3/9/09...Shout out to ski patroller Rob Cook!

AtomicSkier

Well, after talking with GSS at 5pm about his meeting, I decided to come up for some turns to get my pass back. I arrived 45 minutes later, and after a long search for my pass in Dennis Krell's office, we found it. Dennis wasn't there but I spoke with him on the phone. Jim activated my pass again, and out on the snow I went. I was back at the Blue the True since my incident on Thursday with Stephen, the green/blue bucket helmeted snowboard ski patroller.

First lift ride up I rode the lift with concussion Ted. I told him I was out of ski patrol jail, and he's like every other patroller now, wanted to immediately argue with me. What has happened has happened, but they always want to argue. I skied a run down Challenge and then rode the lift up myself. At the top was GSS and Skier1112. Doug and I flew down Razors while skier1112 did the park.

Coming down home stretch, I rounded the turn, and saw a patroller waiting at the end of the coral with a shit eating grin on his face, looking right at me. I thought nothing of it, and proceeded to get on the lift with Doug. I was in the middle, Doug on my left, and the patroller hauled ass to get on with us, and he was on my right. He had the biggest shit eating grin on his face. I knew he wanted to say something.

SP = "How are you guys doing tonight?" (still smiling)

Me = "Just great"

SP = "Let me see your pass" (this is how my incident started on Thursday)

Me = "You've got to be kidding me"

SP = "Let me see your pass"

Me = "Let me see your pass, what is your name?"

I show him my pass like I was proud of it. He looked at it and said:

SP = "How did you get that back, Jeff?"

Me = "I got it back"

SP = "Well congratulations"

Me = "What's your name?"

SP = "Rob"

He wouldn't surrender his last name, but that wasn't an issue as we know plenty at Blue. He started going on about why I wouldn't show Stephen my pass, etc.

Me = "Just stop talking right now. I don't need this shit, and lucky for you, Rob, we're having a meeting with the Director of SP and Dennis Krell this weekend, and you better believe your name is coming up for harassing me"

SP = "Lucky for me? I just love reading PASR because you guys are enthusiasts and just love to ski"

At this time he was just patronizing us, as at every opportunity he had to talk, he tried to grill us on harassing ski patrol, etc. He kept saying we were provoking ski patrol and that it's not about being in control, its about fast skiing. Doug quickly repeated what the GM said about fast skiing on Paradise. Rob doesn't like how we talk about "red coats" on PASR, and he kept going on about it. He was saying we're incriminating ourselves and that we shouldn't be posting stuff online about patrollers. It's called free speech buddy. We found out later tonight that his last name is Cook, so Rob Cook, I just want to say "Hi" and maybe we'll see you again at Blue. You really seemed to enjoy riding the lift with us twice. Your lame attempts at harassing us are well documented here. We're going to have a chat with your boss about your unprovoked harassment.

I skied about 10 runs and headed out. There's never a dull moment at Blue.

Well, after talking with GSS at 5pm about his meeting, I decided to come up for some turns to get my pass back. I arrived 45 minutes later, and after a long search for my pass in Dennis Krell's office, we found it. Dennis wasn't there but I spoke with him on the phone. Jim activated my pass again, and out on the snow I went. I was back at the Blue the True since my incident on Thursday with Stephen, the green/blue bucket helmeted snowboard ski patroller.

First lift ride up I rode the lift with concussion Ted. I told him I was out of ski patrol jail, and he's like every other patroller now, wanted to immediately argue with me. What has happened has happened, but they always want to argue. I skied a run down Challenge and then rode the lift up myself. At the top was GSS and Skier1112. Doug and I flew down Razors while skier1112 did the park.

Coming down home stretch, I rounded the turn, and saw a patroller waiting at the end of the coral with a shit eating grin on his face, looking right at me. I thought nothing of it, and proceeded to get on the lift with Doug. I was in the middle, Doug on my left, and the patroller hauled ass to get on with us, and he was on my right. He had the biggest shit eating grin on his face. I knew he wanted to say something.

SP = "How are you guys doing tonight?" (still smiling)

Me = "Just great"

SP = "Let me see your pass" (this is how my incident started on Thursday)

Me = "You've got to be kidding me"

Me = "Let me see your pass, what is your name?"

I show him my pass like I was proud of it. He looked at it and said:

SP = "How did you get that back, Jeff?"

Me = "I got it back"

SP = "Well congratulations"

Me = "What's your name?"

SP = "Rob"

He wouldn't surrender his last name, but that wasn't an issue as we know plenty at Blue. He started going on about why I wouldn't show Stephen my pass, etc.

Me = "Just stop talking right now. I don't need this shit, and lucky for you, Rob, we're having a meeting with the Director of SP and Dennis Krell this weekend, and you better believe your name is coming up for harassing me"

SP = "Lucky for me? I just love reading PASR because you guys are enthusiasts and just love to ski"

At this time he was just patronizing us, as at every opportunity he had to talk, he tried to grill us on harassing ski patrol, etc. He kept saying we were provoking ski patrol and that it's not about being in control, its about fast skiing. Doug quickly repeated what the GM said about fast skiing on Paradise. Rob doesn't like how we talk about "red coats" on PASR, and he kept going on about it. He was saying we're incriminating ourselves and that we shouldn't be posting stuff online about patrollers. It's called free speech buddy. We found out later tonight that his last name is Cook, so Rob Cook, I just want to say "Hi" and maybe we'll see you again at Blue. You really seemed to enjoy riding the lift with us twice. Your lame attempts at harassing us are well documented here. We're going to have a chat with your boss about your unprovoked harassment.

I skied about 10 runs and headed out. There's never a dull moment at Blue.

That's the same kinda slimy stalker shit Joel pulled, when he basically forced himself onto the lift with me and GSS for the 2nd time.

When are you guys going to learn? Not too smart.

We did nothing wrong. I did not provoke him at all. He had every intent of riding the lift with us, and harassing me about recent events, totally unprovoked. Regardless of what Doug and I do, ski patrollers are representatives of the mountain and should act as such. Harassing customers is NOT one of their jobs. I've never met him before, and he just waited at the bottom for me.

We did nothing wrong. I did not provoke him at all. He had every intent of riding the lift with us, and harassing me about recent events, totally unprovoked. Regardless of what Doug and I do, ski patrollers are representatives of the mountain and should act as such. Harassing customers is NOT one of their jobs. I've never met him before, and he just waited at the bottom for me.

I'm not saying he was right. What I'm saying is that your reponse to him is not going to help your situation. Don't be so sure you guys will leave that meeting any better off. Be smarter!

Edited by First Grade Teacher

When are you guys going to learn? Not too smart.

Why? What can Blue do to them? Ban them? Obviously people at the mountains understand marketing - there is a reason they give out free passes to people who influence large groups of people. I skied for free for years working in a shop because people would ask me where to go. The mountains gave me free passes, the companies gave us cheap gear, all to shape our answers to those questions.

The opposite of that is that if the mountains piss off the guy who owns PASR and the guy who posts on it the most, a lot of people are going to hear about it and get turned off to Blue. That number is not a huge one, but it might be dozens or hundreds of tickets in a year. I can say they have lost 50+ lift tickets this year from the trip I organized and took to JFBB instead of Blue due to Blue's policies. Blue has a lot more to lose than these two. It's not like they can actually get charged for something.

Edited by Kevin.

Why? What can Blue do to them? Ban them? Obviously people at the mountains understand marketing - there is a reason they give out free passes to people who influence large groups of people. I skied for free for years working in a shop because people would ask me where to go. The mountains gave me free passes, the companies gave us cheap gear, all to shape our answers to those questions.

The opposite of that is that if the mountains piss off the guy who owns PASR and the guy who posts on it the most, a lot of people are going to hear about it and get turned off to Blue. That number is not a huge one, but it might be dozens or hundreds of tickets in a year. I can say they have lost 50+ lift tickets this year from the trip I organized and took to JFBB instead of Blue due to Blue's policies. Blue has a lot more to lose than these two. It's not like they can actually get charged for something.

Yeh, Blue is going to bend over backwards for them. They will probably offer them the first condo for free just for bashing them on the internet. They will probably throw in free beer too! Did you pay attention in school?

Yeh, Blue is going to bend over backwards for them. They will probably offer them the first condo for free just for bashing them on the internet. They will probably throw in free beer too! Did you pay attention in school?

No I agree that they're not going to love Jeff & Doug, but at the same time Blue simply has more to lose from the situation. Its evident from some of the events so far this season that PASR does have some influence.

1) Jeff got his pass back

2) Bear Creek fired a patroller under similar circumstances earlier this season

3) JFBB gave PASR discounts & is restoring a trail people asked for

Looking at our company's forum logs, lurkers out number posters 3 or 4 to 1, and ours is more of a help forum so people post at a greater rate asking for us to fix their problems I would think than here where its a lot of trip reports that people read and never comment on.

Of course not. But why did Rob Cook need to seek us out today? I could spot that shit eating grin from Razors Edge.

Think about it. You started shit with Hans. He doesn't have to fuck with you when there are hundreds of patrollers. He just sits back and laughs. Just cool it and stop calling these guys out by name on the internet. You're not going to make any friends in SP or management doing that. Relax! Be smarter, not a brat.

It appears to me that the patrollers at Blue are the ones with the control issues. I've never skied with GSS or AtomicSkier, but I've read these forums for a few years and I've never got the impression that they were anything but responsible skiers. I've never read from anyone who has skied with them that they were out of control or skiing fast and endangering other skiers and riders.

GSS posts a report everyday here and on AlpineZone.com. His posts offer honest reports on conditions, some constructive criticism (which should be welcomed from their best customer!), but are never negative, and represent A LOT of FREE publicity to Blue. Not to mention PASR days that bring in ticket sales. If I owned Blue, I'd give him and AtomicSkier free season passes. They are surely getting many times more FREE marketing from their post than the value of two season passes!

Instead, the Blue Mountain Ski Patrol is harrassing them! The Ski Patrol is supposed to be the professionals! Waiting to hop on a chairlift to harrass two of your best customers is not professional. Those patrollers have every right to call them on legitimate issues, but waiting to ride a lift with them and harrassing them should be reason for dismissal! Real professionals would make friends with them, explain the policies, and give them a break when Paradise is empty. Even say, "It's all clear guys. Let 'em rip!" when the trail is empty, "But keep it slow at other times, OK?"

Yes, the Ski Patrol does a great job helping injured skiers, but anyone who manages such an organization should also realize that it attracts a lot of "control freaks". Police departments recognize that and weed out a lot of those people who end up being mall security guards. Maybe Blue should weed out some of their control freaks.

I used to ski Blue the most of any ski area. Due to a job change this past year my night skiing is shot and I haven't been there this year. But I did get whistled at on Paradise one time last year when the trail was EMPTY on a weekday. I was skiing at a moderately fast pace, and was as far away from the patroller as I could have been. But the thing that got me was how she SCREAMED "Slow Down!!!!" That never would have happened at any other area I have skied. And made me think, "That women should never be allowed to be on Ski Patrol"

Blue needs to get their patrollers under control and remind them that the customers are more important than they are. GSS's videos only reinforce that a lot of them are probably rejects from the PA State Police Academy with their "ticket" policy. :rolleyes:

Edited by trackbiker

For those PASRs who don't like when me and Jeff call out the "bad" patrollers on here....think about it like this. They put me and Jeff in their database and PASR is our database. Trackbiker I agree that AJeff and I should receive free season passes at Blue for all the free publicity we give them..

'Calling out' vs. going to great lengths to humiliate are two very different things...

I've been stopped on Paradise a few times, and not once have I received a ticket. Every single time I was respectful and I realized that I got caught so I kept my skiing to other runs for the day.

Perhaps you could make a suggestion that Paradise be a designated slow skiing trail AFTER a certain time... ie. 9:30am on Weekends... I feel that slow skiing trails should exist at a mountain like Blue. For some reason, people in this area of the country who have never skied before feel some need to ski the entire mountain on the first day. I can't even begin to count the hundreds of people I've laughed at as they tumble down Challenge on rental equipment. Seems like even more of a liability than the terrain parks! I digress...

PASR has given both of you a great means to show how ignorant you can be. As the supporting locals that you both claim to be, why didn't you sack up and go to ski patrol after your first issue? One of you was carted off the mountain last year and spoke highly of the patrollers who assisted you. Wouldn't that have been a great starting point with ski patrol themselves for a conversation about your concerns?

You guys tried to humiliate some of the most respected members of ski patrol. You guys continue to look like the idiots. Get over it.