Frost 1-9-2011

JFskiDan

conditions were really nice today, as i was somewhat put off by saturdays less than stellar conditions, imo. Either they blew snow all over the mountain, or there was a nice burst of snow last night. really nice powder to be found on the mountain. Challenge was closed due to some racing type event, so i didnt get a chance to run down challenge glade at all. Headed over to east mt. to make a few runs before meeting up with PA Ridge Racer. i was plesently suprised as to how much powder was spread throughout the trails. the elevator really had some nice deep powder in it on the right side. i think the wind was blowing enough to deposit it nicely there. skiers right on the elevator is really nice, lots of powder, but you can still find a few rocks mixed in. in between e-glade and elevator is coming around too, a little more snow and it will be prime. since challenge was closed i headed over to one park glade, where they were setting up so ropes to close one park off also, for some type of competition. i managed a few runs down through there before i met up with PA Ridge Racer. One park glade had alot of nice fresh in it, with a feew spots scraped off. met up with PA Ridge Racer as they were putting up the rope to close off one park. we headed over to east mountain to ride the elevator. we stopped to check out risk it, but it looks pretty dicey....kinda just one way down since there are a lot of snow boulders pushed in there. got in about 8 runs or so with Dom and called it quits at about 1 pm. Good snow day.

2 elevator shots of Dom under really cloudy skies.

post-1753-0-09067400-1294613691_thumb.jpg

post-1753-0-67785700-1294613709_thumb.jpg

JAHHDIP

Got to Frost about 1:30 for an afternoon session with the family and before the Eagles game. Slalom race going on on Challenge, and the glade was closed also. Did Floyds, Elevator a couple of times before heading over to Thunderbolt. Ran Tbolt glade, but it was still pretty scratchy. One park glade was in great shape. Groomers had icy spots but the edges were nice. Exhibition moguls are getting a little shallow but still a good workout for your knees.

C glade opened up around 2:30, and still had freshy areas since no one skied it due to the race - far right is skiable now - had a great couple of runs.

Risk It waiting for someone else to run it.

.5340266942_30fba6e3c2_z.jpg

if you can get to Blue for opening, that will be the place to be. if not, hit frost.

I agree - its rare you get decent snow at Blue - got to enjoy it while it is there. :naughty

By the way, quit breaking the curve on the Phresheez ratings. :banghead

No bumps on Floyds (not a big fan of bumps on Floyds anyway), just beginner bumps on Exhibition, a blue trail.

Edited by C1er

I agree - its rare you get decent snow at Blue - got to enjoy it while it is there. :naughty

By the way, quit breaking the curve on the Phresheez ratings. :banghead

No bumps on Floyds (not a big fan of bumps on Floyds anyway), just beginner bumps on Exhibition, a blue trail.

I actually enjoy low angle bumps. Wish more places did this. Great way to improve technique.

Blue would be preferable due to shorter ride but I like JF with fresh snow due to the liberal ski anywhere policy and the only tree skiing in the Pocs. I'll let the 9-year old son make the call but he likes bumps, which is why I asked.

I was at JF yesterday. First time in 6 yrs. Had a CBSlocal $25.00 ticket and yesterday was a good time to use it and still get home for the Eagles game. Skied 9:00 to 2:30. Nice conditions and no crowds. They must have gotten some snow Saturday night. It snowed a little in the morning as well. Ran into a friend who's son races for CB but I wish Challenge was open as it is one of my favorite trails at JF. Did the One Park glade and it was nice but the C glade looked much better. Here's pic of the bumps on Exhibition. Couldn't find a good line but then I'm not much of a bump skier.

4d2a8892485e0.jpg

I left boulder at 2:15 and headed to frost. Checked in with my soon to be boss about this weekend then headed to ski. First off the snow at boulder was much nicer, of course it was late in the day and more than likely saw more skiers traffic. I headed down t_bolt to the glade then down to east mtn lift. Made a run down lightning to river shot which was icy in spots. Next run was the elevator which was hardpack but nevertheless a blast. Took telstar to floyds which was really scraped off. At that point I went over to challenge glade which was in really good shape for being after 3pm . Made my virgin run down love park glade which was r.o.t.d. $$$$$ Made a run down challenge then exhibition which I appreciate more now than in years past. Final run was down exhibition once again. Was nice to be back home.