Gore- 1-12-11

owenskier

well what can I say about this first day, but wow! Woke up at 7, looked out the window and saw at least 6-7 inches piled up (they were only supposed to get 2 overnight, so i was stoked) Left my hotel at like 7:45 from lake george and got to Gore at 845, a little bit later then i wanted, but the roads were a mess. Luckily no traffic. Gave the ticket people our coca cola item and got our 38 dollar ticket, nice!! Took the first ride up the gondola, and our first 3 or 4 runs were an untracked 7-8 inches of nice powder. Did a bunch of blues to start the day, then took a few runs up to the summit on the slow quad they have- not complaining. The mountain overall is not too challenging but they do have some nice steep moguled up black runs, but today was just nice cause it snowed all day and they probably picked up another 5-6 inches during the day. So the skiing was nice all day, and they didnt groom any of the trails like PA does after they get a storm, so powder everywhere the whole day, and liftlines were never longer than 30 seconds. At lunch grabbed a nice chicken finger basket from the cafeteria, along with the double chocolate brownie! Went back out and did a bunch more runs- overall we probably got in 15-20 runs from the different lifts that were running. Tomorrow will be using my free ticket from warren miller movie and i'm sure will be nice packed powder all day tomorrow!!

skied again today- totally wish burnt ridge was open- seems like it might be opening up soon. Also, didnt take many pictures- snow yesterday and windy today, so I just wanted to ski and not worry about it. Today was very windy with wind swept powder/ice. But all in all another good day. Left at 2 and drove back down to bethlehem. Would definitely go again, but would wait for more trails to be open. Coca cola wednesday at 38 bucks and free today with warren miller freebies!!

skied again today- totally wish burnt ridge was open- seems like it might be opening up soon. Also, didnt take many pictures- snow yesterday and windy today, so I just wanted to ski and not worry about it. Today was very windy with wind swept powder/ice. But all in all another good day. Left at 2 and drove back down to bethlehem. Would definitely go again, but would wait for more trails to be open. Coca cola wednesday at 38 bucks and free today with warren miller freebies!!

In truth Steeze, Gore is probably a very similar distance to some of the VT mountains... If you look at a map, Gore and Killington are almost directly across from one another, and since Killington is accessed by several 65 mph highways while many of the roads to Gore after getting off 87 are 55 or slower, the times are also very similar. Gore has a different variety of terrain than Killington, and has a much more laid back feel. They definitely aren't nearly as sold out, but are more of a large day trip mountain. It is not a resort, so it doesnt have any on mountain amenities. They do have a couple really good groomers and some excellent glades, but they are farther west, so they miss out on most of the coastal Nor Easters (more lake effect though), and they do not have a real powerful snowmaking system. It would be like comparing Belleayre to Hunter. That being said, if you hit it on the right day, it can have great snow, good trails, and good fun. You just won't know for sure until you give it a try...

how did you like Gore compared to Vermont? I've never been there..seems like too far to drive when Vermont is just another hour or so..

Gore averages more natural snowfall than Whiteface..

I did enjoy gore, but i think i would have liked it more if everything was open. It wasnt too bad of a drive up- only 4 hours to lake george (where we stayed) and then about 30-45 minutes to gore from there- which is a pain cause i just wanted to get there and ski, but thats how it is cause there arent any hotels worth staying at near gore, plus theres no where to eat around gore. The main reason we went there was because we scored a couple of free passes, but I think I would rather drive further and head up to sugarbush, stowe, or smugglers notch. The trails there are steeper and to me the snow is better. But it sure was ncie skiing in powder on wednesday.

Yeah, seriously... Where are the pics? This wouldn't happen if I had been to Gore... Especially with my snazzy newish camera lol

Yeah, my bad- i only took like 3 pictures, shouldve pulled the camera out and snapped a few more, but ill keep the memories.

• 2 weeks later...

I only skied at Gore once. It was on Friday April 18, 2008. The Catskill areas were all closed, Belleayre, Hunter and Windham. I did it as a day trip and it took me 4 hours to get there. It was a nice ride in along the rugged Adirondack Mountain portion of the upper Hudson River. Even passed a whitewater place along the isolated Hudson River up near Gore. Anyways that day it was super sunny and a hot 70 degrees. Their were a lot of trails open and it skied awesome for warm spring conditions. Gore is a big mountain... in fact the upper peak is hidden from view from the bottom. You ride up the Gondola and once you get off you look over and see the upper peak and it is awesome... The upper peak has it's own quad chairlift and 2 true double diamonds off that upper peak, Rumours and Lies, both very very very very steep. Also several other easier trails off that upper peak. Also from the top of Gore you get an awesome view of the High Peaks like Mount Marcy and Whiteface.

Anyways I would really like to get back to Gore someday and It is definately worth checking out.