Ski tune ups at Blue

moe ghoul

learn how to wax them your self :)

I thought about it, but my workshop is already over loaded with tools and stuff, I've been slumming it hard all season, and this'll be the first tuneup since the season started. Besides, I don't mind helping out the ski economy.

Where do you live Moe? There's a shops or two around me that do a good job and right now can do skis in a day. Hot wax and sharpen. I know cause I just called for our skis so we're ready for K-Mart.

I'm in Philly. It's easier for me to get em done at WF or in LP at this point. I even thought of dropping them at Nestor's on the way back from Blue tomorrow if they can have them ready by Thursday when I head back up.

Meant to say in the last post...I was pleased with the results.

Also, I have a tuning season pass at Buckman's since I don't always have time to tune them myself. I wanted the complete tune (base grind and binding check and whatever else I can't do myself) in the beginning of the season. This cost me $60 (just $10 than the one-time only complete tune) total...has definitely been worth it so far, and I'll probably get a few more tunes before the end of the season. Season pass or not, they can rush your tune for $8/3 day turnaround or $15/1 day turnaround.

learn how to wax them your self :)

I thought about it, but my workshop is already over loaded with tools and stuff, I've been slumming it hard all season, and this'll be the first tuneup since the season started. Besides, I don't mind helping out the ski economy.

Learn to tune and wax, and you're still helping out the ski economy by purchasing all sorts of tools, waxes, vices, brushes, files....

Just get an old iron, and 10 dollar universal wax, and save yourself a bunch of money. Unless your racing, you don't need all those tools, except a file, but you can get one of those for 10 bucks to.

Edit: just think about it, I got 10 dollar dakine universal wax from REI. That lasted me, atleast 10 waxes. It'll run you 20-30 bucks for a shop to wax it once, and it's maybe half as good, since they just send it through a machine and roll on a wax coat. The base never really gets heated long enough to really absorb the wax. So you pretty much pay for a glorified rub on wax job.

Edited by Dan-

I even thought of dropping them at Nestor's on the way back from Blue tomorrow if they can have them ready by Thursday when I head back up.

aside from waxing/sharpening yourself, this is your best bet. 20 bucks and we most likely could have them done while you wait 15-20 minutes or so. If not while you wait, they'd be done for thursday. hope that helped.

There's a place in Media that I went to a few years ago...I forget exactly what it's called but i'm pretty sure it was Media Ski and Snowboard Shop.

When I went I paid $20 for wax and edges and they turned my skis around overnight.

Dayam.... I never knew that place was there and it's literally probably like 5 miles from my house.

I'm going to have to check it out...

Correction ----- 3.6 mi – about 9 mins

Edited by phillycore

Ya I looked it up on Google Maps and looked at the little shopping center with street view before I posted that link, I'm pretty sure that was the place. Real small place, but they assured me on the phone (this was 2 years ago) that they could have them back to me the next night, and that I would pay $20. Hopefully they didnt raise the price.

Don't waste your time guys. I live two minutes from this "shop." It's not a "real" ski shop. It is a combination baseball card shop/ski shop. Yup, on one side of the space is trading cards and on the other side is a collection of rentals. He just rents snow blades and some beginner skis. He doesn't even sell new stuff.

If you want, send me the skis. I live in the same town and can give you a "World Cup" tune for the same money.

To quote Jeff Spicoli, "Relax, my Dad is a T.V. repairman. He has the ultimate set of tools, I can fix it."