Light @ the end of the Tunnel

the couple times I skied in October I enjoyed it..so you've been taking first aid classes for ski patrol??

Most ski patrol's do not except WFR, essentially its a EMT-B type training they are looking for....Though who knows at some of the the smaller hills....god damn is that scary.

WFR is great and essentially if you spend time in the woods.

Most ski patrol's do not except WFR, essentially its a EMT-B type training they are looking for....Though who knows at some of the the smaller hills....god damn is that scary.

WFR is great and essentially if you spend time in the woods.

I have done my research... Most resorts take EMT or OEC... I will work on one of those next off season (probably EMT since OEC is not offered anywhere near where I live)... All Boyne resorts, Sugarbush, and Killington (from the ones I have checked) will take WFR... Boyne will not train you... If you decide on Killington, they will actually get you an OEC course... Thats what I've got so far... I'd be pretty happy anywhere in the Northeast... Yes, all resorts aren't created equal... But if it goes well this year, maybe next year I will explore other options... It would be easier to score a job somewhere else (MRV/Stowe/Jay) if I had some experience...

But to answer your question Doug, I am taking some classes at the end of August, and if I complete them successfully, then I will be certified for WFR... I haven't checked Delaware yet, but many states actually allow you to qualify for the EMT test with a WFR certification...

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

On another note I definitely wouldn't want a snowboarder pulling me in a sled..

I saw a boarder ski patroller toting a sled for the first time at Killington this year... I rode up with a girl who said that they actually make you qualify in either snowboarding or skiing, even if you are cross discipline... Doesn't look like fun, and I can't imagine doing it on moguls, but I'm sure I'll figure it out quickly...

All Boyne resorts, Sugarbush, and Killington (from the ones I have checked) will take WFR... Boyne will not train you... If you decide on Killington, they will actually get you an OEC course... Thats what I've got so far... I'd be pretty happy anywhere in the Northeast... Yes, all resorts aren't created equal... But if it goes well this year, maybe next year I will explore other options... It would be easier to score a job somewhere else (MRV/Stowe/Jay) if I had some experience...

I'm not busting your balls at all, I'm just telling you what I know. I have no less than a dozen friends who are or were patroller's.

No offense to you, my cousin is WFR certified and its great but isn't the same as EMT-B and those are some serious hills.

Wait are you trying to be a volunteer ? If so my fuckup I thought you were trying to get paid, in that case I'm a retard.

Wait are you trying to be a volunteer ? If so my fuckup I thought you were trying to get paid, in that case I'm a retard.

If I get paid, I get paid... If I don't, then I'll find a different job to pay for my living lol... I'm pretty open... I COMPLETELY understand that WFR is not EMT or OEC, and doesn't teach you entirely the same things... All I can tell you is that I have contacted these mountains and they accept WFR as a means of certification for their ski patrol... Unfortunately, time is short and if I want to do it this year (as business obligations at home grow), then this is my best option... If I am able to do it again next year I will pursue EMT at home or OEC up north...

As a disclaimer, I am not getting defensive, I am just stating what I know of the before mentioned mountains... If they will take WFR, and that is what I can get this year, then I'll go with that and worry about more intense training later...

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

If I get paid, I get paid... If I don't, then I'll find a different job to pay for my living lol... I'm pretty open... I COMPLETELY understand that WFR is not EMT or OEC, and doesn't teach you entirely the same things... All I can tell you is that I have contacted these mountains and they accept WFR as a means of certification for their ski patrol... Unfortunately, time is short and if I want to do it this year (as business obligations at home grow), then this is my best option... If I am able to do it again next year I will pursue EMT at home or OEC up north...

Wow I am shocked at WFR only for pro patrollers, to be 100% clear the dude's got a broken leg lets fix it stuff is actually probably better in WFR but EMT-B teaches you more about how the body works and more about equipment. Most patrolling is more ambulance based than say true guide types. Vail resorts and Copper are definitely 100 EMT-B.

I wonder how far you can get on WFR only, most patrol houses are tiered. Volly's at rung 1, paid newbs and part timers at rung 2 and professional's at rung 3. The 3 level is where you want to be if you want to throw bombs and do cool shit all the rest are on bamboo and ropes.

Regardless you are doing something great for the snowsports community, seriously its the lord's work.

Wow I am shocked at WFR only for pro patrollers, to be 100% clear the dude's got a broken leg lets fix it stuff is actually probably better in WFR but EMT-B teaches you more about how the body works and more about equipment. Most patrolling is more ambulance based than say true guide types. Vail resorts and Copper are definitely 100 EMT-B.

I wonder how far you can get on WFR only, most patrol houses are tiered. Volly's at rung 1, paid newbs and part timers at rung 2 and professional's at rung 3. The 3 level is where you want to be if you want to throw bombs and do cool shit all the rest are on bamboo and ropes.

Regardless you are doing something great for the snowsports community, seriously its the lord's work.

Yeah, I completely understand... Really, I just want to try it out... To be 100% honest, I know its tough work, and I know I'm starting out on the bottom... I'm cool with that... If its not for me, I'll try out something else... I'm sure I'll keep you all up to date on how it plays out...

There's no way u can make a living as a ski patroller. So would u live in a skitown during the winter? Why on the east coast..go west young grasshopper!!!!

I like the East Coast, the West Coast is hardcore, and I am not leaving my job at home... I will still have to do some work on my off time at the mountain including driving home every once in awhile to take care of some things...

.....the West Coast is hardcore...

LMAO

it's about as hard core out here as the pussycat dolls

If you enjoy skiing and any/all other outdoor activities, you could do a lot worse than CO or CA. Fear of the unknown and family ties are the biggest things that stop people moving, one of those is easy to overcome.

Ride D'ware,

Have you ever been out to the western resorts? If not, and you are seriously considering a life as a ski patroller, I would highly recommend that you spend a week or more in a western mountain area before you make any moves into Vermont. I fully understand that people have ties to the east coast, and I really enjoyed my time there (8 years with no family ties to keep me there), but for a career in the ski industry, the options both in and out of season (which are much longer out here) have to be much improved, with bigger resorts, more opportunities, bigger terrain and hence more varied experience, more options to do guiding etc etc etc.

Not that I would knock the eastern resorts but I would just imagine the ones out here would offer a much better career path.

Move to Tahoe, live in Truckee, ski patrol from November to May/June, backcountry a little longer, mountain bike and rafting for the summer months, start your own Cat/Heli/Guiding operation. I an sure CO has similar options.

The only things you would miss are fresh (maine) lobster and frostbite and mosquito bites.

• Like 1

Alright, in case anyone missed this at some point (which some have)... I help run my family business... I will not be giving that up... This will be a one, MAYBE two year WINTER job... This is not a career change... I will also be working while at the mountain and may need to return if circumstances dictate/allow... I have been out west in March 08 when Steamboat broke their record, Whistler, Keystone, and Loveland... I've got nothing against it... Each to his own... I will regret not working at a ski area at all... Whether it's in the East or West I really don't care... I love the East Coast and I love traveling out west... That's about it... If I do this and get the itch to go west next year, then maybe I will...

And maybe fall (Autumn)...

I think there are a number of out here who include ski patrolling as part of a patchwork of jobs like river or fishing guide, etc. that can make a livable wage. Siblet's boyfriend is a patroller, a fishing guide/ranch manager, and edits a magazine in his "spare" time. I can tell you, though, that he doesn't have a lot of "play time" because he is pretty much booked up with work most of the year. The work is "fun work", though. And he has managed to invest some money over the last few years. His brother is a fishing guide, Iditarod guide (for tourists watching the race) and a bartender. He's pretty frantic as well. His guiding is all over the country now as he's freelance, so he's always off somewhere or other. I think there are a ton of people out west living like this. I think it takes some commitment and connections to be able to sustain this life and eventually have a family.

I was typing this as the above posting came in...

Edited by sibhusky

And maybe fall (Autumn)...

I think there are a number of out here who include ski patrolling as part of a patchwork of jobs like river or fishing guide, etc. that can make a livable wage. Siblet's boyfriend is a patroller, a fishing guide/ranch manager, and edits a magazine in his "spare" time. I can tell you, though, that he doesn't have a lot of "play time" because he is pretty much booked up with work most of the year. The work is "fun work", though. And he has managed to invest some money over the last few years. His brother is a fishing guide, Iditarod guide (for tourists watching the race) and a bartender. He's pretty frantic as well. His guiding is all over the country now as he's freelance, so he's always off somewhere or other. I think there are a ton of people out west living like this. I think it takes some commitment and connections to be able to sustain this life and eventually have a family.

I was typing this as the above posting came in...

And that's definitely not my lifestyle... Too frantic and stressful going from job to job for me... I'm just doing it to experience something new before I settle down...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm roadtripping with the sickest PA skiers for first frost. Probably hit backside of Mount Washington for a warmup run.

Any skiing before root friday is a bonus

I'd be down for an early morning frost run. Carpool?