Light @ the end of the Tunnel

When does Whitefish usually open? They open earlier than projected most years?

It varies. When I first moved here, they attempted to open by Thanksgiving and one year beat that. However, it was COSTING them big time and people would show up that weekend and then not show up again until the front opened. Then Foley took over and the new word was "profit". They pushed back the opening until the first weekend in December and...guess what, the snow gods agreed with that opening until last year. Then last year we got a TON of snow and for the first time we opened with not just the back, but close to 100% of the terrain open. Clearly we could have opened earlier and let people get their legs back until we had 100%. But, when they were doing that, they were using snowguns to do it and they were drawing down their agreed allotment of water from the Haskill Basin drainage faster than they liked, leaving them in a precarious position for the rest of the winter. Plus, since they opened not just for Thanksgiving, but every day after that, they were running lifts and not putting butts in them. This year's opening (if the website is up to date) will be Dec. 4. ... But since that's a Sunday, I'm thinking it's a leftover, but it gives you an idea of the likely weekend. Last year they stayed open a week longer than they had recently due to the La Nina that was forecast. We actually got more and more snow after they closed, reaching the highest snow pack for the year AFTER closing day.... and it lasted and lasted. Since last I looked there was no or only maybe a weak La Nina forecast for the coming winter, I'm not expecting much. I'm hoping it's colder, frankly, the snow is better then. It was on the warm side last winter.

as much as i like your optimism, i think you are setting yourself up for disapointment.

Happens every year... Lol.... According to my memory, I can't remember many years in the past 10 when this hasn't occurred... But I'll leave that stuff to the data hoarders...

• 3 weeks later...

not making a new thread since nobody ever contributes anything worth two shits. none the less i think this qualifies as light at the end of the tunnel:

http://vimeo.com/backcountryski/solitairetrailer

I'll keep trying harder... Definitely rises the stoke market... Heard some crazy rumor that there were some fine snow particles this morning at the peak of the Bush... Even if its bullshit, we are definitely getting closer... In another month there will probably be snow falling out west, snowmaking at Loveland and A-Basin, and snowmaking tests in the NE... Sweet!!!

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

Heard some crazy rumor that there were some fine snow particles this morning at the peak of the Bush... Even if its bullshit, we are definitely getting closer...

me too....they actually posted that on their facebook page. kinda balls-y if you ask me. but hey, if it's true i'll def take it, lol! :rock

It doesn't snow every month on the summit of Mount Wahington every year. It has in years past. I'm not believing that it snowed at Sugarbush unless I see a picture of a flake.

I agree... Temps were only in the upper 30's, so I think it's a stretch, but who am I to question what mountain ops says lol

Ride Deleware is pretty active on here I think living so far from the mountains has him feening for ski season even more.

OutCold used to live here too, but then he moved closer to the promise land... But I definitely jones harder and longer because my season is so short...

• 2 weeks later...

Ride Deleware this is the season u are gonna ride alot...no excuses.

If I don't score a job at SR (I'm pretty sure I will and I should know within the next two weeks), then I'm aiming for like 40 days... If I score this job, I should get 80 days just from working... It would be nice if I could get to 95 or 100...

Ride if you don't score the job u should still move to whatever skitown you want to live in and be a skibum. I think it's funny that out of anyplace u choose Sunday River....go west young grasshopper or at least Stowe or Sugarbush for the abundant natural snow.

It's just the place I wanted to go... Are there better? Yes... I'm not denying that... That's just where I wanted to go... If I'm lucky we will get a condo or something at the Bush and then I will get the goods... Going anywhere will be a win for me!!!

super sickbird..I could probably take off a month during ski season..the thing is..the boss is delegating his work to me so he can retire..I need to find somebody to delegate my work to..

That's what happens to me after this year... What about your office manager? It sounded like you were her bitch already? When do the roles reverse?