Boot advice

RootDKJ

Hey everyone

I'm currently skiing on on (2006?) Nordica Speedmachiene 12's in a 27.0. A good stiff boot that has a deep & secureheel pocket, great feedback and edge control. I've always had some minor fit issues with them. Yesterday, they were perfect...hardly and adjusting required. Today, I just couldn't seem to get them to feel right. When I do get them to feel right, I really have no complaints about them. On days where they don't want to play, I find that opening the top buckles while in the lift line helps a lot.

About 2 years ago during a rainy day at Killington, I was killing time and spent some time doing a basic boot fitting. Basin put me back in the same boot. They thought it was a good match for my foot shape.

Hal at Northern Ski Works thought the Speedmachine 14 was a better choice. The Speedmachine 14 is now the Speedmachine 130. Hal also thought that the Tecnica Dragon 120 would also be a solid choice for me. One thing I noticed, is he was using boots that were 27.5's. Any idea why? Would it really matter if I'm pulling the footbed out anyway?

My Speedmachiene 12's must have around 135 days on them now and I'd really like to get something that requires less adjustments during the day. What is the consensus of buying boots online if you already kinda know what fits?

Lastly, anyone care to comment on the differences between the two models (foot bed width (last), stiffness, performance)?

Thanks

Hey everyone

I'm currently skiing on on (2006?) Nordica Speedmachiene 12's in a 27.0. A good stiff boot that has a deep & secureheel pocket, great feedback and edge control. I've always had some minor fit issues with them. Yesterday, they were perfect...hardly and adjusting required. Today, I just couldn't seem to get them to feel right. When I do get them to feel right, I really have no complaints about them. On days where they don't want to play, I find that opening the top buckles while in the lift line helps a lot.

About 2 years ago during a rainy day at Killington, I was killing time and spent some time doing a basic boot fitting. Basin put me back in the same boot. They thought it was a good match for my foot shape.

Hal at Northern Ski Works thought the Speedmachine 14 was a better choice. The Speedmachine 14 is now the Speedmachine 130. Hal also thought that the Tecnica Dragon 120 would also be a solid choice for me. One thing I noticed, is he was using boots that were 27.5's. Any idea why? Would it really matter if I'm pulling the footbed out anyway?

My Speedmachiene 12's must have around 135 days on them now and I'd really like to get something that requires less adjustments during the day. What is the consensus of buying boots online if you already kinda know what fits?

Lastly, anyone care to comment on the differences between the two models (foot bed width (last), stiffness, performance)?

Thanks

what exactly is it that feels weird sometimes? you're saying that when you get them 'right' you have no complaints, so my best guess is that sometimes when you put them on, you don't get your foot all the way back into the boot with your heel totally locked in place. if you're buckling everything up and your foot isnt quite where it's supposed to be, stuff could feel weird. if the nordicas have worked for you pretty well for the most part, i probably wouldnt go with the tecnica. to me, they feel like they've got a slightly looser heel pocket. i would describe it as your boot tending to fit a wedge/triangular shaped foot well, whereas the tecnica lends itself a little more to a blockier, wider in the heel kinda foot. as far as buying online, that's really your call, but regardless of what you end up doing, definitely see a boot fitter to get everything totally dialed once you have your boot picked out. expect to pay for materials and bench time if you buy the boots online and bring them into a shop, whereas if you buy them from the shop, you'll likely get hooked up with little or no cost for the fitting and any pads (footbeds and grinding/stretching aside) that you might need to really optimize the fit of the boot for your foot.

When I'm having an "off" day, it get extreme numbness in the toes and forefoot area. Opening of the top buckles helps relieve this. I'm pretty sure that my heel was secure in the pocked though. That part always feels "right".

I'm going to try on them both again...maybe even today after work.

The 27.0 and 27.5 have the same shell dimensions only the liner is different. Alot of boot fitters do the half size bump when you complain about little things fit wise but generally like the boot. Basically you get the exact same shell with a little more room for general foot weirdness, its a simple fix because you don't have to dick with your bindings.

Are the adjustments due to your foot being uncomfortable or because they are loosening up ?

I've never seen a boot that doesn't do the latter, maybe its out there but I've never experienced it.

The only thing I'd say overall is do not get crazy about stiffness at least if you expect a comfortable boot, plugs and near plugs are going to be somewhat uncomfortable, thats alot of plastic and very thin liners. You can shave and punch all you want but they aren't going to be as comfortable as 90-100 stiffness boots and the performance differences can be minimal depending on a number of characteristics of your skiing.

This may sound real dumb, like did you put gas in the car before you tried to start it kind of dumb, but are the Booster straps too tight? I ski in the Nordica Beast and I have the same problem. It is always because I cranked the Booster strap down too hard and it is cutting off the blood flow into my foot. Loosening up the strap helps me every time. I used to think I had to crank my buckles down to the max to get the performance I needed. Wrong. I ski in a much looser boot now and it makes all the difference.

I ski in a much looser boot now and it makes all the difference.

I do as well.

Even as my boots are really packing out after 2 years of use, I never find myself going past the first buckle (may have something to do with my near size 12 foot in a 9.5 boot). If you're staying centered and balanced on the ski and not trying to force any movement by letting the ski do all the work, you can ski with a real loose boot. Racers often take runs with their top buckles and booster straps off (aka, no tongue support) to make sure they stay centered. I find that a lot of my former boot pain was because of me skiing poorly and trying to control my skis with my feet (mostly in crud at JHole).

Root, do your boots feel better after a run on Lazy then they do Challenge?

This may sound real dumb, like did you put gas in the car before you tried to start it kind of dumb, but are the Booster straps too tight? I ski in the Nordica Beast and I have the same problem. It is always because I cranked the Booster strap down too hard and it is cutting off the blood flow into my foot. Loosening up the strap helps me every time. I used to think I had to crank my buckles down to the max to get the performance I needed. Wrong. I ski in a much looser boot now and it makes all the difference.

I don't think so, but I could try running that looser.

I do as well.

Even as my boots are really packing out after 2 years of use, I never find myself going past the first buckle (may have something to do with my near size 12 foot in a 9.5 boot). If you're staying centered and balanced on the ski and not trying to force any movement by letting the ski do all the work, you can ski with a real loose boot. Racers often take runs with their top buckles and booster straps off (aka, no tongue support) to make sure they stay centered. I find that a lot of my former boot pain was because of me skiing poorly and trying to control my skis with my feet (mostly in crud at JHole).

Root, do your boots feel better after a run on Lazy then they do Challenge?

No difference.

You mention that some days are good boot days and some days are bad boot days. That's normal. Somedays my boots feel perfect. Somedays they annoy me. I always flip open my buckles on the lift, but a bad boot day requires me to unhook them sometimes to allow me to move my foot around because of pressure on top of my foot. I know Doug has mentioned somedays his boots are good, somedays they are not. I often have to reboot 1 or 2 times in the parking lot because when I slipped my foot into the boot, it just didn't feel right. It took me 4 attempts on Saturday.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread instead of Doug's boot thread because that one lost its way. Looking for advice/thoughts mainly from Ajeff here- have the oppurtunity to get a sick deal on a pair of never used 08 crazy blue langes in either the 130 or 150 flex. I havent worn langes since the XR9 model which i loved but then went back to Nordicas. Jeff i know your in the lange- what flex do you have and whats your overall thought on the boot.Pros/cons?

I know the correct answer is go try them on, demo them etc, thats not an option in this situation because I am not the only one who was given this offer but i have first dibs and could use new boots and this is a sick deal so looking for some reviews.

Bumping this thread instead of Doug's boot thread because that one lost its way. Looking for advice/thoughts mainly from Ajeff here- have the oppurtunity to get a sick deal on a pair of never used 08 crazy blue langes in either the 130 or 150 flex. I havent worn langes since the XR9 model which i loved but then went back to Nordicas. Jeff i know your in the lange- what flex do you have and whats your overall thought on the boot.Pros/cons?

I know the correct answer is go try them on, demo them etc, thats not an option in this situation because I am not the only one who was given this offer but i have first dibs and could use new boots and this is a sick deal so looking for some reviews.

I have the 130 w/ the 98mm last. I love the boots, but my feet aren't a huge fan (mostly because I have poor circulation). The performance rocks and in a race boot, that's all that really matters.

But, I would never ever buy boots without trying them on.

Sorry for confusion and thanks for updates- have tried on before- fit felt fine (for a race boot)- wont have time to demo- i know my foot takes well to a lange- was curious if 130/150 liner was too thin or stiff (lot of friends are going less stiff)- although the nordica im in now couldnt be more uncomfortable yet i love them for performance but at end of last year i promised myself i wouldnt put my feet back in those boots- except for pond skimming events.

Sorry for confusion and thanks for updates- have tried on before- fit felt fine (for a race boot)- wont have time to demo- i know my foot takes well to a lange- was curious if 130/150 liner was too thin or stiff (lot of friends are going less stiff)- although the nordica im in now couldnt be more uncomfortable yet i love them for performance but at end of last year i promised myself i wouldnt put my feet back in those boots- except for pond skimming events.

Well, I'm not going to lie...the liner is thin and is very cold. Combine that with poor circulation causes me to use boot headers whenever its under 40 degrees. If you're willing to sacrifice a lot of comfort for performance, then I'd get them. If you like more comfort with similar performance, check out last years Banshee's or the RX130 this year.

Thanks for the response, i think i made up my mind that its worth it, for under $150 i cant not get them.

If you were comfortable in the ol Lange fit, the new

Ones will feel like slippers. For being a race boot, they're

Really not that uncomfortable at all, but jeff is right, the performance of the banshee pro or this years rx130 is almost on par with the wc120 and the liner is way more plush.

If you were comfortable in the ol Lange fit, the new

Ones will feel like slippers. For being a race boot, they're

Really not that uncomfortable at all, but jeff is right, the performance of the banshee pro or this years rx130 is almost on par with the wc120 and the liner is way more plush.

lol at slippers but old langes were brutal