USSA Search page

Papasteeze

OK --  Now I can see clearly...  So which is the best area to live in for ski racers. Vail Valley,  Tahoe, Park City, Burlington?  Where would you pick if you had a free ticket?

Since I live where every race is a major undertaking, I would say either Vermont or Colorado. You want an area where a whole lot of great ski areas are all within driving distance. I am actually leaning towards New England over the west for racing, since so many ski academies are up there. The west has better snow, but we all know racers want ice, not snow. And there are more people up in New England packed closer together, too, so you have critical mass.

Where I am has great snow (normally) and a great hill, but the closest team to us is 2.5 to 3 hours south. Some of the race venues are ten hours away. Some involve flying. Our expenses quintupled when we moved out here, a good chunk of which was just lodging and driving.

Other reasons for increased costs:

more intense training beginning with dryland four days a week in the fall, then four or more days a week of on snow training once the season gets going.

more skis needed for more events

higher race fees for FIS races

more races in general

At some point those ski academy prices look like not that much over what you are paying anyway! Plus, the better the kid gets, the more school they miss, so you need an understanding school that will work with you. Most won't, hence the ski academy.

Ok - I think I understand this.  If you are a 14 yr old and under Junior ski racer, you aint s--t (in the racing communitys' eyes) if you are not racing USSA courses. If you race nothing but USSA races you never know where you rate/rank unless you ski where?

So - a kid skis his heart out at his little home mountain going to a few state or regional races, does well but then he/she and his parents find out that when they are 14 that you still are at the bottom of the point list? There is no ranking, no point list, no nothing to shoot at?

Ok I think I am learning how this works. whether or not I agreee with it, I can guarantee this. We won't be traipsing all over the country to race in scoreless races. We will just find tough courses and compatible coaches.

Are there even any recognitions for winning 14 yr and under race? Bragging really seems to be looked down upon. So bragging rights aren't cool in ski racing, what is? The competition and fun we had at PC will be unforgettable - Does the USSA program have anything to compare to that?

25755[/snapback]

Wait, ThinkSnow, I haven't beat the horse yet!

Rob, J3/4/5 kids all have Derby (an old fashion term meaning State Championship) in PA. Top finishers from Derby move on to post-season races in New England.

Speaking as a soccer and baseball coach, bragging will get you a lap as far as I'm concerned. I'm not really sure in what sport bragging would be appropriate to teach a kid.

The USSA system has an amazingly fair scoring method. There are no golden days, per say. Every point dropped is earned. 'Dude and Sib's daughter can travel anywhere in the US and know how they'll stack up.

As to where the best junior racers are, they are spread out at the racing academies. Holderness, CVA, GMVA, and any of the other schools where kids are getting the top coaching seven days a week. The competition level has risen so high that a kid can no longer attend a public high school and hope to make the US Ski Team, according to Head Coach Bill Marolt and the CVA Headmaster.

As Sib points out, the thousands of USSA kids are all fighting for a chance to get an FIS start bib. FIS races are overseen by the International Ski Federation and have there own point profile, which gives kids world rankings. There are different divisions of FIS races (University, World Cup B, Citizen, etc), with FIS World Cup being the "major league" of FIS. Sib's daughter toiled for hundreds of hours in freezing obscurity for the honor of being handed her FIS start bibs. The charcter she built on that lonely journey will be with her forever. And no matter how pissy her mom gets toward me, her daughter's accomplishments have my deepest respect.

USSA mirrors the rules and the point system of the FIS. Our own Missy was a victim of this when she was forced onto skis that were too long, I'm afraid.

Suggesting that USSA should adopt a scoring system like NASTAR's would be like asking the NBA to adopt gymn class dodgeball rules.

And no matter how pissy her mom gets toward me, her daughter's accomplishments have my deepest respect.

I think we go a long time between pissing matches.... The only ones I remember were about waxing and skidude/NASTAR.

Let the bitching match begin?

Haha just kidding.

Ski999, just remember there is nothing like good trash talking right before a race, to get you and your team ready to go ;)

25839[/snapback]

I'm thinking this is a guy thing.

Ok - now I am confused and somewhat bewildered. The US has more people with more slopes with more programs but yet doesn't consistently produce top standing Bode(s) why is that? It seems that there are plenty of passionate skiers and coaches, what are we missing, or what is it the Europeans are doing better. To me, something seems to be fundamentally flawed when someone like Bode who I have heard "operates outside of the system" excels to the top this year.

Well next year is going to be a zinger... Thank you everyone for your insight and observations. They are really really helpful.

Ok - now I am confused and somewhat bewildered.  The US has more people with more slopes with more programs but yet doesn't consistently produce top standing Bode(s) why is that?  It seems that there are plenty of passionate skiers and coaches, what are we missing, or what is it the Europeans are doing better.  To me, something seems to be fundamentally flawed when someone like Bode who I have heard "operates outside of the system" excels to the top this year.

Well next year is going to be a zinger...  Thank you everyone for your insight and observations.  They are really really helpful.

25843[/snapback]

Skiing is the #1 sport in countries such as Austria. Hermann Maier would have played football if he'd been an American. Benji Raich would have been a second baseman. Eberharter would have been a point guard. Instead, all the top athletes are enrolled in their national ski academy.

That's exactly the point I was going to make. After all, we all agreed that Bode is an all around athlete. The MONEY in the US is not in skiing. Sure, he's got some great endorsement contracts, but nothing compared to some football hero.

• 4 months later...
Since I live where every race is a major undertaking, I would say either Vermont or Colorado.  You want an area where a whole lot of great ski areas are all within driving distance.  I am actually leaning towards New England over the west for racing, since so many ski academies are up there.  The west has better snow, but we all know racers want ice, not snow.  And there are more people up in New England packed closer together, too, so you have critical mass. 

At some point those ski academy prices look like not that much over what you are paying anyway!  Plus, the better the kid gets, the more school they miss, so you need an understanding school that will work with you.  Most won't, hence the ski academy.

25831[/snapback]

Reviving this thread since I needed a refresher on academies/private schools.

Does any one know a school that has strong and equal focus in both disciplines, Freestyle and Racing. I noticed Squaw Valley. However Steven said he would be more comfortable with a school here in the east rather than the other side of the country. Ridge? He is so layed back, I don't think he cares one way or another. I thought I would narrow our search down by asking the question on here first. The idea is to keep the brothers together.

Reviving this thread since I needed a refresher on academies/private schools.

Does any one know a school that has strong and equal focus in both disciplines, Freestyle and Racing.  I noticed Squaw Valley. However Steven said he would be more comfortable with a school here in the east rather than the other side of the country.  Ridge? He is so layed back, I don't think he cares one way or another. I thought I would narrow our search down by asking the question on here first.  The idea is to keep the brothers together.

32984[/snapback]

I believe stratton has a good academy near it for freestyle, and i wouldn't be suprised if they had some good racing as well. Their race course is open early every year.

I believe stratton has a good academy near it for freestyle, and i wouldn't be suprised if they had some good racing as well. Their race course is open early every year.

32985[/snapback]

If I remember right, Stratton is off the scale pricewise - 60k total for 2 boys - no freakin way can I pay that.

i wish my parents would send me to an academy.

33000[/snapback]

I am just gathering future information, sort of like a fact finding misssion. There is no way at this time that long distance private school will happen. However, if Ridge continues to excel the way he did last season, only this time, through the USSA ranks, well then...... In that event, I would like to be prepared since a lot of these schools fill up early.