Squaw Valley USA

RidgeRacer

Granite is all the way on the other side Just getting there will take you Damn near an hour. Squaw creek lift and ski down eazy street to julias gold then get on Kt-22 lift Trust me. The runs by Squaw creek lift are like Vt runs. Work your way to the other side. Headwall express to north bowl to gold coast express to emigrant ski the funnel and get to the prize that is granite chief. Lol.

At the base after skiing the entire vert (I think) from Sun bowl through some steep Chutes to some more steep stuff to some blue trails to the Olympic house. The ungroomed stuff off of sun bowl is nasty. It's hard and frozen ungroomed and really steep. It must have gotten soft yesterday then froze overnight. Im headed over to KT22 now. Hopefully It's softer up there.

Sorry for the continuous posts BTW. I'll forget stuff if I write a TR later. Here's a few photos off of sun bowl.

At the base after skiing the entire vert (I think) from Sun bowl through some steep Chutes to some more steep stuff to some blue trails to the Olympic house. The ungroomed stuff off of sun bowl is nasty. It's hard and frozen ungroomed and really steep. It must have gotten soft yesterday then froze overnight. Im headed over to KT22 now. Hopefully It's softer up there.

Sorry for the continuous posts BTW. I'll forget stuff if I write a TR later. Here's a few photos off of sun bowl.

Steep chute off of sun bowl..

post-264-0-04462100-1292180141_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-31642900-1292180261_thumb.jpg

Finished up a few hours ago with ride up the KT 22 lift to saddle down some crazy steep stuff on KT. The frozen crud made it even more challenging. KT is a few thousand vert of the elevator and steeper. After that I rode up the funitel...skied down to the siberia express lift. Rode that back up to siberia ridge. Took the ridge down siberia bowl to mountain run to the base. I was thinking about making it over granite chief but my legs were done. I rode the red dog lift to the snow king peak and from there took a real long run that reminded me of the Wilmington trail at WF to the bottom. According to phreesheez I skied 13.6 miles total and 2.1 miles of vert.

Pics below of KT 22s peak and siberia ridge

post-264-0-05144400-1292197385_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-52613400-1292197543_thumb.jpg

Edited by PA Ridge Racer

Welcome to Tahoe, it's wierd to hear about other PASR's out "here", especially when I am over in europe, riding in Austria this weekend. Seems like you are finding your way around well, but make sure you get over to Granite Chief next day out. Especially if the snow isn't fresh, the aspect and slope of granite chief always seems to provide nice surface quality, especially compared to KT-22 which is often hard and icy as is siberia bcause they get baked by the sun and then re-freeze.

Welcome to Tahoe, it's wierd to hear about other PASR's out "here", especially when I am over in europe, riding in Austria this weekend. Seems like you are finding your way around well, but make sure you get over to Granite Chief next day out. Especially if the snow isn't fresh, the aspect and slope of granite chief always seems to provide nice surface quality, especially compared to KT-22 which is often hard and icy as is siberia bcause they get baked by the sun and then re-freeze.

Forgot you were out there. I'm thinking of coming out for a few days late January or mid Feb.

Forgot you were out there. I'm thinking of coming out for a few days late January or mid Feb.

Based on "local knowledge" that's usually the best time for early snow, but this year has been a very big start so who knows what happens now. Have you thought about where you would go?

You're lucky to live out here. People seem pretty easy going which I could get used to.

Thanks for the tip. Granite chief is on the list today. Someone told me last night that it was closed but I seemed to know the trail map better than him so I'll investigate in a few hours. The plan is to start there then ski siberia again (which was the run of the day yesterday) and eventually work my way back to snow king. A lot of KT was roped off due to the hard conditions yesterday.

Edited by PA Ridge Racer

Based on "local knowledge" that's usually the best time for early snow, but this year has been a very big start so who knows what happens now. Have you thought about where you would go?

Nope...have never researched the Lake Tahoe, just saw on FareCompare that I can do an awesome mileage run to Reno for cheap ($258 r/t out of ABE), and figured I'd ski while I was out there :)