Tuckermans; April 25th and 26th

JaySkisBig

Given that a few people in the Ratpack have gotten married and/or had kids, they have given up our yearly Tucks trip. I'm looking to build a group to join us four on April 25-26th. This is more like a satelite group, meaning that they should be self reliant and capable, but want to ski/board with others forming a much larger bunch.

If you think that a probe is something only to do with Cartman, then need not respond! LOL

One thing I've been up in the air about is the need for an ice ax. Once the snow pack stabilizes into more spring like conditions is an ax really necessary for the climb? My understanding is that while it is steep in parts there is usually a decent boot pack. I've got the rest of the avy gear, but absent loading or other risk factors I'm probably not going to schlep it up. That said Dodges slide this weekend... http://www.tuckerman.org/accident/20082009.htm

damn tuckerman's looks like a good time.. i would love to give it a shot but realistically with my zero knowledge/gear its not going to happen. have fun and post pics

Edited by Oakley21

One thing I've been up in the air about is the need for an ice ax. Once the snow pack stabilizes into more spring like conditions is an ax really necessary for the climb? My understanding is that while it is steep in parts there is usually a decent boot pack. I've got the rest of the avy gear, but absent loading or other risk factors I'm probably not going to schlep it up. That said Dodges slide this weekend... http://www.tuckerman.org/accident/20082009.htm

Wait a week or two and leave your avy gear at home, when it corns up avy's aren't happening. They get runnels and lots of sluffing but I wouldn't worry about anything sliding for real.

The axe is nice if your going somewhere less traveled but isn't necessary for the Hillmans area or the bowl. I always brought mine for shits and giggles or to bang out steps over to GOS. Same dealio with crampons, 99% of the time your aren't going to need an axe or crampons and if you did would you be skiing anyways ?

Seriously everyone should just go, if you've never been its incredible and is great way to get introduced into the fantastic world of BC skiing.

Mt. Washington all BS aside, in late April/ May is fucking packed, unless you are a complete idiot you aren't going to die or get eaten by a yeti.

Wait a week or two and leave your avy gear at home, when it corns up avy's aren't happening. They get runnels and lots of sluffing but I wouldn't worry about anything sliding for real.

The axe is nice if your going somewhere less traveled but isn't necessary for the Hillmans area or the bowl. I always brought mine for shits and giggles or to bang out steps over to GOS. Same dealio with crampons, 99% of the time your aren't going to need an axe or crampons and if you did would you be skiing anyways ?

Seriously everyone should just go, if you've never been its incredible and is great way to get introduced into the fantastic world of BC skiing.

Mt. Washington all BS aside, in late April/ May is fucking packed, unless you are a complete idiot you aren't going to die or get eaten by a yeti.

Wasn't worried about that. I've seen pictures, place gets ridiculous late season. I want to do it more for the experience and to just have a good time. With how shitty of shape i am in right now, i'd be toast after probably 2-3 runs anyway.

Everyone should go. If you don't have the gear maybe go up for the day and stay nearby and enjoy the other joys of the white mountains. If you have a pack, a cold weather bag and a hiking stove you have the gear you need. It's not a serious endevor and you don't need to be superman to make it happen. 2-3 runs is a full day anyways, and if you get 1 run a day thats all you really need. If I went back I'd bring liquor in a plastic bottle.

Stop making excuses and go, this is by far the gnarliest, most accessible terrain you will find east of the rockies.

rrrgh, was hoping to leave today to hike/ski tommorrow but not happening due to work/family stuff. thinking about next week sometime if anybody's interested going up with a first timer. planning om leaving mid day, crashing somewhere, hiking/skiing then driving back=day and a half trip

rrrgh, was hoping to leave today to hike/ski tommorrow but not happening due to work/family stuff. thinking about next week sometime if anybody's interested going up with a first timer. planning om leaving mid day, crashing somewhere, hiking/skiing then driving back=day and a half trip

I am totally about this, but just not next week. I want to wait a few more weeks for the snow to settle down. If for some reason your plans fall through, or you just want to go again in May, let me know.

How skiable do you guys think Tuck's will be in the first week of May?

Tucks will be skiable probably until atleast June. From what i've heard, it's still pretty much full on winter up on Mt. Washington.

yea we look at tucks from stowe everyday it is clear and are waiting to get over there and see the best in the east.

anyone know of anysites that suggest what you should bring if do go?

and nick i was talking to a kid last night that i go to school up here with , brian hamill, i think you guys know each other?