What's Up at Blue

Death Cookie

Can anyone tell me what you get when you hire an ex cable guy and an inexperienced dead owner's daughter to run a ski area. Done guessing....... You get poor grooming, sparse snowmaking, and overall bad conditions. Despite great snowmaking temps the entire mountian still isn't open. What's up with that? No snow blowing in the past few days, and nothing but piles of sugar covering frozen ungroomable hard pack for the past 2 days. Here' a novel idea, how about educating the Blue Mountain staff on how to run a ski area.

Here's one more idea, how about adding some decent food in the caferteria especially since the prices keep going up and up.

• Like 2

Well they weren't blowing over the weekend because....it was warm? You can't blow snow when it's not cold enough. As for getting the whole mountain open, I agree, but Blue blows more then a 1" foot base on the trails they open. When they open a trail, its open for good even with a prolonged warm spell. I'm on the fence about Barb. Ray provided us with twice a day grooming all the time, as well as the earliest opening on the weekends in the Poconos. Barb has brought us the 6pack and its VIP line, a new trail, summer mountain biking, among other things. I'd say Barb has the bottom line on her mind, but wants to see Blue be more of a resort/family friendly place, rather then the old run down ski area it currently is. Blue has the most potential in PA with the most vertical and best lifts, it just needs some help.

Well, it was 60F in the middle of NJ yesterday, I don't think it was much colder at Blue, and it was pouring r*** the past few days, probably needed to resurface before expanding. I haven't been keeping track of blue that carefully, but considering Hunter is the only significant area I know of that's currently got near 100% of their snowmaking terrain open, Blue's not doing too badly...

Well they weren't blowing over the weekend because....it was warm? You can't blow snow when it's not cold enough. As for getting the whole mountain open, I agree, but Blue blows more then a 1" foot base on the trails they open. When they open a trail, its open for good even with a prolonged warm spell. I'm on the fence about Barb. Ray provided us with twice a day grooming all the time, as well as the earliest opening on the weekends in the Poconos. Barb has brought us the 6pack and its VIP line, a new trail, summer mountain biking, among other things. I'd say Barb has the bottom line on her mind, but wants to see Blue be more of a resort/family friendly place, rather then the old run down ski area it currently is. Blue has the most potential in PA with the most vertical and best lifts, it just needs some help.

i thought the 6 pack happened before ray passed? they kinda dropped the ball early on by not pushing to get open when boulder, camelback, etc were really going for it, but saturday's downpour and opening day aside, i think conditions have been pretty good for the most part this year. definitely better than last year. they've got a really fun park setup right now, which is better than what they had at this point last year for sure. they've added mountain biking for summer revenue, and did a great job with that too.

As said before,Blue has great potential.I think it needs a huge injection of $$$$$$$$$.Mountain biking and frisbee golf in the summer are OK,but it doesn't bring in the amount of money you really need for improvements.You need to find people(corperate) to invest in it.You have to get people to want to go there for more than one day,so hotel/lodging is a must.You also want them to come back so snow condition/facilities(lodge,bar,resturant,etc) must be nice.Those facilites can go year round also.The die hard skier/snowboarder might say "we don't care about the lodge etc.,we just want better snow/grooming/open early,close late",but people with $$$(not all) want the whole package.

All you have to do is look at Bear Creek to see what can be done.Just remember everything comes with a price.