Steamboat Wack Attack.

Glenn

On Monday February 9th, 2009 I was busy getting after it with my friend Andrew on a snow scooter. Quite possibly the greastest invention for the worst of snow. Amidst our joy, shredding and general gapery I recieved word that Steamboat Springs had received 15 inches of snow in 24 hours and it was still snowing heavily. With the promise of a totally wack day I made plans with approximately 30 people to ski the resort like it had never been skied before.

P2080237.jpg

P2080238.jpg

P2080239.jpg

P2080240.jpg

P2080241.jpg

P2080244.jpg

P2080249.jpg

We awoke the next morning to Blueberry muffins and Minute Maid Orange juice. What a wonderful treat. I was elected the driver of a car and took Andrew and Tyler North on US 40. The temperature was irrelevant, I'm sure it's a pretty forgetable piece of information. I queued up a wonderful mix of Madonna and Miley Sirus. I was truely parking lot pimping when I rolled up to steamboat springs about 2 hours later. The drive was amazing, there were trucks, cars, and some farms to look at.

When we arrived at steamboat there was another 6 inches of snow and this....

P2100253.jpg

P2100254.jpg

P2100255.jpg

P2100256.jpg

After some bathroom breaks and some crane watching we decided to get on the gondola. We asked for a private cabin so we could sit back relax and enjoy our SFRB (LOL). Well two other people ended up in the cabin with us which was a major bummer. We spent about 98% of the ride asking them if they were cool, and they just didn't get what we were asking. Finally at the last lift tower we realized these tom dick and harrys were cool, so we all had a sip of SFRB (LOL) then headed out to the slopes. We rode many lifts.

P2100259.jpg

P2100266.jpg

P2100267.jpg

P2100268.jpg

P2100279.jpg

P2100322.jpg

There was some snow.

P2100306.jpg

After a great day of riding we had to watch some more crane.

P2100329.jpg

Then we went to the hotsprings at Strawberry Park. It was after dark and we all got naked and started rubbing on each other in the most sensous of ways. Especially the guy on guy rubbing. Well I must have rubbed one of the guys the right way because he invited myself Tania and Tyler back to his place for the night. Here I am pushing my Subaru Outback 2.5L to the limit on the way there.

P2100330.jpg

As you can see it was dumping HARD.

P2100331.jpg

We rode hard again the second day to another half dozen inches which fell throughout the day. As you can clearly see there was some snow. It did not suck.

P2100306.jpg

Well after getting powder all over the mountain, and riding some really fun stuff we decided to visit a local geological attraction known as chimney rock. I didn't actually get any pictures of the riding, but with the above pictures of snow and lifts I'm sure you can imagine how much fun we had. Anyways here we are approaching chimney rock.

P2110339.jpg

And chimney rock in all it's glory. I think the temperature was about 28 degrees fahrenheit.

P2110340.jpg

SERIOUS STOKE!

... just kidding. We rode some powder, here is Lindsy.

P2100289.jpg

Tania Jumped off a rock. It was big.

P2100302.jpg

And totally stomped it.

P2100304.jpg

I got on the wack attack train.

P2100308.jpg

Steamboat skiers like to stay on the trails which is cool. Winter park skiers like to get after it more. As soon as we started seeing other WP folks all the cliff areas and trees started to get schwagged out. Here are some more WP friends I spotted from the lift, ruining my landings.

P2100309.jpg

With the powder race scenario in effect because of the huge crew of WP people around Lindsy decided to get after the quickly dwindeling fresh landings.

P2100257.jpg

P2100312.jpg

Tania wanted some more too.

P2100314.jpg

I was keen on dropping this little beauty. A number of friends said it was too sketch but thats what I'm all about anyways.

P2100316.jpg

Landing was flat, but it was fun.

P2100317.jpg

The cat tracks got epic.

P2100319.jpg

P2100320.jpg

Top of the ganjola with icicles and bluebird skies.

P2100324.jpg

Tyler on the last run of day 1. As you can see it got choppy, but there was stilly snow to be had, under the lift EVERYONE has to ride to get to the top of the hill.

P2100326.jpg

I got a whopping 2 pictures the second day before my battery died. Enjoy the lamest sequence of all time of Tyler riding some money snow in the aspens.

P2110332.jpg

P2110333.jpg

an y issues with the mountain popo while there? i here there are a lot of eastern popo there and they are serious dicks when it comes to doing their job.

also, is chimney rock that thing on the right that looks like a throbbing member?

No issues with the popo but we try to keep our noses pretty clean. From my experience everyone in that town is super nice, but pretty reserved. You know how I like to get rowdy on the hill, and it was nothing but dirty looks pointed in my direction.

The first day I had the muffin and OJ then didn't eat until 6 or so and had 1/2 a pitcher of Breck Avalanche and half a cajun pizza. Then the best tasting alaskian smoked wild salmon with some pibbers just before bed. The guy we stayed with had a huge breakfast for us when we woke up with eggs, potatoes, toast, bagels, Dunkin Donuts coffee, fresh fruit and a variety of juices. He had to lay back with his 1 year old so he have us a weeks worth of granola bars and sent us back to the mountain. Then I ate at a place called restaurant at about 5 p.m. and had steak fajita burritos with enchillada sauce. There was taxidermy all over restaurant and I'd like to go back again sometime soon. Then I got back home and had some crackers with hummus, a slice of provolone cheese and 6 oreos with milk.

Chimney rock is a respected landmark and will not be referred to as a throbbing unit.

Lindsy is pissed her boobs wouldn't count and now I can't get any topless pics. Thanks a lot Nick! I've yet to see your mammary filled TR you hipster boulderite. :)

I'll see what I can do on my Moab/Telluride trip. Meeting a bunch of KUOC kids out there. They will have been in Utah for 3 days already when I get there, and my truck will be stocked with 6+% libations. So it could get sloppy, and by sloppy I mean interesting, and of course by interesting I mean... Shit lost my point. Anyway it should be good, so long as nobody pukes on me this time.

Edit: It also annoys me that it is almost March, and I have not gotten to make fun of Lindsy in person. I think this might be the third time now that I made fun of her via the interwebs. Lame.

Edited by nick malozzi