experience. Regrading and adding snowmaking to Tioga Spur to avoid the intersection with Tunkhannock. Regrading Lenape.

I could see them expanding the lodge or eventually adding a HSQ in front of the lodge. More lights would be nice but they really don't have a big local base for night skiing midweek. They really don't need more trails at this point, but I wish they would change their attitude on glades. Some nice glades would really enhance the place and add to their loyal base.

I talked to one of the PR guys through some emails a couple years ago when I was doing a little research for an article I was writing for dcski, and I asked if there would be anymore lights added, and he said there wasn't enough night business to justify it... So naturally, I suggested that maybe adding more lights and making it more of a night time destination would increase business... He said that may be the case, but it just wasn't logical... At the time, I was younger and thought that was a good way of saying we don't want or don't have the money to spend... Even if that is the case, I see his point... Midweek most of the night skiiers are locals no matter where you go... And if they aren't, they are vacationers.... Unfortunately, the nearest hotels are nearly 20 minutes away if not farther, and you can get a pretty good workout during the day at Elk... I love Elk, and would therefore love to see an expansion, but I don't know when that is likely to happen... If there were more hotels closer and it was more of a destination area instead of a weekend warrior area, I think you would see more of a desire to do so... But, the last expansion, which I believe was the addition of the quad and a couple of trails off of the quad, occurred in 97' If that is the case, maybe some small expansions are due (ie a trail or two), but I unfortunately dont see them spending any massive amounts of dollars in the next few years...

Just a quick FYI

Rooms available all over the place up here

Arlo's country store

Candlelight Inn

Chet's Place

Mt View Inn

Stonebridge Inn

Vacation Inn

About half of these are within sght if the slopes, so come on up and stay a while.

All except Vacation Inn have food and drink on site.

Enjoy!!

Stop and try Jack Frost on your way, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by snomakerglenn