27" in 2 days @ Stratton

AtomicSkier

12/19/2008

After a 4.5 hour drive from Bethlehem to Londonderry, VT on Thursday night, we were in VT. Stoke levels were super high with an expected foot to fall on VT Friday afternoon and into the evening. After some drinks, we headed to bed.

The mountain opens up at 9am on weekdays, so I was on the lift at about 9:10, equipped with my free Stratton lift ticket (www.stratton10k.com) and my Hotronics M4 boot warmers. Gondola lines were short all day, so we hopped on the 2003 vertical foot Gondola en route to the top. 56 trails open with true packed powder, it was sweet. Temperatures were in the mid 20

Edited by AtomicSkier
wrong month

Nice TR. Glad to hear you had a good time in VT. I know people make mistakes but I would have been pissed if that happened to me, but you made the best of it which is all you can do. Just a little side note, if you want a good boot fitter that is a little more qualified with race boots let me know I can get you his contact info. I use him myself. He is located near philly about 50-60min from A-town but well worth the drive.

Nice TR. Glad to hear you had a good time in VT. I know people make mistakes but I would have been pissed if that happened to me, but you made the best of it which is all you can do. Just a little side note, if you want a good boot fitter that is a little more qualified with race boots let me know I can get you his contact info. I use him myself. He is located near philly about 50-60min from A-town but well worth the drive.

Sure, I made a mistake, but it was definitely the best snow of the day. I did have to ski through like 6 stream beds, but meh hahah :)

Pete Nestor Sr is plenty qualified to work on race boots :)

Sure, I made a mistake, but it was definitely the best snow of the day. I did have to ski through like 6 stream beds, but meh hahah :)

Pete Nestor Sr is plenty qualified to work on race boots :)

Well if it is only Pete Sr. then you are ok! lol

I will have to get to Blue sometime and ski with you guys.

I am sure those streams beds made things interesting haha

My son and I got the goods as well...

The drive up on sunday was absolutely horrific and took us a solid 8 hours due to the severe lack of visibility.

The XL7 did phenomenal in the snow and we were able to pass cars left and right with no problems but you couldn't even see the road.

We had booked a room at the liftline lodge but they gave us a room at the inn so that was nice. The shuttle picked us up and dropped us off right out front of the hotel and

it seemed like it was so much better than having to park at one of the two lots and taking the lot shuttle.

We were going to eat at grizzley's for dinner sat. but we got there too late and they were closed, so we ended up eating at bentley's which was in our hotel.

$11 Burger and Beer special for me and tenders and fries for Mike.

Monday was cold as all hell and no Gondola made it even worse..

Michael and I braved the cold all day and were there from 8:45 till close with an hour stop at Cob's Market for some chicken fingers and fries.

They never did open the Gondola on Sunday due to the wind and there was a lot of it. Plenty of pow to be found everywhere.

Spent most of the morning on the american express lift and on the runs skiers left and directly under that lift. There was lots of pow everywhere and it didn't seem like too many people were over there so we pretty much had it all to ourselves. We took our cob's market break around 11 and were back out by noon heading towards the upper part of the mountain. We spent most of the rest of the day off the ursa lift and lapping North American (franks fall line), upper tamarack and the runs around there. Through the course of the day we had hit every run that was open with the exception of the glade runs as my son wasn't comfortable going in there.

Oh we also skipped lower liftline as we did upper liftline which was completely ungroomed and was totally a mogul run. After surviving the top we bailed out on interstate and skipped the lower section... Mogul runs are not for me and definitely not for my son.

I only took a few pics on my blackberry and nothing worth posting really as it was way too cold to even think about taking the camera out of my jacket. There was nothing on me that wasn't completely frozen by the end of the day and by the looks of the mountain there was a LOT of people who called it quits early. We didn't wait in line not once the whole entire day with the exception of the first time up when the mountain opened.

We capped the night off with a trip into manchester ctr. for some grub and picked up some drinks at the 7-11 right before the access road to Stratton.

Tuesday up bright and early for continental breakfast, check-out and the shuttle to the slopes.

They opened the mountain up at 8:30 so we were there and hopped right onto the gondola.

On our Gondola car we were talking to a first aid guy who said they just opened up upper standard and rimeline for the first time this season so we made that our first run down.

Back up the gondola and over to the kidderbrook section down to the sunbowl. They opened up another section over there that was untouched and ungroomed and was completely covered in fresh pow so

we spent a few runs on that. They were starting to build the halfpipe down there as well but that was all roped off for the groomer.

No breaks for us today as it was our last day and we wanted to get in as much as possible... We just made our way back and forth across the mountain mostly staying on the Ursa, Sunrise, American Express lifts as the gondola was too slow (according to Mike...lol) We ended up leaving to catch the shuttle at 2 after Mike tried the box in the beginner park. Was a pretty smooth ride home and we were making great time until we hit rush hour traffic getting onto and all down the Garden State Parkway which took a good 45mins to get through at 10-30mph

6:10 total time back including a (timed) 7 minute stop at a rest stop to get grub and gas. (drive thru mcd's at rest stop kicks ass!!)

All in all a great trip and couldn't ask for better snow for my son's first outing outside of Pa.