Looking for an Elk Update March 2011

Ride Delaware ?

I am hoping to get up there on a weekend in the next few weeks. Any of the locals know what the plans are? I know that night skiing ends this weekend and the Spring Carnival is the 19th, but will that be the end of the season this year? They have lost some terrain from the nair and warm weather, but are they still blowing snow? In years past I have seen them blow until the end of the 3rd week... Any of you guys hearing any rumors around the mountain? Thanks!!!

was up yesterday and it was a great day. conditions were really good... mostly packed powder, some actual loose snow on seneca. a few of the trails were closed (lehigh, iriquois, tunkasomething) and chippewa's bumps were unrideable (for me), they were crusty ice. but everything else was great. no crowd, i think there was one time that we didn't ride straight into the lift all day.

also they have a really awesome chicken sandwich.

it was really nice. they still have a boat load of snow. Elk would absolutley positively be the shit in PA if they had Frost's liberal skiing policy......so much could be had in the trees. the plan was to scope out something worthwhile before we had to leave, but ended up leaving sooner than planned. Good day though.

Still lots of snow up there. We got there early and it was hardpack and really freaking fast. I was rockin the Atomic Snoops (not the greatest carving ski) wishing I was on my PEs while Dan was making effortless turns on his PEs. On one run down susquehanna, I felt like I was going at a pretty good clip, only to watch a brown blur that was Dan ski past me.

After a some fast runs early on, I hit tunkhannok's ice bumps only to bail onto lackawanna. I was surprised to see bumps on mohawk and which we skied and were icy as well. Unfortunately we had to call it a day shortly thereafter as I had a family emergency and had to leave. JFskidan who is a 100% class act and a great friend completely understood (I drove). Still skied most of the mt though. Pics below.

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

Edited by Ridge Racer

'twas a good empty day at elk. Snow was super fast hardpack but very edgeable. It may have been my last day of the season. I still have a 2 for 1 voucher for JF I haven't used yet so I may make one more trip up next weekend if. I really would like to get in a shorts and t shirt day if it warms up. I love spring snow. Maybe I'll go to CB for alien day or something.

I'll keep you all updated, but Afroman7 and I are considering a jaunt into PA/NY, and I just called the mountain this morning. The guy that answered the phone said that "as of now no closing date has been set. Conditions are good and we should have a definitive answer by later today or early tomorrow. Right now I'd say there is a real good chance we will be open Sunday." Elk is notorious for closing on a Saturday to have their passholder party on Sunday. That being said, could we see Elk make it to next weekend? We should know by tomorrow...

I'll keep you all updated, but Afroman7 and I are considering a jaunt into PA/NY, and I just called the mountain this morning. The guy that answered the phone said that "as of now no closing date has been set. Conditions are good and we should have a definitive answer by later today or early tomorrow. Right now I'd say there is a real good chance we will be open Sunday." Elk is notorious for closing on a Saturday to have their passholder party on Sunday. That being said, could we see Elk make it to next weekend? We should know by tomorrow...

From the Elk Conditions Page:

Comments: Spring Carnival is on Sat., March 19! Elk will remain open thru Sunday, March 20! Elk will be closed Mon., Mar. 21 thru Thurs., Mar. 24, & POSSIBLY reopen for Fri., Mar. 25 & Sat., Mar. 26! Please check for updates on Wed., Mar. 23!