1/5/11

Justin

vibe of the day.....meh

rolled up at 10:30. sugar shit snow with ice below, PA delight. crowds were existent but mostly due to the six pack constantly stopping all day. VIP line had some moustache guy right at the front but it seemed like he was doing nothing to enforce anything.

sidewinder is kinda bunk all around. disappointed. jumps are nice but I feel like they rushed the rails big time, especially up top. many completely useless features and the ones that were non-circus need some work. with what I saw early season I had high hopes and was let down. lips absolutely sucked, they were skinny and typical blue mountain meth groomed. dfd lip was like a foot wide. I have faith in them fixing it though, sidewinder was up early and the jumps are pretty money so I can't really complain all too much.

jump line was the best thing all day. first jump has nice pop and the next two are mellow. for once, I was able to hit all three without skipping or sitting on my tails. landings were deep and wide...a few times when I was in the air I forgot I was at blue mountain. took a few quite far past the knuckle and lived so I'm impressed.

lets fix the rail situation and make sidewinder fun top to bottom. maybe get some flat features in there. it needs some more progressive features that you can actually learn/try tricks on.....if they would put some normal shit up top it would help get some flow down for the jumps.

I'm also gonna think that Justins description of conditions are gonna be worse than most cause he spent the past 2 winters in Colorado and he skis on slow ass park skis with no edges...they de tune edges for rails..

I was about to head over. Now I'm thinking I'll pass because I have to be in Downingtown at 9am tomorrow.

you ski anything besides the park?

no.

sidewinder was pretty horrible at parts with the sugar. like almost boot deep. bottom of lazy was the same, so was LS and falls was chunky...I can imagine everywhere else not being much different. from the lift it looked like challenge and razors were all chunked up too. I heard some lady with a pink wig on the lift complain about the dust over crust. soooo there you go.

I was up this morning and had a different opinion. I left by 11 so maybe things began to deteriorate, but I was thinking that the conditions were real nice today. Granted, I was on brand new tuned race skis so I didn't have a problem digging into the snow.

They groomed over the bumps on Main Street so the trail is real wide. IMO, make the bumps on Challenge and leave Main Street wide open. Props to the guy today who was going inverted on the last feature on Sidewinder. He was getting lots of comments from the lift. For anyone interested in the first NASTAR race tomorrow, they are grooming Finish Line and it looks like they are trying to build up a bit more pitch. It's still hard to tell, and I'm not sure where they are going to put the starting gate yet, but sadly, it looks like the tubing track is more difficult than the NASTAR course this year.

So come on out and enjoy the mountain, the conditions are fine.

yeah I talked to him late last season on the lift about the Disney thing...I just remember 4-5 years ago rodeo steve used to do backflips off the smallest features..does Blue have any sponsored skiers and riders? If they don't it wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd put a Blue mountain patch on my fleece.. :wiggle

No, they don't.

Guess just having the "BMRT" Blue Mt Race Team is good enough for Blue the true.

I was up this morning and had a different opinion. I left by 11 so maybe things began to deteriorate, but I was thinking that the conditions were real nice today. Granted, I was on brand new tuned race skis so I didn't have a problem digging into the snow.

They groomed over the bumps on Main Street so the trail is real wide. IMO, make the bumps on Challenge and leave Main Street wide open. Props to the guy today who was going inverted on the last feature on Sidewinder. He was getting lots of comments from the lift. For anyone interested in the first NASTAR race tomorrow, they are grooming Finish Line and it looks like they are trying to build up a bit more pitch. It's still hard to tell, and I'm not sure where they are going to put the starting gate yet, but sadly, it looks like the tubing track is more difficult than the NASTAR course this year.

So come on out and enjoy the mountain, the conditions are fine.

I got there at around 1, and it wasn't horrible. Sugar was getting piled up in spots, but I had my Premier F-1 (big mountain missile), and it pretty much blasted through it all. I was having more problems with the flat light and shadows more than the snow. Widowmaker to the Chute was pretty untouched and nice.

I was thinking the same thing, "Does the Sun every shine on the face of Blue." That flat light is a killer. I figured it got Sunnier in the afternoon; I guess not. It must be the Sun angle.

I think it has a lot to do with the sun angle mixed with the shadows all the tall trees cast, but who knows.

I was looking for you today, but must've just missed you.

rolled up just before 5 with mrs snowbunski and the sl skis. lotta turns, challenge and switchback were smooth and fast, everything else was scraped off or sugar coated. legs got tired and skis got sketchy real fast, looked for root but didn't see him so we headed to the bar for some long trail ipa's and a blt after 8 runs.

You love that sun..lol..

Blue is north facing so this time of year it's hardly in the sun..and yesterday it wasn't that sunny like 60+ percent cloudcover..it would be cool if they built some runs on the backside..then you could work on your goggle tan but I don't think they own that land..

Would be cool, unfortunately it would be difficult to keep backside trails covered in snow with the sun beating down on them all the time.

Natural lighting gets better towards spring as the sun gets higher in the sky.

Night skiing also provides some pretty good lighting too, since the lights provide more coverage than sun.