Tuesday 1/18/11 Weather Watch

Ride Delaware ?

Storm is still a little ways out, but it would appear that another winter storm will be gracing us with its presence. Unfortunately, it would appear that this storm will be drawing more warm air down than the last storm and will be mostly an interior event opposed to the coastal event we saw earlier this week. It also appears that there will be a decent amount of ice in parts of Pennsylvania and Eastern New England. However, NEPA, the skillz, the Greens, and the Whites could see substantial snowfall depending on when the coastal low links up with the front coming out of Canada. Right now there are no solid snowfall estimations, but I am considering delaying my meeting on Tuesday to come up into NE to catch some freshies if the storm intensifies. If they post some solid snowfall predictions, I may make it happen (even though I am going to K-Mart the 25th-28th). With the snowfall from this last storm being groomed down and packed down, it should make for a decent base for additional snowfall. Lets see what happens...

I've been looking at a bunch of the NWS and TWC forecasts, and most of them have snow with a small amount of wintry mix. I havent seen any possible snowfall totals yet. Told the bosses about possibly moving the meeting Tuesday and they seemed agreeable, so if a good amount is supposed to fall, then I will be there... Early forecasts seem to say at least 7 inches, but I'm thinking I may need a foot or 18" to really persuade me...

my wife

heyyy-ooooo!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.......

on a more serious note, this ones gonna be close for LV and north....hopefully some snow then mix/ice/rain....ice sucks. there could be a few inches behind this one (insert Angry Hugo reply here) midweek, then a chance for something late week.

Looks like it is going to be mostly a mix event even down into the Southern Green Mountains... Looks like Central VT and NH should be an all snow event... The good thing is that it will finally be a base building snow... Even in places such as Killington and Stowe, where they are having good snow years so far, they haven't really had much base building snow... All of the snow that has fallen has been blower pow that has been during or right before a major holiday period... And even then, it hasn't been followed by a warmup which means there is little ice or hardpack... Most of this new snow has been going straight on the ground and has been easy to scrape off straight to dirt... If it continues to stay cold (which they are expecting), then this is really going to set the Northeast up very well... Especially with the possibility of another decent snow on Friday...

I'm just seeing reports of a dusting off this one so far.

A little more than a dusting in some places Moe...

Stowe has received 40 inches of snowfall in the past week..I heard it's skiing really good..

Yeah, if your getting lake effect pounded with a real storm thrown in there, I am sure it is tough to find the bottom, but I have heard that a real good base building storm with a little higher moisture content would set up the natural for the rest of the season...

Looks like it is going to be mostly a mix event even down into the Southern Green Mountains... Looks like Central VT and NH should be an all snow event... The good thing is that it will finally be a base building snow... Even in places such as Killington and Stowe, where they are having good snow years so far, they haven't really had much base building snow... All of the snow that has fallen has been blower pow that has been during or right before a major holiday period... And even then, it hasn't been followed by a warmup which means there is little ice or hardpack... Most of this new snow has been going straight on the ground and has been easy to scrape off straight to dirt... If it continues to stay cold (which they are expecting), then this is really going to set the Northeast up very well... Especially with the possibility of another decent snow on Friday...

Have you been to KMart lately? I was there last weekend. The entire mountain was ice. Until this past weekend it was warm all day, cold all night. Frozen.

Stowe has received 40 inches of snowfall in the past week..I heard it's skiing really good..

The trails with snowmaking are great, but the natural trails are very scratchy. So are the woods. Its snowing a light snow here now, maybe 2" so far. Not helping the base building effort any. Forecast says it might mix up with sleet later, but it's also super cold on the mountain (about 15F) so who knows. Chicken blt for lunch in case anyone was wondering.

• Like 1

Tomorrow I'll start another storm watch for Friday... Just like this one, I saw reports all over the map, but with this "base" down, if it snows like they are saying it COULD (not will), then it could be a good time on Friday... Might have to head up, but I have another one of those pesky meetings...