MLK Day and Glades

GolfingOwl

Thinking of going to Sno for the first time with the family on Sunday or Monday (MLK Day). What are the crowds usually like. I know Sno is generally less crowded than the other resorts. I've skied Camelback and Jack Frost the last two MLK days and they haven't been too bad (like a normal Sunday, maybe even a little less crowded).

Also, the trail map lists Glades. Are they open, skiable? My 7-year old loves skiing in trees (which is why he loves going to Jack Frost).

couple inches of the real stuff on the glades but technicially there not open, unless we get more real snow I wouldn't recommend it there are woods stuff on lightning but its VERY technical.

There are usually no lines on weekends except when the MONTAGE SKI TEAM moves through (I hate that stupid ski team and there instructor, squid can tell you why)

Thinking of going to Sno for the first time with the family on Sunday or Monday (MLK Day). What are the crowds usually like. I know Sno is generally less crowded than the other resorts. I've skied Camelback and Jack Frost the last two MLK days and they haven't been too bad (like a normal Sunday, maybe even a little less crowded).

Also, the trail map lists Glades. Are they open, skiable? My 7-year old loves skiing in trees (which is why he loves going to Jack Frost).

If you're looking for no lines, go to Sno. If you want open glades go to JF. People were starting to hit Mark's Way during the last storm, but you could hear their board scraping on rocks...not quite enough snow there yet (for me anyway). Some of the other glades that get more blow over snow weren't too bad.

If you want no lines on MLK, go to Sno. If you want glades go to VT. I dont care what Sno or JF says, they dont have tree skiing. A 100ft slope with sparatic trees are not glades. The side of white lightning is a good at Sno, but its not even on the map.

If you want no lines on MLK, go to Sno. If you want glades go to VT. I dont care what Sno or JF says, they dont have tree skiing. A 100ft slope with sparatic trees are not glades. The side of white lightning is a good at Sno, but its not even on the map.

The right side of lightning was amazing sunday, you can go 3/4 down the headwall through the woods, maybe its not that much in length but it makes up for it in its difficulty and steepness, just don't venture too far right or you'll get stuck up against a down tree and no way around. There are several different locations I have in mind but i'm not at liberty to say. not on the map is good, means nobody knows about them, isn't that the point?

In fact I barely rode any of the actual trails at all on sunday, I just stayed as far right as possible and got every little un touched piece of snow I could find, and there was plenty.

but this is only good after a storm so unless we get one near MLK day your not gonna get any.

Edited by davieclauss

The "glades" trail off fast track is pretty flat and unless there is another foot of good snow shouldn't be skied. (it just won't be fun and will be hard and rocky).

The woods off lightning are no place for a kid. They are very tight and the snow tends to be pretty hard.

As for crowds I think MLK day last year was one or the more crowded days I remember last year. E.g. that meant the iron horse lift had a 5-7 min wait during the busiest period, less than 5 min. at northface and it was still ski on on the long haul lift.

On a side not a couple friends were at elk this weekend and said the snow up there didn't compare to Sno. Take that for what its worth.

Snoskier

I understand the difference between real glades and Poconos glades. My 7-year old likes to ski in trees (and he's done both VT glades and JF) so I was just wondering what Sno had having never been there and the fact that they list "Glades" on their trail map. JF has enough trees to entertain my 7-year old (doesn't take a lot, a few trees and jumps can entertain most skiers his age). And, quite frankly, makes things a little more interesting than blasting 2 minute runs down 700 ft of vert. It's going to make or break my decision of whether to go to Sno, just an inquiry.

The "glades" trail off fast track is pretty flat and unless there is another foot of good snow shouldn't be skied. (it just won't be fun and will be hard and rocky).

The woods off lightning are no place for a kid. They are very tight and the snow tends to be pretty hard.

As for crowds I think MLK day last year was one or the more crowded days I remember last year. E.g. that meant the iron horse lift had a 5-7 min wait during the busiest period, less than 5 min. at northface and it was still ski on on the long haul lift.

On a side not a couple friends were at elk this weekend and said the snow up there didn't compare to Sno. Take that for what its worth.

Snoskier

Elk is the other place we are considering because some friends are going up there. I've been to Elk, assume the crowds would be bigger there than at Sno.

I understand the difference between real glades and Poconos glades. My 7-year old likes to ski in trees (and he's done both VT glades and JF) so I was just wondering what Sno had having never been there and the fact that they list "Glades" on their trail map. JF has enough trees to entertain my 7-year old (doesn't take a lot, a few trees and jumps can entertain most skiers his age). And, quite frankly, makes things a little more interesting than blasting 2 minute runs down 700 ft of vert. It's going to make or break my decision of whether to go to Sno, just an inquiry.

Elk is the other place we are considering because some friends are going up there. I've been to Elk, assume the crowds would be bigger there than at Sno.

The "glades" on Fast Track at Sno seem like they would be good for your kid. They are really mellow and not too tight at all, but still enough to make it entertaining. I haven't been down Fast Track yet but with the fresh snow and snow blowing into the trees from making snow i can't imagine it being too far off from being ridable. But i'm sure those who have actually ridden it can give you a better idea. As for Elk, i'm pretty sure they have an absolute "no go" when it comes to riding the trees there. You will be lucky to receive a warning the first time, and second time you will be kicked off the mountain.

The "glades" on Fast Track at Sno seem like they would be good for your kid. They are really mellow and not too tight at all, but still enough to make it entertaining. I haven't been down Fast Track yet but with the fresh snow and snow blowing into the trees from making snow i can't imagine it being too far off from being ridable. But i'm sure those who have actually ridden it can give you a better idea. As for Elk, i'm pretty sure they have an absolute "no go" when it comes to riding the trees there. You will be lucky to receive a warning the first time, and second time you will be kicked off the mountain.

I've heard that about Elk (sounds like Blue or CB in that regard). JF is very liberal when it comes to skiing off trail.

I meant to say the glades thing won't make or break my decision.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd recommend sno. There will almost definately be small crowds compared to other mountains, There is some tree skiing available, and there are always little kickers and such on the sides of random trails that people cut out throughout the day. Also, they have been blowing a ton of snow for the parks which look so far like they will be really good, so your son can ride on the park trails for jumps and rails and such.

I'd recommend sno. There will almost definately be small crowds compared to other mountains, There is some tree skiing available, and there are always little kickers and such on the sides of random trails that people cut out throughout the day. Also, they have been blowing a ton of snow for the parks which look so far like they will be really good, so your son can ride on the park trails for jumps and rails and such.

Thanks. He's into the parks too. Usually goes off the jumps on the side of the rails. He is comfortable going 50/50 on wide boxes so long as they are low. Are there beginner features in the parks? He's been in the beginner parks at Boulder and was playing in the parks at Bear Creek last weekend (actually took a freestyle lesson to learn how to ride on the boxes).

Thanks. He's into the parks too. Usually goes off the jumps on the side of the rails. He is comfortable going 50/50 on wide boxes so long as they are low. Are there beginner features in the parks? He's been in the beginner parks at Boulder and was playing in the parks at Bear Creek last weekend (actually took a freestyle lesson to learn how to ride on the boxes).

dont promote using the lips of rails as jumps.

dont promote using the lips of rails as jumps.

I don't blame people.. there's no such thing as a small-sized kicker. There's medium, large, and jumbo.. but nothing for a 7y/o to use.

Enough peeps use these lips (which I see a LOT of people doing it at every mountain), the mountain will get the hint.

A ski patrol guy up at Sno Mtn I was riding the lift with last weekend told me they intended to have the glades open for the MLK holiday weekend. I don't know where they stand with that, but I remain hopeful.

Looks like we will be up there either Sunday or Monday, glades or no glades. Thanks for the all the responses. I'll report back with a TR.

ha ha remember last year, they pretty much parked the guns in the woods to try and get the glades open, I don't think it worked out well.

looks like they removed the live cam from the website :( I really liked it, I hope they put it back up because I feel better when I know there making snow, If I were them I would advertise it more, and hey, On the radio this morning, the ski report for all the mountains around, Sno was like the only one around that they didn't have a report for WTF?

and hey, why isnt there a category for Tanglewood?

Edited by davieclauss

We may stay over nearby. Any recommendations? Cheap, clean and kid friendly. I checked Sno's website and see there are a bunch of chain hotel/motels close bye. Pool would be nice for the kids.

I stayed at the Hampton last weekend. Has the pool, beds were very comfortable and a pretty good breakfast before you hit the mountain. The lobby has a pretty cool view of the mountain while you are having breakfast.

I thought this hampton was better than the one up in Clarks summitt, but the Clarks Summitt Hampton may have had an upgrade since i was last there.

I will go back to the Hampton again.