Do you use 2 different boards? 1 for rails/boxes & 1 for freeriding/jumps? Why? How often do you tune each?

TT C6

How many ride 2 boards? One for the park and one for freeriding/jumping?

I've been told never to tune the board that I hit rails/boxes with because the base gets tore up by them and shape edges get caught easier on features

Same people say the duller the edges are on your park board the better and there is no benefit to maintaining the base on it.

Is this true ??????

If not, how often do you tune your park board and what do you do to tune it?

If so, it looks like I need 2 boards because I want a fast base and sharp edges when I freeride and hit jumps with.

How often do you sharpen and wax the board you freeride and jump with ????

I've got a 154cm GNU that I use mostly in the poconos. Never had the edges sharpened, but it has mag so it still carvs great in the ice. It is however a little squirrly for me so this year I picked up a larger deck.

Its a 157 GNU that I enjoy riding a lot. I recently had an edge catch a rail and ate it, so I got the edges detuned. Still handles excellently, but when its icy it doesnt hold an edge so great. I'm hoping to get it tuned again at somewhere of a happy medium of not catching rails and still being able to carve.

I've recently started waxing my own boards. So they both get done after every couple times I go out.

I ride a Rome Artifact 150 w/ Rome 390's for when the snow is soft and I plan on riding park most of the day. Also use it for backyard jib sessions. This board can't hold an edge on ice at all after breaking it in, it has bronze edges which go dull rather quick and can't dig into the ice.

I recently bought a Ride DH with Ride Beta bindings for when theres ice spots and what not for freeriding and park. Holds an edge real nice on the ice.

I'm real picky I can feel every suddle difference in between board/binding setups so I'm not sure which one I'll favor I've only rode the DH twice so far. I love the Artifact for how easy it is to butter and flex the board and the DH has some crazy pop and responsiveness.

I have two boards going. Right now I have a freeride board, a GNU Altered Genetics 159, which for my weight (180) most would consider way too big, but I love super stiff boards. I ride that in pipe, jumps, and free riding. I go with a stone grind, edge polish, flouro wax (not quite full blown race wax, but damn close). If I do get a scratch on it I will ptex is correctly, though that has only happened a few times. It has never been on a rail. The downside is that the board is slightly warped, the base is bowed out about 1/32" of an inch. It doesn't sound like much but when you run it over a stone grind you only get texture from the edge to about 2" towards the middle, with a 6" stripe down the middle that isn't getting cleaned. That makes it basically worthless for racing since you can't get it waxed well primarily because you can't get the old wax off. I'm not sure what to do about this, but regardless for now that is my freeride/jump/pipe board and I might have to replace it.

I have a softer/smaller board that I ride for the park. This is a 156 Burton Jeremy Jones (and I HATE it, no pop, heavier than the 159 GNU, but I got it for $50 new so whatever, I will replace it soon). I took a grinder to the middle 12" so the edge is round, and then a file for the rest. The file is probably all you need. I do not fill any scratches with ptex unless its a core shot, but I do get a belt grind on it at the start of the year (no edge sharpen on the sides) and wax it with just cheap all temperature wax as regularly as I would any other board. I don't want to leave any speed behind in the park so I don't get why people don't wax, but I do get why people don't worry about ptex.

The upside - the freeride board has lasted a lot longer than if I were using it for everything. And since it was about twice as expensive as a park board, that is important. I can burn through jib boards and not care since I buy cheap boards off year end sales and beat the hell out of them and move on. The downside - switching boards. First off you need two sets of bindings, and in my case I broke one set of bindings last year so now not only do I have a crappy park board, a bending freeride board, but I need bindings too. The more gear you get used to, the more expensive this sport gets.

Second, switching boards sucks. You never have the board you want at the right moment a lot of times. If I'm going to a big mountain I'll just pull out my freeride board, and I'm going to Boulder I'll just bring my park board. But a good example is your hunter trip coming up. Which board do you ride? You will be free riding most of the day so obviously you will be on that board, but when you hit the park 3 or 4 times what do you do? Skip the jibs? Or do you go down to the lodge and switch boards? Is it really worth the time of doing that just to hit a few boxes?

Worse is a mountain where it gets spread out and you have different parts of the mountain in different places. If you are at Mount Snow and decide to ride park, it is at a different lodge than the one you probably started at so you have to go to one parking lot or rack and get the park board, lock the free ride board up, ride the lift up and get over to the park. The same is true at Mountain Creek but with even worse distance. Your friends won't be happy.

What I'm doing now is basically free riding for a whole day or riding park for a whole day and sticking with it so I waste less time switching back and forth, and if I dabble with what I didn't set out to do for the day I just do it with the inferior board rather than keep switching back and forth.

At the beginning of this season i had as many as 5. Wittled that down to 3 for right now, but im always looking to pick up new boards to try. Right now i've got a Gnu Riders Choice BTX which is fun and playful. A Rome Design that is a free ride machine, and a Burton Malolo for pow.

Kevin- Just read you had the Gnu Alt gen, how do you like it? I've been thinking about getting a more freerideish reverse camber board, and was looking at that, the Lib TRS, and a the NS Sl-R.

Edited by Dan-

I have a powder board (Nitro T1 158 wide) that gets waxed regularly and has decently sharp edges. I don't need to tune it often because it's only really brought out on pow days and I'm never hitting rails with it. I've got a park/everything else board (Salomon Sanchez 152) that is pretty beat to shit. I took the edges off with an angle grinder and got it base ground once and I wax it if I think I'm not going fast enough.

No, he just bought it from me for super cheap.

That explains it, I used to ride only Burton but I've become to develope a passionate hate for their boards and bindings. I used to love them in the early 2000's but I bought their 2007 Shaun Whute a couple years ago and it fell apart on me top sheet was chipping like crazy and after trying a set of Rome bindings I've come to hate Burtons high backs on all of their models.

That explains it, I used to ride only Burton but I've become to develope a passionate hate for their boards and bindings. I used to love them in the early 2000's but I bought their 2007 Shaun Whute a couple years ago and it fell apart on me top sheet was chipping like crazy and after trying a set of Rome bindings I've come to hate Burtons high backs on all of their models.

Not really a big fan of any of there boards anymore, but i love there bindings.

I have my invaders for urban and rail jams, edges are completely rounded. My moments are for park only, edges are pretty beat on them too but I wax usually once a week. I just got my bacons for pow, those things will never see a park. It's a lot different for skis though, in my opinion. They're much more specific than snowboards. Waist, shape, mounting, and flex all drastically change how a ski will ride. Snowboards are much more universal in my opinion.

I rock one board for everything. Never tune it or wax it. And beat the shit out of it.

Never summer evo 151

word one board to do it all.

i ride a darkstar 155 completely dulled down, hot wax it every 7 times or so, beat the piss out of it.

I have my invaders for urban and rail jams, edges are completely rounded. My moments are for park only, edges are pretty beat on them too but I wax usually once a week. I just got my bacons for pow, those things will never see a park. It's a lot different for skis though, in my opinion. They're much more specific than snowboards. Waist, shape, mounting, and flex all drastically change how a ski will ride. Snowboards are much more universal in my opinion.

Same exact thing goes for snowboarding...

Dan-

My Altered Gen is my favourite board by far. It carves really large radius turns compared to most boards, but since it is so stiff it is really smooth at high speeds. That board just wants to blast down the hill at mach 10. It is also super light and poppy which makes it great for pipe and jumps. I like how the base material tunes, it absorbs wax very evenly. I don't know why that is but it really holds wax well. I am almost certain that when I replace it (I've had it for 3 years), I am going to buy another Altered Gen. The only board that even comes close on my radar is one of the high end Arbor boards.

uhhh we ride in the poconos. nothnig is big enough to warrant me having two boards. ill hit whatever jump with the same jib board i hit rails with. endeavour colour series. or ride kink when i used to ride that

I don't have two boards because the stuff is big, I have two boards to keep one of them in good condition. That is the board I then use when I travel because plenty of us from PA are going out to the big mountains out west or up north, and on the icy days here I'm glad to have one board with sharp edges.

Dan-

My Altered Gen is my favourite board by far. It carves really large radius turns compared to most boards, but since it is so stiff it is really smooth at high speeds. That board just wants to blast down the hill at mach 10. It is also super light and poppy which makes it great for pipe and jumps. I like how the base material tunes, it absorbs wax very evenly. I don't know why that is but it really holds wax well. I am almost certain that when I replace it (I've had it for 3 years), I am going to buy another Altered Gen. The only board that even comes close on my radar is one of the high end Arbor boards.

Thanks, probably going to look into getting one of those next year, or the TRS.

Wax boards if you aren't clearing the jumps. Detune if you are catching edges. If you are hitting jumps which require careful turns during approach you will need better edges, but if you are just bombing straight into the jumps, ala a terrain park, you don't really need super great edges for carving.

If you free ride on ice/hardpack you may miss having tuned edges.