Where to Ski in Germany

Switchsideskier.

Ski Germany

Your best bet is the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area. Still a solid 3 hours away from Nuremberg. If you go another hour you are within reach of Innsbruck area, St Anton am Arlberg, Solden, etc. Nuremburg has a great Christmas market - your arrival date might be a little late to see things in full swing. Enjoy!

Thanks! Ya I wish I could be there for christmas, but used up most of my vacation and personal and sick time this year, so I had to wait to leave till the 27th

You will love the Nuremburg area. If you don't get to ski don't sweat it. There is so much to do-train travel is preferred. Try to make stops in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber and Munchen if possible. They are nice day trips by train from Nuremburg. If you must ski-take a train to Munchen. There are ski trains to and from Austria e.g. Ski Arlberg - How to get there

Edited by NazarethSkier

Ski Germany

Your best bet is the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area. Still a solid 3 hours away from Nuremberg. If you go another hour you are within reach of Innsbruck area, St Anton am Arlberg, Solden, etc. Nuremburg has a great Christmas market - your arrival date might be a little late to see things in full swing. Enjoy!

Garmisch is the way to go normally but the Berchtesgaden is pretty fucking cool and not alot people ski there primarily because it's not Austria. Lots of cool history with the Eagle's Nest and shit like that plus the Jenner gondy and mountain top resturant are cool.

Jenner is on the way to Austria ....kinda...so that might be worth checking out.

Don't forget about Oberstdorf probably as good as Garmisch without some of the bullshit.

• Like 1

Awesome! My plane leaves December 27th from ABE to Washington, then Washington to Munich

Nurnberg is a really beautiful city with boatloads of history. Kristkindel market should still be up and running and ya gotta chow down on their local brats and sauerkraut. I'm already tasting the german beer in my mind, lol.

PS there's some pretty sweet deals for overseas flights if you do some homework.

Flight: Philadelphia to Frankfurt am Main

Traveler name: Michael xxxxxxx

Total ticket cost: $273.00

Taxes & Fees: $486.30

Airfare total: $759.30

Philadelphia (Philadelphia Intl.) to Frankfurt am Main (Frankfurt) 02/10/11 6:10 PM - 8:10 AM Lufthansa 427

Frankfurt am Main (Frankfurt) to Philadelphia (Philadelphia Intl.) 02/19/11 1:15 PM - 4:15 PM Lufthansa 426

Why limit yourself to Germany? You can get to Austria and Switzerland about as fast on the train from northern Germany. Someplaces in Austria and Switzerland maybe even faster. Check out the prices and the schedules. Have fun. Skiing in Europe is a different experience. The food and beer are about as important as the skiing.

Why limit yourself to Germany? You can get to Austria and Switzerland about as fast on the train from northern Germany. Someplaces in Austria and Switzerland maybe even faster. Check out the prices and the schedules. Have fun. Skiing in Europe is a different experience. The food and beer are about as important as the skiing.

I'm going with my dad (73 yo) and as a retired officer, he gets a sweet deal at the US hotel in Garmish. Plus, we are training to Munich. I haven't ruled out Austria, if he's up for the roadtrip. And I've skied Austria/Swissy/Italy as a kid, so I'm just happy to get over there and ski anywhere. I've gotta spend some time in the frankfurt area as well to visit with family so I have to split my time up.

I'm going with my dad (73 yo) and as a retired officer, he gets a sweet deal at the US hotel in Garmish. Plus, we are training to Munich. I haven't ruled out Austria, if he's up for the roadtrip. And I've skied Austria/Swissy/Italy as a kid, so I'm just happy to get over there and ski anywhere. I've gotta spend some time in the frankfurt area as well to visit with family so I have to split my time up.

Sounds like a good plan since you're seeing family as well. I used to work for a German company and went to Munich several times per year. I'm not much for tourist traps but the Hofbrahaus is an authentic brewhouse and is much nicer in winter when there aren't so many tourist around. Great place for meeting people from all over the world. Lot's of nice Christmas markets on and off the Maximilianstrasse pedestrian area. Have fun.

• 5 weeks later...

PICS!!!!

Have Camera, Snow expected on saturday, the locals tell me all I have to look out for is crevasses (sp?) "that's why they have lots of T-bars because they cant mount real chair lifts on the shifting ice..... ", will post pics sunday night or Monday.

Just spent the evening with the president of the worlds largest telecom network provider, drinking vodka and eating a lot of raw fish (think pickled herring rather than sushi), room is gently swaying but I wasn't the one puking in the snow......

• Like 1