Record Snow at Tahoe Resorts

trackbiker

Flew into Reno from Vegas last Saturday night. Was watching the weather all week and while the Lake Tahoe areas got hammered with 158" of snow over the previous week, they also got hammered with wind. Up to 65 mph at the summits.

I got up early Sunday with plans to ski Mt. Rose because it's close to Reno and I had to stop and rent skis. For some reason I could not get internet service on my BB but there was no wind in Reno. I headed to the rental shop and they told me that MT. Rose was still on wind hold. They checked all the other areas and the only one that was 100% open was Nortstar at Tahoe. They said Northstar is the place to go when it's windy because it is sheltered from the winds. Northstar was the last place on my list but it was the only choice.

They have the fake village thing going but it's a really, really nice fake village. Conditions were wind hardened powder, a few inches of soft powder, packed powder on a soft base, to broken up wind blown powder depending on where you were on the mountain. Winds were from 35 mph at the top to calm on the front. The Backside was the most windy but the winds weren't bad at all once you got 1/3 of the way down. What looks like chunks in the pics was the broken up windblown powder that just crumbled into powder when you hit it. All in all a great day. Weather was sun and clouds. When it was cloudy it was snowing. I'll let the pictures tell the rest. I never saw so much snow in my life!

4d901257ea912.jpg

They had a little snow

4d90149baf5d7.jpg

Sugar Pine Glade

4d9015375a38b.jpg

Powder Bowl Trail

4d90156b89849.jpg

Lookout Mountain Lift Line

4d90151022da8.jpg

Tonni's Trail

4d9015ea7a0b1.jpg

Washoe Trail

Since I had already bought a discount ticket at the hotel on Sunday morning I headed to Mt. Rose on Monday. Mt. Rose originally had opened with just the lower beginner trails open on Sunday but ended up closing. It was the complete opposite on Monday. Blue sky day, no wind, and no crowds. Some clouds did drift over the mountain but not for long. Got a sunburn on my nose and between my hat and goggles. Don't forget the suntan lotion when you go out west. Only took me 30 minutes from Reno including a stop for coffee. I didn't realize that I could see Mt. Rose from my hotel window until I could see my hotel from Mt. Rose. All the tall mountains out there have slides that look like ski trails. Was glad to see that chains weren't required on Rt. 431, Mt. Rose Hwy., on the way up. I gave a thumbs up sign to the road crew when I passed them. That must a gnarly road when it snows.

Skied every trail except for some glades and the Chutes. I did ski up to the Chutes and looked over. That is the closest thing I've seen to a cliff on lift served terrain. Wanted to try one but I was skiing alone without a helmet. There are no double black diamonds when the snow is that soft.

4d916e51450c2.jpg

At 9700' you are literally skiing in the clouds

4d916eb407812.jpg

View of Lake Tahoe From Upper Ramsey Trail

4d916f4062734.jpg

View of the Chutes

4d916fd735b0e.jpg

Wild Side Glades

4d916fa1c0f0d.jpg

View of the Winters Creek Base Area

4d916ee165147.jpg

View from Winters Creek Lodge

4d916fbe1b63a.jpg

View of Glades from the Blazing Zephyr Lift

• Like 1

Sierra at Tahoe was fun this past weekend, sorry no pics 'cos neither me nor me kids took a camera. Next weekend we will be back in the North Lake area.

Anyone wanting some "spring" conditions will be happy out here right now. Despite the huge dump last week, the base is rock solid due to some warm days and cold(ish) nights. It took all afternoon for the off trail areas to soften enough to ride.

The base is massive though, so the season should run for many more weeks and there are even some storms in the long range forecast :D

Even late in my second season out here I still find it amazing that I can be sat out on the deck having a beer/glass of wine in 70-80 degree sunny weather deciding where to ski tomorrow and knowing the conditions will be really good no matter where you go.

B)

Oh, and GSS, you better start the snow dance early because pre-christmas conditions can be a real coin-toss. Northstar will be open but it could either be 5 feet of powder or 18" of man made and only a few trails.

Yeah Timeless. I told my parents the week before Christmas is really early for anywhere out west. Anyway it's a free trip..(I might pay for lift tickets)...mainly to hang out with my new niece and bro in laws family. With my Mom booking flights I know well probably fly Southwest or some BS.

Southwest is actually one of the better airlines these days, despite the cabin rupture. They are one of the only airlines to not charge for baggage so you don't have every person on the plane carrying their luggage on including "Suzie Q", on her once in a lifetime vacation, trying to stuff every piece of clothing she has ever owned into the overhead compartment. :rolleyes:

They also count two pieces of ski baggage as one. Just make sure you check in online to get an early boarding number.

I'm flying SW to Utah later this month and will be taking my ski equipment because it won't cost me $50.00 each way ($100.00 total) when I can rent for 2 days for $40.00.

The village at Northstar is really nice. You'll have a good time and, either way, the skiing will be better than that time of year in PA.