Phresheez at Sierra-at-Tahoe woo woo

phresheez

Hey all,

Just thought I'd drop by and let you know that we've inked a deal with Sierra-at-Tahoe to give you Phresheez completely free when you ski or ride there. So if you're coming out to Tahoe this season, definitely check out Sierra not only because it's a fun place, but now because of Phresheez too. Best of all is that we've built a resort-wide leader board so you can compete with everybody else running Phresheez on the day that you ski/ride there!

That said, we know that you all have literally put Pa on the map for us. If you know folks at resorts in your neck of the woods that we could talk to... we'd love to get the same deal for you all in Pa too. If you can share some contacts, and/or introduce us, that would be great. Contact me off-list at mike@phresheez.com if you have any ideas.

Can't wait for you all to start getting out there... Pray for snow!

Mike

we changed our model this year so that you get the first two hours of skiing/riding free, and then you can use in-app purchase to buy the day (or season). so you'll always get to see you and your friends results now. check it out, it's a lot easier and friendlier.

Mike

How about a PASR discount? hmmm...just an idea. i think with a little incentive most people would do it. just my worthless 2 cents though.

we changed our model this year so that you get the first two hours of skiing/riding free, and then you can use in-app purchase to buy the day (or season). so you'll always get to see you and your friends results now. check it out, it's a lot easier and friendlier.

Mike

have you looked into changing your pricing/revenue structure to something ad-based? just wondering. maybe i'm cheap, because i'm coming at this from the perspective of a developer who uses 'free' open source software daily, but i don't think i have a single paid-for app on my iphone. i'm not at all opposed to following links to in-app ads if it's something that's relevant to me, and obviously you're targeting a very niche market, so it'd be pretty easy to place relevant ads for backcountry.com, porters tahoe, evo, etc in that app if they'd be willing to get on board. i'm sure you've probably looked into all this already, but just throwing it out there. also, there are a lot of local ski area reps on here, and now that the season is quickly approaching, i'm sure they'll be checking in, and hopefully seeing this to reach out to you. maybe you could work on some type of foursquare sort of deal, where the 'mayor' or whatever the equivalent is in your app, gets like 20% off in the skier store that day or something like that? could be more of an incentive for people to use your app and would be good promotion material for the ski area too.

Justo -- we did ads last year. The only people getting rich off of ads are google and apple, IMO -- sure not us. What we really want is for resorts to pick up the tab for our users like Sierra-at-Tahoe is doing now. Vail has EpicMix but Phresheez is much better and has way more content. Considering that it's rumored that Vail dropped about $25M into EpicMix, a resort using Phresheez as their answer is a *vastly* cheaper alternative, and we've been at this for 4 seasons now so it's not like it's just vapor... we could literally have Blue Mountain up and running to give their guests free Phresheez in minutes.

And yes, the promo possibilities for them are limitless. That's why we'd love if some of you got the word out for us :)

Mike

Justo -- we did ads last year. The only people getting rich off of ads are google and apple, IMO -- sure not us. What we really want is for resorts to pick up the tab for our users like Sierra-at-Tahoe is doing now. Vail has EpicMix but Phresheez is much better and has way more content. Considering that it's rumored that Vail dropped about $25M into EpicMix, a resort using Phresheez as their answer is a *vastly* cheaper alternative, and we've been at this for 4 seasons now so it's not like it's just vapor... we could literally have Blue Mountain up and running to give their guests free Phresheez in minutes.

And yes, the promo possibilities for them are limitless. That's why we'd love if some of you got the word out for us :)

Mike

right, right. i'm very well aware that in most cases, it's the ad networks that make the money, not the actual website or app serving up the ads. Online ads are certainly not in the same price level as traditional print ads are yet, unfortunately, even though they can be even more specifically targeted. blue's email pulled right from their contact page is information@skibluemt.com. hit them up, they're making a lot of changes up there, and i know they've responded to me and many others on this board when we emailed them in the past. good luck!

Ok, I just mailed them... Usually those generic addresses are black holes for any reason, but if you've got a response from it maybe there's something on the other end :)

it probably wouldn't hurt for them to get your feedback too... the more they hear the better!

Mike

Rootdjk -- are you planning on getting a non-blackberry any time soon? We've given up on them as they're both impossible to work with and they're dying (don't get me started about them requiring a business plan for free app). The experience on iPhone and Android are miles better... not sure if you've seen the emulator on our website but you might want to check it out to see what it looks like.

Mike

Ok, I just mailed them... Usually those generic addresses are black holes for any reason, but if you've got a response from it maybe there's something on the other end :)

it probably wouldn't hurt for them to get your feedback too... the more they hear the better!

Mike

Rootdjk -- are you planning on getting a non-blackberry any time soon? We've given up on them as they're both impossible to work with and they're dying (don't get me started about them requiring a business plan for free app). The experience on iPhone and Android are miles better... not sure if you've seen the emulator on our website but you might want to check it out to see what it looks like.

Mike

Not unless you want to loan me a demo smartphone to do some East Coast testing with. :yes

I don't actually own a cell phone, my employer provides it to me so the price is right. I haven't been on the website in a while but I'll check it out.

Will the BB app still work (and by work, I really mean transmit data to your servers)?

Yeah, the BB app still works fine as far as I know. It's just that it has the same limited UI.

The real answer is that your employer needs to get with the 21st century :)

Mike

HA! I work for the 2nd largest ISP in the country. Go figure.