2/25 Night TR

RootDKJ

Date(s) Skied: 2/25/10

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain

Conditions: Snowy. Not the powder day we were expecting...

Trip Report: I left NJ around 1 and I got to Blue around 2:30. It was snowing the whole ride over, but the roads were perfectly clear. The snow was...um, well inconsistent at best. Very grabby, soft and just plain old weird. I was hoping to find some nice pow bumps that I could blow through but that wasn't in the cards. After 3 runs, I decided that I wanted to grab another layer, so I walked out to the car and saw AtomicSkier and Toast booting up in the lot. One run later and I met them at the top of the 6 pack along with Kevin..

We really weren't thrilled at all about the conditions. If fact Toast was down right miserable. Jeff was the so optimistic however, and it payed off. We decided to take a run down Sidewinder Park for Kevin.'s last run and turned into the best run of the night. For some reason, the snow was better in the park, and there was still lots of untracked spots.

On our 2nd run down the park, I scored the only waist deep powder on the whole mountain. I was following AtomicSkier's line on the side of the trail, and all of a sudden the bottom gave out beneith me and I was waist deep in pow and came to a halt. As luck would have it Jeff just happened to turn around right before this happened and witnissed the whole thing.

On another run, I took a nice line on the skier's right on Sidewinder and wound up on one of the Mountain Bike trails. That was mad technicial and a ton of fun. I think Toast might have some Go-pro footage of that.

There was nice lines to be had on either side of the jump line and Toast found some nice action in the woods. We lapped the park about 6-7 runs in a row, and had noticed that the snow was changing over to a really nice packed powder. X-ing had some nice pow-crud-bumps to blow through and Chute was pretty good. I saw Gorgonzola absolutly ripping it down the Nightmare bumps. His exact words were "That was Fuxing Awesome"

It turned into a very good night at Blue and the ride home wasn't all that bad.

The drive up had some nice snow drifts. These were even bigger on the way home.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Sidewinder Park

IMG_0074.jpg

A not-so-happy Toast

IMG_0081.jpg

Toast and AtomicSkier

IMG_0087.jpg

Central Park

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

That's my line to the left of the Lift Tower

IMG_0090.jpg

Toast in a better mood :)

IMG_0095.jpg

Barney's Bumps on the left of Main Street

IMG_0096.jpg

Nightmare

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Paradise

IMG_0103.jpg

End of the night shot looking up the mountain.

IMG_0107.jpg

Oh...I just remembered about Toast's little run in with the Ski Patrol.

As Toast was skiing into the queue, a Redcoat on a snowboard got the tip of his board on the tails of Toast's skis and went down hard in the line. After he gets up, he proceeds to grab Toast's jacket to read him the Riot Act. AtomicSkier starts on the Redcoat about the simple assault he just committed and Toast had no clue what the dude was even talking about. Funny chit. Gotta love the Blue Mountain Ski Patrol. :rofl

Oh...I just remembered about Toast's little run in with the Ski Patrol.

As Toast was skiing into the queue, a Redcoat on a snowboard got the tip of his board on the tails of Toast's skis and went down hard in the line. After he gets up, he proceeds to grab Toast's jacket to read him the Riot Act. AtomicSkier starts on the Redcoat about the simple assault he just committed and Toast had no clue what the dude was even talking about. Funny chit. Gotta love the Blue Mountain Ski Patrol. :rofl

That patroller had the deer in the headlights look :rofl He not only grabbed his arm, but he almost pulled toast back. It was pretty forceful, and I let him know that that wasn't going to be tolerated.

And toast had the best line: "How is it my fault that your board got on top of my skis and hit my tails causing you to fall? That sounds like your fault"

Conditions weren't great but I always have fun skiing. I looked for Doug before Jeff and crew got there but didn't see him. Nice to meet Root & Toast for the first time. I got about four hours in and then hit the road because I knew it was going to be a long drive to Poughkeepsie - sounds like I left when I should have. I'll be up every thursday until Blue closes and staying longer than yesterday for sure.

Edited by Kevin.